• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Murder In Cheyenne

Mjolnir

imported post

18local_07-14-07.jpg

Estranged husband sought in wake of shooting

By Becky Orr

David M. Munis

borr@wyomingnews.com

CHEYENNE - Police are looking for the estranged husband of a woman who was shot and killed early this morning at a restaurant on Cheyenne's north side.

Police are looking for David M. Munis, 36, of Cheyenne. He has counter training in the military as a sniper, said Cheyenne Police Capt. Jeff Schulz.

"We believe him very dangerous," Jeff Schulz said during an afternoon news conference today.

Munis is attached to a Wyoming Army National Guard unit in Guernsey.

The suspect has brown hair and hazel eyes, Schulz said.

Robin Munis, 40, of 7003 Pasadena, was singing with a band at Old Chicago at 1734 Meadlowland early this morning when she was shot and killed.

David Munis is "known to have several long guns," Schulz said. Among them are a .308 rifle and 7-millimeter rifle.

"We don't know if (the guns) were with him or not," Schulz said. "We know that he owns them."

The shot came from outside the bar, and Robin Munoz was killed inside.

"We are working solely on him being the suspect," Schulz said of David Munis. "Obviously, things could change."

The couple is going through a separation, Schulz added.

David Munis also made a harassing phone call to her earlier on July 13.

"We have no reason to believe that we've got anyone other than Mr. Munis who is responsible for it," Schulz said.

Police have found no criminal record on him.

He is believed to be driving a black 1999 four-door, extended cab Dodge Ram pickup. There is some type of gray on the bottom of the vehicle, Schulz said.

"We believe Mrs. Munis was killed with one shot from a rifle," Schulz said. "We have recovered the bullet at the scene."

David Munis has family in Montana, about 12 hours from Cheyenne.

"We've been in contact with them; they've been very cooperative," Schulz said. "Obviously, everybody just wants him to come in (and) talk to us so we can straighten these things out."

Police don't know if the shooter was alone.

"But that is an entirely our belief," Schulz said.

There are no eyewitnesses to David Munis shooting the gun, but eyewitnesses put him in the area at the time, Schulz said.

Schulz said that police are not certain of the shooter's exact location of outside Old Chicago.

"We're not certain where he was when he took the shot," Schulz said.

The crime team is doing tests to help determine that.

"It could have been in the parking lot. It could have been a long ways away. We don't know that," Schulz said.

No one else was hurt.

Police don't have roadblocks up. They are keeping an eye on a couple of houses; only one is in the area, Schulz said.

"We don't believe he has returned there," he added. "We were out there last night, and he wasn't there last night. But we don't know if he's for sure left the area."

Lt. Rob Korber of the Cheyenne Police Department said the victim apparently was hit in the head with one gunshot from outside the restaurant.

Police were called to the scene shortly after midnight Saturday. Officers cordoned off the parking area with yellow police tape.

As of 10 this morning, the tape had been taken down. The restaurant was to open at 11 a.m.

The area looked peaceful once again. Someone had taped a large piece of dark, thin plastic across a door that leads to the outdoor patio. The glass in the door had been shattered.

Some of the woman's family members were at the scene early this morning, but they were unavailable for comment.

The woman died at the scene.

At 4 a.m. Saturday, Laramie County Coroner Marty Luna, an assistant and some law enforcement officers removed the body from the bar area.

What you can do

Cheyenne Police are looking for suspect David M. Munis, 36, of Cheyenne, in the shooting death of his estranged wife, Robin Munis, 40, on Saturday morning at the Old Chicago restaurant.

He is thought to be driving a 1999 black Dodge pickup truck with Wyoming registration NG-975.

If someone spots the vehicle, call the Cheyenne Police Department, 637-6524. Do not contact anyone inside, police said in a news release. People also can call the detective division, 637-6510, or the tip line at 638-TIPS.

For more on the story - including interviews with those who were at the scene at the time of the shooting - see Sunday's Wyoming Tribune-Eagle. Also, see http://www.wyomingnews.com for further news developments.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

She was shot from outside;they have info that he has sniper training. They have no reason to suspect anybody else?

Sounds like another reason to keep warrants, indictments, and jury trials.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, while it is probable that he did it (statistically)... we don't know if he's unreachable cause he's on a long campout or not.
Should he be a "person of interest?" Yes.
Should he be treated as a murderer? No. We don't know if he did it.

Citizen, I TOTALLY agree with you with one addition. Get some friggin jurors who don't act on emotion!!!!

Sig229

imported post

Whoa!
I think i have met this guy a couple of years ago.
I used to shoot a lot in the Pawnee Grasslands. And a guy that looks a lot like him had just bought a XD9 and was trying it out.

Cant be sure or anything, but I spoke with him and he said that he does practice long range for "work" out in the grasslands when we got to talking abotu rifles.

cwwyarng

imported post

That was really a very crazy deal. I'm in the wyoming guard and he was one of the group of recruiters of the RSP unit that I was in when I joined. The guy had it all going for him....

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ilbob wrote:
How is that every now and thena year old thread gets resurrected?
A new member joins and gets caught up on old posts. He replies without noticing the thread he's reading is a year old. No biggie.

Welcome to OCDO, cwwyarng!

cwwyarng

imported post

I knew it was a year old, was still fresh in my mind though because I was in that restaurant about a week and a half ago. Lol And who's teasin anyways. The experienced members that are still looking at old posts.......