• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago Police Team Up With Churches To Get Guns Off Streets

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"...simple as that..."

07 July 2007

Police Team Up With Churches To Get Guns Off Streets

Bob Roberts Reporting

CHICAGO, Ill. (WBBM) -- Police will partner in two weeks with churches citywide to get guns off Chicago's street.

The Gun Turn-In Day July 21 will be the third sponsored by Chicago Police in the past three years.

The first two Gun Turn-In days took 4,200 weapons off of Chicago's streets. But that figure was not enough for parents who had lost teenaged sons or daughters in shootings, who gathered with Mayor Daley to promote the Turn-In effort.

"Turn them in, please, because you do not want to go through what these parents have gone through," said Tom Bosley, who lost his 18-year-old son Terrell, a gospel musician, 15 months ago when his son was fatally wounded as he loaded musical equipment into his van following choir practice at a West Pullman church.

The director of the department's Alternative Policing Strategy program, Vance Henry, said that as an incentive, the department will offer a $100 pre-paid Master Card for each pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, automatic or semi-automatic gun turned in -- with no questions asked. Those turning in a BB gun, airgun or replica will get a $10 prepaid card.

Twenty-three churches citywide will act as receiving points.

Daley said the city will melt down all guns that are turned in, and said giving up guns is a concrete way that Chicagoans can help to break the cycle of violence that resulted in the deaths of more than 30 Chicago schoolchildren in the past year.

"A lot of times you have a disagreement, and they get so mad that they run home. If there's a gun, they pick that gun up, run out and what happens? A victim. They kill someone, simple as that. That's unacceptable," Daley said.

Daley said the police will accept guns new and old, licensed or illegal, and said there will be no limit to the number of Master Cards one person can collect for turning in guns.

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/656344.php?contentType=4&contentId=670244

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Do you have to be from Chicago, I am only about 20 miles away :)

I could go out and buy some brand new highpoints and 'sell' them to the Chicago Police for a profit, as there is no limit...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Honestly though, the only guns I see going to the Chicago PD are cheap SNS and stolen firearms, which I guess is the point, but I think they need to be bought back at maybe a percentage of the street value or from a gun values book -- nobody is going to be trading in a nice 1911 for 100 bucks...