• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You've convinced me. I'm going to OC when I go home.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Go 'Boids (that's phillyese for Birds) - true Eagles fans know this.:p

While I still live in PA - it was my working for a No VA company that got me onto this group and into OC'ing.:monkey

I like grits and have a membership in the NRA range - so am I at least a honorary Virginian?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:

While I still live in PA - it was my working for a No VA company that got me onto this group and into OC'ing.:monkey

I like grits and have a membership in the NRA range - so am I at least a honorary Virginian?
When I think about philly, I think about cheese, when I think about cheese, I think about steak.... Ah, I want a philly cheesesteak, so, so bad. It's been forever... Oh right, stay on topic, ah.. right, OC.

Tomahawk

imported post

Flyers.gif
eaglesradio-transparent-web(1).gif

Tomahawk

imported post

dngreer wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:

When I think about philly, I think about cheese, when I think about cheese, I think about steak.... Ah, I want a philly cheesesteak, so, so bad. It's been forever... Oh right, stay on topic, ah.. right, OC.

ThePennsy side of me loves the cheesesteak, but the side of me that's from the Jerz knows the best cheesesteaks come from the little Italian delis in the suburbs...

Oh, and BTW, Bobby Clark is god and Gene Hart was his profit.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

In all fairness and good spirit, as in good American spirit, I both honor and respect those who hail from different parts of the nation. We all have our own little sub-cultures from our home states and communitees. I would no more want a Bostonian to try to talk Southern than I would expect a Virginian to adopt a New England accent.

By the same token, were I of a mind to pick up my belongings and move to Providence, I would be the last person to try to tell the local folks how to change their ways and conduct themselves. I strongly believe in the universal truth; "when in Rome, do as the Romans".

That's all I really mean when I say come on down but leave your former bagage behind. We have a way of doing things down here, just like anywhere else, that works for us and apparently others seem to think so, too, because we get one heck of a lot of visitors (as in tourists) enjoying what we have to offer.

So if you see the St. Andrew's Cross (aka the Stars and Bars) on someone's front lawn, or on a T-shirt, or a bumper sticker, don't automatically assume the worse. We're rather proud of our little place in the world and our heritage as well. The emblem is most likely proof of our pride.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
Last October, on a whim, I took a friend and drove 250 miles to Philadelphia because we wanted a real Philly cheesesteak.

It was amazing.

Funny you write that. Both of my daughters rowed crew when they were in high school (they both won national championships and lettered in their freshman year). So when they went to the Schuylkill River for the Stotesbury Regatta, a real Philly cheesesteak was definitely in the offering. Perhaps the best or second best I have ever had.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
When native Virginians ask me where I'm from, I say the Keystone State. And I still love the Land of William Penn's Woods. But after living in VA for so long and investing myself into it I dare anyone to tell me it's not my home. Even though I talk funny and remain a lifelong Eagles fan.
Its not your home and you talk funny. We won't discuss your football team or your haircut. :p

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
When native Virginians ask me where I'm from, I say the Keystone State. And I still love the Land of William Penn's Woods. But after living in VA for so long and investing myself into it I dare anyone to tell me it's not my home. Even though I talk funny and remain a lifelong Eagles fan.
Its not your home and you talk funny. We won't discuss your football team or your haircut. :p
I'd be careful if I was you. The football stadium in Philly has a court room and a jail in it for a reason. You wanna take me up on a dare? Go to Philly on the Eagles' home opener, and walk around the stadium in a Dallas Coyboys jersey with a sign that says "Eagles suck".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I'd be careful if I was you. The football stadium in Philly has a court room and a jail in it for a reason. You wanna take me up on a dare? Go to Philly on the Eagles' home opener, and walk around the stadium in a Dallas Coyboys jersey with a sign that says "Eagles suck".
1000posts.jpg

72Malibu

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Me too. I've lived in many states but I was born in PA, raised in NJ, with summers spent in Western PA.

I always tell people I'm from "Pennsyltucky". I was born and raised within 45 miles of the mason dixon line and we may as well have lived in W.VA. I have an odd accent apparently and everywhere i've moved people have asked me if I'm from the south, from Texas, from canada, etc. Since I've lived a few different places I've lost and picked up some accent traits. Hell, I've even started saying "y'all" (unintentionally). Of course, where I was originally from, we said "y'inz" or "y'ouns". South central PA is the only place I've heard it and I grew up there, but don't use it. According to Jeff Foxworthy, "y'ouns"= "y'all" + 3. :lol: I guess "y'ouns" is short for 'you ones' whereas 'y'all' is obviously short for 'you all'.

72Malibu

imported post

dngreer wrote:
72Malibu wrote:
He was born inthe south, does that make him a southerner?" The answer I got was: "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven don't mean we call 'em 'biscuits'". :lol:
That is hilarious! I wonder if I qualify as a biscuit?:)
I wouldn't since I was born in PA, but after that, I forever refer to my son around that person as "my little biscuit".