• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Yes Sir, No Sir, Have a good day Sir.....

AbNo

imported post

"Sir? GD-it boy, do I look like a SIR to you? I WORK for a living!"

Say it really, REALLY loud. Make R. Lee Ermey proud. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That being said, I always feel a bit... odd when someone a few years younger than I am calls me sir. I'm not THAT old yet, am I? :uhoh:

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Being 20 years old,I have no problem saying I'm a young guy. I work in customer service and call every by Ms ____ or Mr ____ (I have to know my customers names.) I get people that make the annoying joke "mr ___ is my dad,hu huh" or "I'm not that old." But that gets on my nerves. Your gonna be an asshole to me,just because I am being polite:uhoh:?

People are so incredibly rude anyway. I've gotten used to it,unfortunately sometimes I do it myself. Why? If its a matter of being polite or putting myself in potential harm/danger(or just think I do.)

In my expereince with customers over the last 3 1/2 years. People have only gotten cheaper, dumber,and ruder.

CPerdue

imported post

I try to set a baseline of civility, to project my expectation of respect in whatever interaction I am having. My saying, "sir," throws out a challenge to the other person to behave themselves or let the whole world know that yes, they are an ass. Said well, with the correct body language, etc., it asserts your standing as well. Psychology is funny stuff.

C.

FiremanJoe

imported post

LtherNeck....

I'll relate a little story. Was out late one night eating with some fellow biz owners about 1 am in a very popular greasy spoon joint in Covington, Ky. 2 large tables of rather noisy yunger folk, (ok college to high school most a little tipsy) seems they were being loud talkers, cussing, bragging about anything and dissing cops, etc. humm OK well this outta be intresting, the inevitable trip to go pee. now usually when I am out I try to cc but my doggone FD station t shirt was just shruken alittle. (ok so I put on a pound while eating) so I go out and come back from the restroom. Wow it got quiet and boy did I feel likethere was some eyes bugging out. amazing how polite these kids all got at both tables, and much more behaved. Now of course having a fresh high and tight flat top haircut might also have something to say how I looked that night.

But Yea I'd say seems folks are more nicer.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
In most cases people give what they get. I was raised to use "Sir" and "Mamm" when I talk to people, especially strangers. Most people reciprocate. I have only had one more or less recent encounter with a young person who did not.

I was unarmed at the time and found this person on my property. When I asked if I could help him, he became indignant, and told me to F off. I told him to leave, and he said, "I will leave when I am good and damn ready to."

I walked over to him, got very close, looked him in the eye, and quietly said, "Young man your Mother brought you into this world, but I can take you out of it. Would you like to reconsider leaving now." He did not say anything else but he did leave.

But most of the time if I offer respect, people reciprocate, weather I am armed or not.

Regards

"Young man your Mother brought you into this world, but I can take you out of it. Would you like to reconsider leaving now." :what:

Hilarious.

LMAO:lol:

Sounds like a line the Eastwood would have said:celebrate

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

openryan wrote:
SNIP But I believe that a lot of people are uncomfortable addressing a civilian with a firearm as they have been sensitized to them. It may be a nervous silence, or they may just want to get you out as fast as they can.

I have very good luck with being quite outgoing and even playful, and frequenting the same places. After the second or third visit, clerks, waiters, waitresses, counter staff, tellers, etc.remember me.

With waiters andwaitresses, I make it a point toask for the best serveron the first visit. If they are good, Iask for them from then on. Naturally, they are not always there, soanother server gets exposed to a friendly, fun customer who happens to OC. Word gets around.It helps to tip generously--no sense undoing your ambassadorial efforts by being stingy on the tip.

You can create a far more powerful impression than your sidearm. Thesidearm can't talk to people, make them feel noticed, tell them a joke, play with them.

When I OC'd in my bank for the first time,the tellers already recognizedmeas afriendly, even fun, customer. They saw thesidearm and gave me some additional "Sirs" that I hadn't gotten before, but there wasn't so much as a wince about the sidearm.

Try it. It works.

Tomahawk

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

"Young man your Mother brought you into this world, but I can take you out of it. Would you like to reconsider leaving now." :what:

Hilarious.

LMAO:lol:

Sounds like a line the Eastwood would have said:celebrate

Don't get me started on Eastwood lines.

Josey Wales: You a bounty hunter?

BH: Man's gotta make a livin' somehow.

Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I went into Red Lobster this weekend OCing a Glock19 and was treated the same as I always am. No different due to a pitol on my person.

FYI: Red Lobster has a corporate policy forbidding guns even on patrons.
I don't remember the forum I read the letter (in reply to a customers inquiry) but they did reply in the affirmative :(

Just so you know :)

I've not dined there since.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

In Utah I don't think those signs have any Legal Significance at all. They can ask you to vacant the premises and if you don't THEN it becomes a Trespass.

Utbagpiper knows alot better than myself but I think what I stated is correct

xmirage2kx

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
In Utah I don't think those signs have any Legal Significance at all. They can ask you to vacant the premises and if you don't THEN it becomes a Trespass.

Utbagpiper knows alot better than myself but I think what I stated is correct
+1, This is correct. The sign gives them a reason when they ask you to leave, but since you dont need a reason all they do is help point out where I am Not going to take my money.

Particle

imported post

I don't do the whole "sir" thing because I find it despicable that people would consider themselves above anyone else, warranting the special title. Likewise, it makes me very uncomfortable when people call me "sir" or "Mr. [X]". To be honest, I'm more comfortable using titles with those people I know well.

That doesn't mean that I'm rude to people I don't know. I simply keep it civil and polite.

--

Lthrnck:
You're lucky that your Wal-Mart even carries that much. It takes me two months to get enough ammo from them (due to little stock and infrequent restocking) to even do an afternoon of shooting.

mvpel

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
Even some of the younger more disrespectful kids I have run across are not giving me any disrespect..... It was just a funny thought that came to me after 4 youngkids approached me in the Wal-Mart parking lot the other day. That grunge look, acting all cocky. Yes I know it's sterotyping, but I went to yellow right away..

When one of them said "Hey man whatcha got in the bag man...?" I just said.. "Just bought about 400 rounds of ammo for my Beretta." and then I turned and they saw it on my hip...

"Oh cool SIR..." YOU HAVE A NICE DAY.. and they walked the other way.

Gee, and here I thought according to all the open carry critics, those guys were supposed to shoot you from a safe distance before robbing you, instead of wishing you a nice day and heading off in the other direction.

who_dat

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Maybe a "skipper", but here in Michigan, you're not a Captain until you've earned the title through appropriate schooling.

Slowhand

imported post

I grew up in a Marine Corps family and we were taught to address people as "Sir" and "Mame". It was just respect. My step-Dad was never condescending. He believed that there was no such thing as a superior officer, only senior officers. He was a flag officer who had enormous respect for NCOs and SNCOs. He used to say that he knew corporals and sergeants that knew more and did better jobs that some officers. I even refer to my friends of 20+ years that I grew up with as "Sir" and "Mame". They are just used to it. I find that the more I use the terms in my everyday life, more people adopt the phrases when they realize that it is not meant to be condescending.

As for OCing,I too feel that I am treated with much greater respect. But I also sport a "high and tight" military regs hair cut. So, they may think I am a LEO. I have had people pull their spouses out of my way when they see my weapon.

I have run into people that don't care for the terms "Sir" or "Mame". That's their right. But they should not look down on me for offering respect the way I was taught.

I Germany, all young men between 18 and I think 22 must serve 2 years in an armed service. Most of them don't want to go and are happy when they get out. But I have noticed how their culture repsects authority more than US culture (IMHO). Same with Israel. Food for thought.

Particle

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
They call you sir because they probably think you're a cop.

Which bothers me a bit. I don't like to be mistaken for a cop, but what can you do I guess?

It also bothers me that you have to be a cop to get the kind of respect I was taught to give all adults. One of the things that really gets under my skin is how people who don't know you and have never met you start off calling you by your first name. Car salesman like to do this. I was shopping for a new truck and this guy starts calling me [Tomahawk] like we're drinking buddies. I had spoken to this man once on the telephone and I'm geting ready to do business with him to the tune of $20k-$30k and he doesn't know how to show the proper respect. Same thing when you go to apply for a loan at your bank. Those are the times when I expect to be called "sir" and "Mr." followed by last name.

I suppose if it was a big moral problem, you could wear a shirt that says "NOT A COP". Myself, I don't see the problem. You know what they say about assuming...yes, I mean that cheesy old saying.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes, I worry people might think I'm a cop...but I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, so it would be a hard mistake to make.

Wait 'til you get older and somebody calls out to you, "Detective."

I've been loathe to report it because of the implications about my age and waistline. :)

(1, 2, 3, .....)