• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried in Wal-Mart today...

RussP

imported post

Yep, the Wal-Mart in Chesterfield on Ironbridge Road/Rte 10. Didn't think I was going there, but couldn't find what I needed at Target on Jeff Davis. Did not have a cover with me and the shirt I was wearing had a short tail that would not cover my G20 in a Tucker HF-1.

Soooo, I called my wife telling her where I was headed. She asked, "Do you have a cover shirt?" with an edge to her voice. No, I said, time to test the waters.

Wearing jeans, a black Henley shirt, the G20, Surefire light, spare mag, and cell phone I waded into the pool...

Have to admit, I headed to the men's area first to see if they had a Hawaiin shirt I could wear...okay, I was a little nervous. They had nothing I liked. I walked by several employees on the way there, smiling and saying, "Hi," to each. Made my way to the household area looking for an alarm clock. More employees, more smiles, how ya doing, etc.

Couldn't find what I wanted, so I asked a young employee. He tried to find what I wanted, but no go... He pointed to electronics saying they would have more of what I needed. All the time he was standing on my right side.

Went to electronics, voila, I found the clock. A clerk asked if she could help me, "No, I just found it," I said and walked away.

Decided to go buy some ammo for my wife, so, headed to sporting goods. Again, more employees, more, well, you know...

Got to sporting goods. Three people were getting fishing licenses, so I stood at the counter waiting. A second clerk comes into the area and asks how he could help me. Told him I needed some .357 magnum.

Now I notice the people at the counter had noticed the pistol on my side. I looked at them, smiled and nodded my head. One of the two men nodded and said, "Sir."

The clerk rang up my purchase...funny, when the register beeps prompting him to ask, "Is this for ahandgun or rifle?", he didn't ask....go figure.

Now I'm finished, I nod to the people at the counter and head for the front.

Low and behold, I made it all the way to my car and no one approached me, stopped me...nothing.

Now, will I do it again? Probably...:lol:

Just thought I'd share!!

:cool:

ParaWarthog

imported post

RussP wrote:
I was wearing had a short tail that would not cover my G20
GOOD choice with the 10mm! I can't open carry my G20 in my home state, but when I'm in Wyoming (often), my G20 is always open carried in a Bianchi Model 59 paddle holster. What kind of ammo do you carry? I carry 135 grain Double Tap Ammunition 10mm (1600 feet per second!!!!)

And I'm glad you had a good experience OC'ing in Walmart.

vt357

imported post

I went to the Walmart on Hull St/360 last Tuesday after our Richmond OC dinner. My wife and I did some grocery shopping so we were there for a little while. The security guard walked right past me without batting an eye. I probably OC in there about once a week. I have never had a problem with any of the Walmarts in the Richmond area (of course I don't make it out to the Short Pump Walmart much at all).

sitedzn

imported post

vt357 wrote:
I went to the Walmart on Hull St/360 last Tuesday after our Richmond OC dinner. My wife and I did some grocery shopping so we were there for a little while. The security guard walked right past me without batting an eye. I probably OC in there about once a week. I have never had a problem with any of the Walmarts in the Richmond area (of course I don't make it out to the Short Pump Walmart much at all).
i've been wondering about that walmart as that's the closest one to my house. i've cc a bunch there, but no oc as of yet.

RussP

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
Hey, RussP! Good to see you posting here again. Always enjoy your posts on GlockTalk. Thanks for relaying your experience.

Molon Labe

Thank you, hopefully I'll have more opportunity to post here.

An interesting aside here, last week we were looking for an item and actually decided to go to Target instead of Wal-Mart because I didn't have a cover shirt with me.

RussP

imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
RussP wrote:
I was wearing had a short tail that would not cover my G20
GOOD choice with the 10mm! I can't open carry my G20 in my home state, but when I'm in Wyoming (often), my G20 is always open carried in a Bianchi Model 59 paddle holster. What kind of ammo do you carry? I carry 135 grain Double Tap Ammunition 10mm (1600 feet per second!!!!)

And I'm glad you had a good experience OC'ing in Walmart.

Georgia Arms 180gr Gold Dot Hollow Point. The price has gone up a couple of times recently, but it performs well for me. Velocity is 1150fps.

RussP

imported post

vt357 wrote:

Is that the one at 288?

I've carried in the Short Pump store, not openly, but I've open carried several other places around there with no problem.

vt357

imported post

RussP wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Is that the one at 288?

I've carried in the Short Pump store, not openly, but I've open carried several other places around there with no problem.

Yeah that's the one. I have CC'ed at the Short Pump Walmart but not OC. But after growing up on the southside I make it a matter of principle to avoid the short pump area. :p I still remember when the intersection of broad and pump was just a service station, farms, and trees.

sitedzn

imported post

vt357 wrote:
RussP wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Is that the one at 288?

Yeah that's the one. I have CC'ed at the Short Pump Walmart but not OC. But after growing up on the southside I make it a matter of principle to avoid the short pump area. :p I still remember when the intersection of broad and pump was just a service station, farms, and trees.
and half an airplane in the roof of the auto parts store!

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I've open carried at the Hull St/Genito Wal-Mart several times without incident, and at the Short Pump Wal-Mart without incident over 50 times... including in a t-shirt and blue jeans.

sitedzn

imported post

my dad lives off nuckols rd so i am "forced" to visit the evil west end. my stepmom isthe one you see like this:what:. my dad isfrom sw va, so he could care less (has 2 s&w 38s) but i don't think i could ever get him to oc. i think he's been over in the west end so long he's starting to believe them:p

RussP

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
vt357 wrote:
RussP wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Is that the one at 288?

and half an airplane in the roof of the auto parts store!
Those were the good old days!! Back in the '50s my dad and I would stop at that staion to get a Coke out of the box. For y'all younguns, that was a Coke "box" filled with ice and an opener on the front.

67GT390FB

imported post

vt357 wrote:
I still remember when the intersection of broad and pump was just a service station, farms, and trees.
who remembers when the phrase "downtown short pump" was a running joke on the radio traffic reports. now one of the shopping centers i think the one with the cinema is called "downtown Short Pump" i couldn't believe what i was seeing the first time i saw the sign.

ParaWarthog

imported post

RussP wrote:
Georgia Arms 180gr Gold Dot Hollow Point. The price has gone up a couple of times recently, but it performs well for me. Velocity is 1150fps.

Yea, the price of ammo is really high compared to even a few years ago. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check out Georgia Arms.

sitedzn

imported post

RussP wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
I still remember when the intersection of broad and pump was just a service station, farms, and trees.
But do you remember the Hiney Winery in Short Pump ... behind the library?

No, I wasn't old enough to drink in the '50s:celebrate:celebrate

I remember the library...

ha ha! my dad was born in the 50s:p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sitedzn wrote:
...SNIP
ha ha!  my dad was born in the 50s:p

Thanks. Some of us REALLY need to hear that.:banghead:
Its bad enough to get older, without being hit in the head with it here. Of course I have considered the alternative to aging, and that sucks too.:what:

regards