• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member, open carry question

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey guys, i have a question

do you all carry printed out information showing that it IS legal to open carry with an unloaded gun without a permit?

and should I carry that information incase a police officer doesnt agree with me?

where can i print out where it says that it IS LEGAL to open carry without a permit?

unrequited

imported post

Some do, most don't. I personally carry a copy of BobCav's wonderful pamphlet here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html in my car glove compartment just in case I want to hand a copy to a uninformed cop after an encounter, or to a inquisitive person who's thinking about it. Unfortunately nothing like this has been made for Utah yet, but you could find all of the pertinent laws at sites like handgunlaws.us and packing.org and of course opencarry.org's main page. What you really want to do is find the state code #'s and look that up yourself to make sure they're all current.

Most of your encounters will be a test of your confidence, and knowledge in the laws itself, because if a LEO wants to give you a hard time, no sheet of paper will be sufficient, but a confident attitude and a calm, professional demeanor might be enough to make your case of your completely legal activities.

Good luck, and welcome to the board, you've found a wonderful community of people who are willing to help.

b1ack5mith

imported post

thanks man! this is gonna be fun! id be so afraid of the cop makin me nervous just cause of his questioning and stuff ya know?

unrequited

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
thanks man! this is gonna be fun! id be so afraid of the cop makin me nervous just cause of his questioning and stuff ya know?
The great thing is your first LEO encounter doesn't have to be your "first"... read the various forums for what people have done wrong and right, and you'll get a good feel for how to act and how not to lose your cool or get scared. Remember they're there to enforce laws, not make them up on the spot, so if you're legally oc/cc'ing, don't fret, while you may be temporarily harassed/detained/whatever, the long term benefit for you and others is increased public awareness, and hopefully increasingly pleasant LEO encounters.

b1ack5mith

imported post

thanks man! i just keep playing this scenario back in my mind where im in the back of his car, and hes like "sorry" and im like "GIMME MY GUN BACK!" lmao!

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey guys, i was diggin around in the "Utah Codes" yet i couldnt find where it says that it is okay to open carry a weapon as long as its two actions from firing, can someone show me where?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

As far as keeping the law on your person, probably not a bad idea, but as far as the police, most of them won't take it for what its printed on.

I have been encountered by an LEO once, and I was at a fountain pop machine, he asked where I was going that I needed a gun (not that it was his business to begin with) I told him East Chicago, he then told me that he would have had a machine gun to go there, nothing negative, nice enough guy.

Leo229, provides some good information on this stuff too.

b1ack5mith

imported post

ooo cool! well ive been thinkin what id say to an officer if he asked why im packing... id probably say "i have a right to carry a firearm, and to defend myself and others"

Tomahawk

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ooo cool! well ive been thinkin what id say to an officer if he asked why im packing... id probably say "i have a right to carry a firearm, and to defend myself and others"

When I get asked why I carry it, I just say, "Self defense". That's all. Then I wait for any follow-on questions, which usually go something like:

Are you expecting trouble? (No, but I don't expect to wreck my car, either, yet I wear a seatbelt.)

Don't you think that might scare people? (Maybe, maybe not. It shouldn't, as I'm not brandishing itor threatening anyone with it.)

What if someone feels threatened by it? (What if they feel threatened by the sight of a bunch of motorcycles in the parking lot? What if they are scared of a Led Zeppelin T-shirt? What if they are scared of my ugly face? I'm not going to stop living my life freely because someone else might feel threatened.)

Well, I don't think you should carry! (You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Have a nice day.)