• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody open carries with full size pistols ?

JMJ2

imported post

I conceal carry with my Bersa 380; Ihave a full size Taurus PT 92, I'd like to conceal carry with it, but its too big; so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked alot of questions.

Bubba Ron

imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
I conceal carry with my Bersa 380; Ihave a full size Taurus PT 92, I'd like to conceal carry with it, but its too big; so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked alot of questions.
Many Virginians open carry with full size pistols all the time - what state are you referring about? You may or may not be"mistaken for a LEO and / or asked a lot of questions" while open carrying - these things come withopen carry, maybe someday the public will become better educated, until then - expect it.

cato

imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
...so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols ? If I open carry I don't want to be mistaken for a LEO or asked a lot of questions.

Welcome to the board! I would say many here including my self (when out of state)open carry a "full size" pistol or revolver.

Your appearance, especially your clothes, will determine if you appear to be a cop. Shorts, sandals,and printed shirtsare not usual copwear and if one is "undercover" they're not OCing!

People will on occasion ask questionsout of curiosity or to criticise. Nothing can stop that and hopefully you'll respond with politeness and courtesy.

CC, IMHO,is a pain in the back, literally, so I hope you enjoy OC and again welcometo the forum.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

In looking back I guess I should have said that it makes the drill more difficult, not incompatible.

Safety is on slide. Proper rack is over the top (inverted/cupped hand grasp)
I know that they teach folks to grasp the 92 and other slide mounted safety/decock guns by the forward part of the slide but in my experience it is much easier under stress to rack and swipe the ejection port if your grabbing the rear portion of the slide w/out worrying where exacty your hand grabs. Obviously you can only grasp the the rear of the slide on models w/out the safety/decock.

unrequited

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
In looking back I guess I should have said that it makes the drill more difficult, not incompatible...
Interesting. I've always wanted to shoot or own a 92FS but I'll have to rent and give this a try first now that I've read that.

Goliath

imported post

I both OC and CC with a Rock Island Armory .45 or a Colt 1911 all the time. If there is some reason I don't want the extra weight, I CC with a Colt Mustang .380.

Goliath

JMJ2

imported post

By the way I'm in Georgia and I will try open carrying the Taurus PT 92. The decocking lever / safety is on the frame on the Taurus PT 92 and the Beretta 92 it is on the slide. That was one reason I chose the Taurus PT 92 and the other was price. Instead of the Beretta 92.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I used to open carry a Glock 19 (hence the handle) but ever since I got my full-size 1911 I carry it instead. I don't know if you'd consider a Glock 19 full sized or not, but it's not exactly tiny.

mercutio545

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Yep, a Ruger P345...

Whooooo, P345's represent!

I think you're the only other person who I've heard of that has a P345, Bob. You like it? Mine jams a lot, and the recoil spring guide looks bent (it's always been like that, ever since I got it). I did buy it used, but the person who previously owned it didn't put that many rounds through it... Probably not more than a few hundred.

Oh and I think that Ruger calls the 345 "compact", but I think they're just comparing it as "compact" to the other HUGE pistols in the P-series.

Drewesque

imported post

I carry an XD45 service model mostly, though I also have a Steyr M40-A1. Both are full-size pistols.I see no problem with a full-size for any type of carry.

Legba

imported post

My default carry piece is a Smith 5900 series (full frame), although I happened to forget the magazines for it today, so I just grabbed a Beretta 96 off the shelf for my shift. So, yes, I do prefer to OC with the full-size jobs.

-ljp

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

What is considered full size, I oc a 4" barrel Sigma, 9mm, but it is still a lot smaller than a 1911, yet this is the full size model...