• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling with my Texas CHL

tbmccord

imported post

Fellow members:

According to Packing.org, my Texas CHL is good for conceal carry in every state I am going to be traveling to/through this year except for New Mexico, Nevada, and Alabama.

Opencarry.org lists New Mexico as a Gold Star open carry. Does this mean that I can open carry there but not conceal carry? Same question for Alabama and Nevada. I plan on carrying two 45 autos in the truck (my wife has a Texas CHL as well)and a rifle in the 5th wheel trailer I will be pulling.

One other issue is that the rifle is a Texas Bushmaster M4 .223 with a 30 round clip. :shock:In Texas, we can hunt deer with this rifle and there is no restriction on the clip size.

Any advice for me in traveling to/through these states? I will be traveling to Chattanooga, TN which means driving through Alabama at the end of August. I am goingto Las Vegas at the end of December and traveling through New Mexico in the process.

denwego

imported post

PDO's getting more and more out of date as the webmaster lets it rot without attention. You can check http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm for the current list. As such, you're good to conceal on a Texas CHP in New Mexico and Alabama. When you're in Nevada, you'll be good to OC in a car or on foot everywhere in the state except Boulder City and North Las Vegas (and having visited there myself, there'd be little to no reason to stop in either of those places).

Edit - You'll probably be good to conceal in Nevada by December as well. Nevada just passed reciprocity legislation for the first time and it goes into effect on October 1st; I'd be really surprised if Texas didn't make the cut.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

There is no capacity restriction on the magazine (it's not called a f***ing clip) in Nevada. IF you pass through Boulder City or North Las Vegas, you will need to have the magazine separate from the weapon. Separate means weapon in trunk and magazine in cabin, or preferably gloves compartment.

sailor

imported post

Reference the comment about OC in your car. I have NM and Washington licenses, and will be transiting Highway 50 ("The Loneliest Highway in America") AGAIN!. Since it will be before 1 October, I do want to be careful to follow Nevada law. My understanding is that (non-Nevada CCW) cannot OC in the car on your person, nor under the drivers side seat, but anywhere else is OK. Sound correct, or an old wives (old shooter's?) tale? The Nevada State Statutes are every bit as obtuse as the Congressional Record, and about as long, so I have given up trying to read, and humbly ask for info from real people.

Sailor

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

There is no law in Nevada regarding where the weapon can be stored in a vehicle except CONCEALED ON YOUR PERSON.

Considering the highway you're traveling, you wont pass through the communist republic factions.

The End.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Note, per some law in the "hunting" section of Nevada law, make sure that while your rifle is in your vehicle there is no round in the chamber. The magazine can be loaded but no round can be chambered. This also applies to shotguns.

Your pistols however, can be ready to go witha round chambered and all.

I do not believe Nevada honors Texas's CCW permit,but I'm not sure on this one. If it does then you'd be okay to CCW or open carry.

As it is, like others have said, you can open carry practically anywhere on foot or in vehicle, just don't conceal it upon your person.

Non Nevada residents, as well as Nevada residents can open carry in their car, and putting it under your seat is okay as well.

It's possible that Boulder City or NLV could have rules about firearms, but under state law they are all void except for laws regarding discharge of firearms, with the exception that if you live in clark county you have to register your guns if you are there more than 60 days. If they tried to arrest you for carrying, the arrest would be illegal.