Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody open carries with full size pistols ?

Post imported post

I conceal carry with my Bersa 380; Ihave a full size Taurus PT 92, I'd like to conceal carry with it, but its too big; so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked alot of questions.

Post imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
    I conceal carry with my Bersa 380; Ihave a full size Taurus PT 92, I'd like to conceal carry with it, but its too big; so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked alot of questions.
    Many Virginians open carry with full size pistols all the time - what state are you referring about? You may or may not be"mistaken for a LEO and / or asked a lot of questions" while open carrying - these things come withopen carry, maybe someday the public will become better educated, until then - expect it.

Post imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
    ...so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked a lot of questions.
    Welcome to the board! I would say many here including my self (when out of state)open carry a "full size" pistol or revolver.

Your appearance, especially your clothes, will determine if you appear to be a cop. Shorts, sandals,and printed shirtsare not usual copwear and if one is "undercover" they're not OCing!

People will on occasion ask questionsout of curiosity or to criticise. Nothing can stop that and hopefully you'll respond with politeness and courtesy.

CC, IMHO,is a pain in the back, literally, so I hope you enjoy OC and again welcometo the forum.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Not a fan of 92 style pistols (incompatible w/universal failure drill)
    But I do carry a full size 1911 on occation.

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Not a fan of 92 style pistols (incompatible w/universal failure drill)
    But I do carry a full size 1911 on occation.
    Why can't you tap/rack/bang w/it?
    -Unrequited

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

In looking back I guess I should have said that it makes the drill more difficult, not incompatible.

Safety is on slide. Proper rack is over the top (inverted/cupped hand grasp)
    I know that they teach folks to grasp the 92 and other slide mounted safety/decock guns by the forward part of the slide but in my experience it is much easier under stress to rack and swipe the ejection port if your grabbing the rear portion of the slide w/out worrying where exacty your hand grabs. Obviously you can only grasp the the rear of the slide on models w/out the safety/decock.

Post imported post

Yes. Glock 20 here.

Post imported post

My Sig has a 6.5" slide. I consider that "full size."

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    In looking back I guess I should have said that it makes the drill more difficult, not incompatible...
    Interesting. I've always wanted to shoot or own a 92FS but I'll have to rent and give this a try first now that I've read that.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

I oc and cc a full size USP .40. No problems here. I love full size guns.

Post imported post

I both OC and CC with a Rock Island Armory .45 or a Colt 1911 all the time. If there is some reason I don't want the extra weight, I CC with a Colt Mustang .380.

Goliath

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yep, a Ruger P345...

Post imported post

I OC with my Beretta 92FS, and I also have a Bersa Thunder9.

Post imported post

By the way I'm in Georgia and I will try open carrying the Taurus PT 92. The decocking lever / safety is on the frame on the Taurus PT 92 and the Beretta 92 it is on the slide. That was one reason I chose the Taurus PT 92 and the other was price. Instead of the Beretta 92.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I used to open carry a Glock 19 (hence the handle) but ever since I got my full-size 1911 I carry it instead. I don't know if you'd consider a Glock 19 full sized or not, but it's not exactly tiny.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Yep, a Ruger P345...

Whooooo, P345's represent!

I think you're the only other person who I've heard of that has a P345, Bob. You like it? Mine jams a lot, and the recoil spring guide looks bent (it's always been like that, ever since I got it). I did buy it used, but the person who previously owned it didn't put that many rounds through it... Probably not more than a few hundred.

Oh and I think that Ruger calls the 345 "compact", but I think they're just comparing it as "compact" to the other HUGE pistols in the P-series.

Post imported post

I carry an XD45 service model mostly, though I also have a Steyr M40-A1. Both are full-size pistols.I see no problem with a full-size for any type of carry.

Post imported post

Hi-Point .45, you could call that "full-size"!

Post imported post

My default carry piece is a Smith 5900 series (full frame), although I happened to forget the magazines for it today, so I just grabbed a Beretta 96 off the shelf for my shift. So, yes, I do prefer to OC with the full-size jobs.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

What is considered full size, I oc a 4" barrel Sigma, 9mm, but it is still a lot smaller than a 1911, yet this is the full size model...

Post imported post

I open and conceal carry my 92FS all over NoVa, and VA and conceal carry it in Tenn and FL.

I am a SMALL guy and NO ONE has noticed the FS92 plus two mags, I usually wear a small jacket when cool, and when hot wear a t-shirt, the rig and a regular shirt, unbuttoned and not tucked in.

Carried for three years now and now one can tell if I have it or not.

Have open carried and never had any issues at all including the areas in NoVa that are close to DC, but stay of Fed prop and parkways.

I am big open carry supporter and ONLY got the conceal permit so I can loophole the stupid no carry within 1000 feet of schools and on school grounds, when I need to go to a school I am covered with the conceal.

I have even carried into the courthouse with the rig and ammo, leaving the gun behind, got stopped at metal detectors and then allowed to go on my way.

I got my shoulder rig in Leesburg Va, cant remember name model will check and see if I can find out, but it works great and I have carried 99.999999% of the time when I leave the house.

I carry full clip and one chambered and safety on, it is a nose down carry, I dont like the ones that aim out he back. Has two more full clips to balance the rig out.

Post imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
    I've CC'd and OC'd full size pistols, both a Beretta 92FS and a Springfield XD .45. You may find issues with printing depending on what you'rewearing (only in regards to CC'ing) but other than that, it's all about how much weight you're willing to tolerate. For me, I carry my primary plus (at least) two spare mags; never less.I'm not a LEO, soI do not have a badge on my belt near my holster...so if someone assumes I'm a LEO...well, we all know what assumptions get ya...

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Depending on needs at the time -

Full Size 1911 A1
    S&W .500 4"
    EAA .45 full size
    S&W .44 Lew Horton 3"

But I am tall and .... well .. getting fluffy around the middle, so I have no problem concealing any of these. But at least 90% of the time I carry a para ord 12.45

Unless you are of small build you could carry almost any reasonable full frame pistol.

regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I OC and CC a Glock model 35.

Post imported post

Yes, 1911 and what not. The only thing that resembles a compact is my Walther P99.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast