Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You've convinced me. I'm going to OC when I go home.

Post imported post

Currently stationed in Germany, but coming home on leave in less than two weeks. While there, I plan on buying a XD45 and OCing, at least until my CHP gets cleared.

Thanks to everyone who posted stories about carrying in restaurants and other places, as it really boosted my confidence.

ccloud43

Post imported post

Welcome to the board and also welcome home when you get back. Hopefully you can make it to a dinner there in Richmond soon. And Thank You for you Service

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Folks overseas should apply for a CHP from the VA State Police.

Then you have it when you need it, and are exempt from one handgun a month in VA.

Post imported post

You've just made the best decision of your life... the CHP? No. The first post on OCDO? No... Your soon-to-be XD45. 0_o

Congratulations!

If you haven't looked into it, take a look at the new XD 45 Compact?
    http://www.xdpistols.com/

Just like my 4" Service, but smaller and convertible to the full 13+1 with a mag extension.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

Welcome to the board. I just OC'd for the first time last weekend after having a CHP for seven years. Now I have been OC'ingeverywhere since. Also if you don't belong to the VCDL then please join.

Post imported post

Details about applying through VASP?

Post imported post

Why can't an OC convert return from Germany to OHIO? Virginia has enough crazy OCers down there! They can't keep taking all our OCers! Share the wealth! But in all seriousness, welcome, good luck OCing, and hurry up here to Ohio. (No, I guess I can't wish that on anyone..)

Post imported post

From what I hear, Ohio has some silly laws, especially regarding OC in vehicles. Don't get me wrong, Columbus is like a second home to me, but sheesh.

Post imported post

Yeah, we still have a lot of work to do up here, and plus the weather is crappy, sothere's 2 strikes against us, and then, strike 3 has to be that Dennis Kucinich is from Ohio. I guess you are right for going back to VA. Maybe I'll have to get down there myself. I like the South better anyway.

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    Yeah, we still have a lot of work to do up here, and plus the weather is crappy, sothere's 2 strikes against us, and then, strike 3 has to be that Dennis Kucinich is from Ohio. I guess you are right for going back to VA. Maybe I'll have to get down there myself. I like the South better anyway.
    :what:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycFtOBKIXcg

No strings!

Post imported post

Geez, he would be a president with no brains... The only two words he apparently knows are "no springs". It's almost like he doesn't have control of what he is saying, almost like a puppet master is pulling his strings!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    Please sir, do us Southerners a big favor if you migrate down here. Leave any northern ideas back there before you come down. We kinda like it Southern like and would hate to see any more dilution of our little part of the world. Do that and we will welcome you with open arms.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

No worries, I was born in SC and raised in NC. Southern through and through. Except that I got a Yankee accent up here, and I'll have to learn to talk normal again!

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    No worries, I was born in SC and raised in NC. Southern through and through. Except that I got a Yankee accent up here, and I'll have to learn to talk normal again!
    Ok.. you're in!! Now let me hear you say "y'all" and "I'll have grits (frequently pronounced 'gree-its") with my eggs".

Incidently, I love South Carolina and hope to retire their when I end my working years. Been going down there for 40 years and never stopped loving the low country.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

Do that and we will welcome you with open arms.

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Post imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
    Do that and we will welcome you with open arms.

No pun intended, I'm sure.
    Very good catch. No sir, no pun intended.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    dngreer wrote:
    Ok.. you're in!! Now let me hear you say "y'all" and "I'll have grits (frequently pronounced 'gree-its") with my eggs".

Incidently, I love South Carolina and hope to retire their when I end my working years. Been going down there for 40 years and never stopped loving the low country.

You don't want to hear a "y'all" with a northern accent! Not good, trust me... But there I go again; off the thread topic. Just don't get me started on the war of Northern aggression!

Post imported post

Okay, I'm going to contribute to the off-topic-ness of this thread:

I moved to VA from PA (after a short stay in CA) and even I have a problem with the northerners who move into this area and bring unsavory northern ideas/etc with them.

Granted, I'm a PA boy, but where I lived in the sticks of southern PA had mostly a southern culture, so I've really come to love living here and want to be considered a southerner.

However, some of my coworkers, mostly the gruff good 'ol boys who've lived here all their lives still consider me a devil northerner... mostly jokingly though. I said "what about my son? He was born inthe south, does that make him a southerner?" The answer I got was: "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven don't mean we call 'em 'biscuits'".

I've not been discouraged though, unlike many modern situations on which I'm not going to elaborate at the moment, I've been wanting and trying my best to assimilate into southern culture since it's pretty much just like how I grew up, just with a little more 'twang'.

Post imported post

72Malibu wrote:
    He was born inthe south, does that make him a southerner?" The answer I got was: "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven don't mean we call 'em 'biscuits'".
    That is hilarious! I wonder if I qualify as a biscuit?

Post imported post

72Malibu wrote:
    Okay, I'm going to contribute to the off-topic-ness of this thread:

I moved to VA from PA
    Me too. I've lived in many states but I was born in PA, raised in NJ, with summers spent in Western PA.

When native Virginians ask me where I'm from, I say the Keystone State. And I still love the Land of William Penn's Woods. But after living in VA for so long and investing myself into it I dare anyone to tell me it's not my home. Even though I talk funny and remain a lifelong Eagles fan.

Post imported post

Go 'Boids (that's phillyese for Birds) - true Eagles fans know this.:P

While I still live in PA - it was my working for a No VA company that got me onto this group and into OC'ing.

I like grits and have a membership in the NRA range - so am I at least a honorary Virginian?

Post imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:

While I still live in PA - it was my working for a No VA company that got me onto this group and into OC'ing.

I like grits and have a membership in the NRA range - so am I at least a honorary Virginian?
    When I think about philly, I think about cheese, when I think about cheese, I think about steak.... Ah, I want a philly cheesesteak, so, so bad. It's been forever... Oh right, stay on topic, ah.. right, OC.

Post imported post

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    lprgcFrank wrote:

When I think about philly, I think about cheese, when I think about cheese, I think about steak.... Ah, I want a philly cheesesteak, so, so bad. It's been forever... Oh right, stay on topic, ah.. right, OC.
    ThePennsy side of me loves the cheesesteak, but the side of me that's from the Jerz knows the best cheesesteaks come from the little Italian delis in the suburbs...

Oh, and BTW, Bobby Clark is god and Gene Hart was his profit.

Post imported post

In all fairness and good spirit, as in good American spirit, I both honor and respect those who hail from different parts of the nation. We all have our own little sub-cultures from our home states and communitees. I would no more want a Bostonian to try to talk Southern than I would expect a Virginian to adopt a New England accent.

By the same token, were I of a mind to pick up my belongings and move to Providence, I would be the last person to try to tell the local folks how to change their ways and conduct themselves. I strongly believe in the universal truth; "when in Rome, do as the Romans".

That's all I really mean when I say come on down but leave your former bagage behind. We have a way of doing things down here, just like anywhere else, that works for us and apparently others seem to think so, too, because we get one heck of a lot of visitors (as in tourists) enjoying what we have to offer.

So if you see the St. Andrew's Cross (aka the Stars and Bars) on someone's front lawn, or on a T-shirt, or a bumper sticker, don't automatically assume the worse. We're rather proud of our little place in the world and our heritage as well. The emblem is most likely proof of our pride.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast