• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody open carries with full size pistols ?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Loneviking wrote:
sprat wrote:
When out west on desert trips and in downtown Reno I carry a 1860 cap and ball colt replica

sprat

Yeah, you can get away with those in Reno and Carson City pretty easily. I haven't tried OC'ing my big Colt Peacekeeper with the 6 inch barrel in a X15 holster around town yet. I do that out in the country a lot and haven't had problems.

BTW---I'm a new guy, and hail from Carson City, NV.

Welcome to the forum Loneviking.

As far as carrying full size guns, I would say that my 37.9 ounce S&W 620 is full size!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think I would be embarrassed to OC anything less than full size. Wouldn't OC an over/under Derringer. Nothing against compact weapons. They disappear better concealed. That's what they are for. Full size weapons like to breathe and feel the sunshine on their tempered steel.

Loneviking

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Loneviking wrote:
sprat wrote:
When out west on desert trips and in downtown Reno I carry a 1860 cap and ball colt replica

sprat

Yeah, you can get away with those in Reno and Carson City pretty easily. I haven't tried OC'ing my big Colt Peacekeeper with the 6 inch barrel in a X15 holster around town yet. I do that out in the country a lot and haven't had problems.

BTW---I'm a new guy, and hail from Carson City, NV.

Welcome to the forum Loneviking.

As far as carrying full size guns, I would say that my 37.9 ounce S&W 620 is full size!
Yep, that's full size! Nice to see some other folks from my neck of the woods!

Loneviking

imported post

EagleFiveZero wrote:
I don't see any reason for your sidearm to be any different, whether carried open or concealed.

I'd like to see you sucessfully conceal, in 100 degree temps., a Colt Peacekeeper/Trooper with a 6 inch, vent rib barrel! :shock:

The little CZ 82 I have coming can tuck away into a Smart Carry if need be, but I can't imagine shoving that big Colt down my pants....

nemo

imported post

JMJ2 wrote:
so how many people open carry with full size PT 92 pistols?

The thread title does not specify PT 92, just full size pistols, so....

I OC a full size Colt government model in .45. I also have an STI 2011 with double stack mag, but it does not really fit into my carry holster. I carry it all day, every day, and have never had a problem with it.

ace1001

imported post

I OC a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. 5.5 barrel. I CC an SP101 in .357mag. 2.25 barrel. I can't understand the purpose of OCing a snubby.:? Ace

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC a full size Glock 21SF. Someday when I have some fun money I would love to OC a full 6.5 or 7 inch barrel Ruger .44 Magnum. I would just get a kick out of the :what::what::what::what:.

ace1001

imported post

A western SA revolver does not seem as threatening to the sheep. That's OK with me. I am in favor of starting a conversation on 2nd Amendment. It is accurate and powerfull. I am certain it can handle the challenges I might face. Ace

sixteenxvi

imported post

my OCis a browning hi-power. and i have no problems with the full frames. used to tote around a 1911 but wanted more mag capacity.

bourneshooter

imported post

I use to OC with an full size 1911. Just switched to a glock 19 for my EDC for no size reasons at all. Before I oc'd 90% of the time, I'd CC the 1911. It just depends on your dress and body weight/shape. So yeah.

casullshooter

imported post

I OC mostly with a .45ACP Para S1445 in a USMC style officers shoulder rig(WWII replica).

I occasionally OC with a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" barrel in .454 Casull. I carry it with a Doc Holiday style cross draw rig that has 10 cartridge loops across the chest.

To Kivuli: I grew up in Greensboro, NC (GHS-1980)

Kivuli

imported post

Before my time, I'm afraid. I moved to Greensboro in 2000 to go to UNCG after taking a couple years off between high school and college and liked the area enough to stay on after I graduated. I have friends who went to Grimsley though.

casullshooter wrote:
To Kivuli: I grew up in Greensboro, NC (GHS-1980)