• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carrying a loaded handgun

nick

imported post

Can anyone tell me what the laws are in Maine for open carrying a loaded handgun. Can the gun be loaded while open carrying or does it have to be unloaded inless carrying concealed? My email is trappernick22000@hotmail.com if anyone can answer this i would appreciate it. Thank you, nick

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit.

Refer to main map and click on Maine. Also www.handgunlaws.us & www.packing.org

nick

imported post

ok, i know its perfectly legal to openly carry in maine, and i have a CCW permit so its no problem carrying in my car either, but what do i do if a LEO stops me and says its not legal, or i need to conceal it while carrying in stores? Should i comply and conceal it or tell him its legal to open carry? Oh, and will the nervous feeling go away after time? i feel everyone is staring at me lol.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

nick wrote:
ok, i know its perfectly legal to openly carry in maine, and i have a CCW permit so its no problem carrying in my car either, but what do i do if a LEO stops me and says its not legal, or i need to conceal it while carrying in stores? Should i comply and conceal it or tell him its legal to open carry? Oh, and will the nervous feeling go away after time? i feel everyone is staring at me lol.
The feeling goes away, yes.

If an LEO stops you, I would definately inform him that he is going on bad information, also, verbally refuse any search of you or your vehicle, so you can point all that out in your complaint to be filed later :)

I would not just say, well its legal, and run off. Ask if you are being detained, and if you are, then you should probably comply with what he asks. It is better to get out with a few words from the LEO, and then file complaints later based on his/her actions.

mattjohnston87

imported post

nick wrote:
but what do i do if a LEO stops me and says its not legal, or i need to conceal it while carrying in stores? Should i comply and conceal it or tell him its legal to open carry? Oh, and will the nervous feeling go away after time? i feel everyone is staring at me lol.

Know the law, use the law.

nick

imported post

I went into a local mall today to do some shopping and was OCing the whole time, i had no problems at all the entire time, but i left and went into an Irving and the clerk asked if i was LE and i replied no, she acted like i was going to shoot her... I assured her I was perfectly legal and also had a permit, its so stupid how people today think anyone with a gun is going to murder or shoot someone!

Deuce1911

imported post

i agree with that. the way around it is to let the public know. everyone i meet i eventually steer the conversation to the fact that OC is legal in maine. it makes it easier to do this when i am OCing myself, instead of just blurting it out lol