• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.380 opinions

bellbw

imported post

I have been reading and reading about the .380 as a defense caliber. I know there is a big debate, but that is not the point of this post. Assuming that it is pretty ineffective as a defense round, where should one aim if trying to defend against an attacker. I read in Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob that theya used them to try and kill animals that were being killed to be used for food (a pig I think it was) and when shot in the head there were very few types of bullets that even made it through the skull barely far enough to hit the brain. Because of this, they deamed it unfit for the slaughter because they want it to be a painless death for the animal which the .380 did not deliver. It said the most effective was the Golden Saber which is 102 grains (heaviest for the .380). The Winchester Silvertips and federal hydrashok were also as effective as it got. Now to the reason for me writing.

I carry .380 often (in the winter time I have atleast 38 special on me, but otherwise I carry my p3at anywhere I go) and was wondering...I have federal hydrashoks btw...if Iwere to fend off an attacker, where should I aim? Would I be better off aiming low and hoping to wound them long enough to get away, or go for a headshot which may not even penetrate the skull? All opinions welcome.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bellbw wrote:
SNIP...if Iwere to fend off an attacker, where should I aim? Would I be better off aiming low and hoping to wound them long enough to get away, or go for a headshot which may not even penetrate the skull? All opinions welcome.
Conventional wisdom is that the head is too small a target to reliably hit when you are moving to cover and the bad guy is dodging at the sight of a gun.

Go for center of mass. Just apply the maxim, "Shoot and keep shooting until the threat is over."

LEO 229

imported post

Some people expect a LEO to shoot to wound. Aim for the shoulder and let them live.

But when the person is a threat.. like Citizen said.. Shoot center mass and keep it up till they stop.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Also, unless it is just not possible, you'll want to get a sidearm with more muzzle-energy.

I've done a fair amount of reading. Too many bad-guys have taken multiple hits, even with 38's, and kept coming. You don't want to take a knife between the ribsby someone you've mortally wounded, but is still capable of offensive action.

Its a subject worth reading up on.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Like any other handgun ammunition terminal ballistics discussion, there are too many variables to really come to a conclusion about which caliber is better. Generally, though, look for 12-16" of penetration. Be careful in evaluating your carry ammunition. Modern expanding 380 ammunition will probably be fine if you do your job. Just become proficient with the gun and be able to score hits against a moving target while moving yourself.

jenzenk

imported post

LEO, I'm a LE Firearms instructor so back me up here if you agree...

Center mass is your best bet, largest target, largest concentration of vital organs.

In a defense situation fine motor skills deteriorate so also learn to instinctively shoot, ie-point and squeeze the trigger. Most defensive situations occur under 7 yards or so, so a fist size knot of shots at 25 yards usually isn't required. Also, the old addage a slower hit is better that a fast miss always holds true, plus if you miss your intended target, ie-the threat, where is that round going to end up? The wall? An innocent bystanders kidney? It's a HUGE responsibility.

On the subject of caliber, I don't offer any advice on size... shoot the gun you shoot best, be it a .45 or a .380. Shooting a comfortable handgun you shoot well is the most important factor I can think of in a defensive situation when you have choice of what gun you'll carry.

When confronting multiple assailants, "Border House Rules" apply, that is everyone gets first before anyone gets seconds.

And on an outside note, when you become proficient with your sidearm, if center mass isn't working on an assailant, the pelvic girdle works wonders for putting someone down.

LEO 229

imported post

jenzenk wrote:

Center mass is your best bet, largest target, largest concentration of vital organs.

In a defense situation fine motor skills deteriorate so also learn to instinctively shoot, ie-point and squeeze the trigger. Most defensive situations occur under 7 yards or so, so a fist size knot of shots at 25 yards usually isn't required. Also, the old addage a slower hit is better that a fast miss always holds true, plus if you miss your intended target, ie-the threat, where is that round going to end up? The wall? An innocent bystanders kidney? It's a HUGE responsibility.

On the subject of caliber, I don't offer any advice on size... shoot the gun you shoot best, be it a .45 or a .380. Shooting a comfortable handgun you shoot well is the most important factor I can think of in a defensive situation when you have choice of what gun you'll carry.

When confronting multiple assailants, "Border House Rules" apply, that is everyone gets first before anyone gets seconds.

And on an outside note, when you become proficient with your sidearm, if center mass isn't working on an assailant, the pelvic girdle works wonders for putting someone down.

I agree with all you stated.

It is hard enough to hit a small or specific target when your relaxed and well rested. When your stressed and moving around looking for cover.... your lucky to even hit the target at all.

Hitting the organs versus a head shot is more practical. Wounding as many as possible will limit the ability for a threats to continue to accurately engage you.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jenzenk wrote:

In a defense situation fine motor skills deteriorate so also learn to instinctively shoot, ie-point and squeeze the trigger.  Most defensive situations occur under 7 yards or so, so a fist size knot of shots at 25 yards usually isn't required.  Also, the old addage a slower hit is better that a fast miss always holds true, plus if you miss your intended target, ie-the threat, where is that round going to end up?  The wall? An innocent bystanders kidney?  It's a HUGE responsibility.

On the subject of caliber, I don't offer any advice on size... shoot the gun you shoot best, be it a .45 or a .380.  Shooting a comfortable handgun you shoot well is the most important factor I can think of in a defensive situation when you have choice of what gun you'll carry.

+1 here too.

But Unless you just have no options, a little more oomph would be a very good idea. A .380 auto makes a very nice backup gun, but is not so good as a primary defense weapon. But it is certainly better than your fists.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
I don't know, I'm pretty good with my fists too...also elbows, knees, and shins.

Well. I am afraid my skill in hand to hand, is what convinced me to become skilled with a firearm. Fist fighting just hurts too much the next day, and I don't heal like I did when I was 20.

I have broken a few knuckles with my jaw and forehead though.:banghead:

Regards

Wooley

imported post

Try using the bottom of your hand. The "hammer fist". Imagine holding a beer can with your hand wrapped around it...nice and cold, frosty, you can hear the fizz....uh, anyways set the can down on the table. Now using the same motion without the can in your paw make a fist andnotice the part of your handthat hits the table. Thats the hammer fist and its much better suited for street fighting.

Hawk, you should maybe try the hammer fist a couple times on people that you've already "supressed" with other means until you get the hang of it. :p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
Try using the bottom of your hand. The "hammer fist". Imagine holding a beer can with your hand wrapped around it...nice and cold, frosty, you can hear the fizz....uh, anyways set the can down on the table. Now using the same motion without the can in your paw make a fist and notice the part of your hand that hits the table. Thats the hammer fist and its much better suited for street fighting.

Hawk, you should maybe try the hammer fist a couple times on people that you've already "supressed" with other means until you get the hang of it. :p

So you are saying that this works better than a .45 slide to the cheek of the opponent? I usually follow up with a promise to add a nostril if the hostilities do not stop immediately.:what:

markand

imported post

Some say .380 isn't enough for defensive purposes. I'd offer the opinion that even a .22 beats bare hands. Carry a handgun of the largest caliber you are willing and able to carry all the time, or that is right for the situation. A .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home in the safe.

Now if only somebody would invent a round that fits a gun the size of a North American mini-revolver, but has the knock down punch of a .500 S & W, well, we'd have something, wouldn't we.

Collier4385

imported post

My PPK/S is chambered for .380. I use Remington 95 grain FMJ's as my practice/real life round. They shoot well, and a FMJ penetrated deep enough for a .380. Overpenetration is not a concern for a .380 FMJ. I do not have much faith in JHP for this small caliber.

A .380 will get the job done. Whilst it does not pack the whallop of a 40 or .45, it is important to remember that there is no magic bullet. It took the local PD 8 .45 rounds to stop a threat...

No .380 round can do very wrong if lodged in someone's chest.

LEO 229

imported post

Wooley wrote:
I don't know, I'm pretty good with my fists too...also elbows, knees, and shins.

I am not that bad either...

You know the saying.. he brought a knife to a gun fight.. same thing goes for bringing personal weapons.

People do not settle an argument with a fist fight anymore. They would rather prove their point by shooting you.

Times have really changed.

LEO 229

imported post

markand wrote:
Some say .380 isn't enough for defensive purposes. I'd offer the opinion that even a .22 beats bare hands. Carry a handgun of the largest caliber you are willing and able to carry all the time, or that is right for the situation. A .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home in the safe.

Now if only somebody would invent a round that fits a gun the size of a North American mini-revolver, but has the knock down punch of a .500 S & W, well, we'd have something, wouldn't we.

I have a .380 and it is just a little bit smaller than a 9mm. The nice thing about my .380 is that is is so very small but still packs a big punch.

That .22 can kill you too if the shot is placed in the right location.

You have to be a good shot if you carry a small caliber gun. Head, throat, heart, Lung,groin.... all areas that will help stop a person dead in their tracks.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Handguns are relatively low powered firearms to begin with.For a defensive sidearm,you want to usethe most powerful hangun which you can carry comfortably (and for which there are no excuses not to carry) and which you can use proficiently and consistently. If that has to be a .380, then so be it. If it is a .40 S&W or .45ACP, so much the better. The main thing is it must be a weapon with which you are comfortable with and confident in, and which meets your carrying needs and requirements.

Secondly, once chosen, the most important factors of a defensive handgun in order of priority are; 1) Reliability - the gun MUST go bang when you need it to. 2) Practical Accuracy - you and the gun must be able to deliver fire to the target as effectively as possible. 3) Power - the cartridge must have sufficient power to deliver a bullet with enough force and penetration to minimize potential injury to yourself from your assailant(the fabled one or few shot stops).

bellbw

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Handguns are relatively low powered firearms to begin with.For a defensive sidearm,you want to usethe most powerful hangun which you can carry comfortably (and for which there are no excuses not to carry) and which you can use proficiently and consistently. If that has to be a .380, then so be it. If it is a .40 S&W or .45ACP, so much the better. The main thing is it must be a weapon with which you are comfortable with and confident in, and which meets your carrying needs and requirements.

Secondly, once chosen, the most important factors of a defensive handgun in order of priority are; 1) Reliability - the gun MUST go bang when you need it to. 2) Practical Accuracy - you and the gun must be able to deliver fire to the target as effectively as possible. 3) Power - the cartridge must have sufficient power to deliver a bullet with enough force and penetration to minimize potential injury to yourself from your assailant (the fabled one or few shot stops).
This is why I try to carry my .38 revolver most of the time. I used to feel the reliability of my bersa thunder .380 was enough to bet my life on, but it finally jammed after a year of shooting it. Made me feel really uneasy about having an auto for anything other than range shooting. I wish my revolver would hold more than five...seems that the general pattern of robberies around here occur with multiple attackers. I imagine after those first five shots even with a speed loader you don't have much more of a chance of getting away. Once those five are shot I plan on running really fast. I just stick to the rule quoted earlier..everyone gets firsts before anyone gets seconds. I also am planning on buying some pepper spray since I am not allowed to carry on campus during the school year:cuss: