Thread: Open Carry mIRC Chat Room!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well Iregisted #OpenCarry on slashnet.org's IRC server andcreated an ircchat room forOpenCarry!!

There are a few ways to access this room.

#1 mIRC programs from http://www.mirc.com its a reasonable download and will allow a better interface than JAVA clients.

#2 Mozilla & Netscape I belive have irc clients built into them.

(For 1 & 2 you just need to select irc.slashnet.org as your server, choose a name (nick)and connect. Once you connect just type "/join #OpenCarry"and you will join the chat room!)

#3 Use the easy Java Chat @ JavaChat

When it loads, type "/join OpenCarry" without the quotes and you should join up with the rest of the people there.

You will enter as Guest ## and can change your name by enteringyour handle in the upper left box marked ENTER NIC:

or you can just type /nick <Your Nick Here>.

Use your handle or a name that will allow others to recognize you. We have nothing to hide here or there. Anonymous users are kicked.

Have fun, drop me a PM if you have any problems.

Discussion Here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/3428.html

Post imported post

So, anyone still use this or IRC?

Would be neat to get a chat going...

Post imported post

I agree, it would be cool to have a chat going. I just joined the room, and not surprisingly, I am the only one there

Post imported post

I'll idle in the room.

Banned

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Well I¬*registed #OpenCarry on slashnet.org's IRC server and¬*created an irc¬*chat room for¬*OpenCarry!!

#1 mIRC programs from http://www.mirc.com its a reasonable download and will allow a better interface than JAVA clients.

(For 1 & 2 you just need to select irc.slashnet.org as your server, choose a name (nick)¬*and connect. Once you connect just type "/join #OpenCarry"¬*and you will join the chat room!)

When it loads, type "/join OpenCarry" without the quotes and you should join up with the rest of the people there.

You will enter as Guest ## and can change your name by entering¬*your handle in the upper left box marked ENTER NIC:

Use your handle or a name that will allow others to recognize you.¬* We have nothing to hide here or there.¬* Anonymous users are kicked.

Way too complicated - if you are talking anywhere past shoving the next cartridge into the next chamber, you lost me long ago ...

Post imported post

I idle in there all the time since I use Pidgin.

Post imported post

I use 'irssi' Linux, so there's no reason I can't idle in there as well. I'm not exactly a 'regular' (awesome post count, eh?) but I guess everybody has to start somewhere.

Post imported post

Using the link (Provided a couple of posts up) works very easily just type in your name and hit enter! Not surprisingly, I was the only one in there when I tried it, but i have it bookmarked now...

Post imported post

I would suggest a good way to jump-start this channel is to schedule a chat session and publicize the session. Then people might just stick around before and after. I have found that early Friday, Saturday, or Sunday evenings works well for this.

Post imported post

Chat is dead. Chat requires real-time participation, which means only a small percentage of folks who might otherwise contribute, can be there at the appointed time.

That's why forums have taken over internet discussions. Listservs failed when HTML email and top-posting became commonplace (plus, email doesn't allow proper threading). Chat is fun, but you can't thread or archive discussions.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Well Iregisted #OpenCarry on slashnet.org's IRC server andcreated an ircchat room forOpenCarry!!

(For 1 & 2 you just need to select irc.slashnet.org as your server, choose a name (nick)and connect. Once you connect just type "/join #OpenCarry"and you will join the chat room!)

You will enter as Guest ## and can change your name by enteringyour handle in the upper left box marked ENTER NIC:

Use your handle or a name that will allow others to recognize you. We have nothing to hide here or there. Anonymous users are kicked.

Another program worthy of mention is XChat. It's open source and free of charge. So if you don't have money to spend on a chat program, or just don't want to... it's a good alternative.
    http://xchat.org/

Post imported post

You guys suppose we might be better off getting a Jabber server up and running...i think its a little more user friendly than IRC. Or...a quick google turns up a plug-in for WowBB called SigmaChat.