• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Tucson

PavePusher

imported post

I'm moving to Tucson soon (two to three weeks, very short notice PCS), from England. Can anyone recommend a good gun shop and/or range? It's time to stock the armory again, and shake off the rusty skills. Also looking for a good place for CCW/tac skills classes. Thanks!

azcdlfred

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I'm moving to Tucson soon (two to three weeks, very short notice PCS), from England. Can anyone recommend a good gun shop and/or range? It's time to stock the armory again, and shake off the rusty skills. Also looking for a good place for CCW/tac skills classes. Thanks!

Welcome! I live in Tucson. There are many CCW instructors in the area. You can find a list at the DPS CCW site. I also recommend Charles Heller, a local talk radio show host &Secretary of AzCDL, as well as CCW instructor. He can be reached through LibertyWatchRadioor via email.

There are plenty of places to shoot. Tucson Shooting has a list. Pima County runs two ranges. One almost brand new at the Fairgrounds and one in Tucson Mountain Park. I volunteer at the Tucson Mountain Park range. It's hard to beat the view - it's at the base of a mountain in a county park.

Charles Heller and others on this list can tell you where to buy. Personally, I prefer buying at gun shows.

To strengthen your skills, there is Gunsite in Paulden, Arizona, or Front Sight (my favorite (outside) of Las Vegas. You can find Front Sight training certificates real cheap online.

Fred

PavePusher

imported post

Thanks azcdlfred! That's exactly the info I will need when I get there. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been busy with all the paperwork and legwork that goes with a military move, amplified by the short notice and trying to finish a bunch of projects at work.

Current status: Household goods are packed up and loaded out, housekeys returned to landlord, I'm sitting in billeting. Have a few more pieces of paper to push and Iam out of herenext weekend. How's the weather there?

azcdlfred

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
How's the weather there?
Hot and humid. It's monsoon season. Temps are hoovring around 100 degrees, which are normally bearable when the humidity is down. But this is our thunderstorm season so the humidty is high. The thunderstorms can bring down the temperatures but you still feel sticky.

Fred

american-kiwi

imported post

Hey...welcome to Tucson!...i just went to diamondback police supplies on 170 s Kolb rd...the store has been remodeled.....very nice !!....great range of handguns!....doubled from what was there before!...i needed a new gun safe (larger)....they run CCW's too, on saturday and sundays

here is their web site http://www.diamondbackpolice.net/
John in Sierra Vista AZ

freesignal

imported post

I know this is an old post, but I live in Tucson and have found Marksman Pistol Institute to be very reputable. I made my first pistol purchase at their northside store and felt that they were both friendly and knowledgable. Plus, they give you a 30 day range pass for use at either location when you take a class (such as a CCW) or buy a firearm. That's how they getcha... ;)

Their website is: http://www.marksmanpistol.com/