Thread: Founding Father Quotes

Post imported post

I've seen quite a few good quotes over the years from our founding fathers that prove that they felt it was important for citizens to have the right to keep & bare arms. Here's one of my favorites - feel free to share yours too

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself! They are the American people's Liberty Teeth and keystone under Independence. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurances, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere, restrains evil interference -- they deserve a place of honor with all that's good!" President George Washington, in a speech to Congress. 7 January, 1790

Post imported post

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Post imported post

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

-Thomas Jefferson-

Post imported post

Mine is not a founding father quote but it is my favorite one.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. - Sigmund Freud
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    --James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    -- George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380

Post imported post

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"- Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution Shall Never Authorize Congress to Infringe (on) The Just Liberty Of "the people" Of The United States Who Are Peaceable Citizens From Keeping Their Arms." Samuel Adams