• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police prepare for terror strikes at local mall

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
BIG SHAFE wrote:
You cannot carry at all in Westfield (Belden) mall. No gun signs are posted at all the entrances. So it doesn't matter.:cuss:
Well, I know one mall I will not be visiting. At least until they take down the signs. They probably won't miss me too much since I haven't been there in a long time. But I think the "no guns/no money" policy isa good one for this mall. Maybe it's time to write some letters to the mall and the stores in the mall?
Writing a letter of protest/informing of boycottto amall management honcho or store owner/manager is a very good idea. Otherwise, they have noreliable way of knowing what you're doing or whatthe problem is.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

I stopped by at lunch and stand corrected. There aren't any no guns signs, I thought the tow away signswere no gun signs from a distance. Although, I did see a no guns signs on the doors for the dentists office that is a part of the mall.

Belden Westfield is not a gun free zone

Sorry guys.:banghead:

allenp

imported post

BIG SHAFE wrote:
I stopped by at lunch and stand corrected. There aren't any no guns signs, I thought the tow away signswere no gun signs from a distance. Although, I did see a no guns signs on the doors for the dentists office that is a part of the mall.

Belden Westfield is not a gun free zone

Sorry guys.:banghead:
This is correct. I checked the entrances to the parking lot and the building and there are no "No Weapons" signs.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

That's good news! Saved me some letter writing! I'll try OCing next time I go. That could be years away, because I have better things to do than fight through crowds of mall groupies. Since they don't have signs posted, I hope the security has been informed that they are not supposed to shoot anyone that happens to have a gun on them.

JSK333

imported post

I have had several non-experiences with OC in malls, and one bad experience.

The bad experience was mostly due to me having missed a "No weapons" line on the rules sign inside the door (small text, 30+ rules on it). This was before CHL passed in Ohio.

An employee in one of the stores called 911. I noticed no other reactions, and later heard that the other employees in the store thought the guy was a jerk for doing it because I wasn't doing anything suspicious.

LEOs and mall security came and verified I wasn't doing anything illegal. Mall security said I could come back but without gun (after forcing me to sign a banned-for-life sheet that they said could be overturned if I talked to the manager, which I did).

Mall never did change its mind. When CHL law passed, they posted their main entrance. I do my best to avoid the place out of principle. It's on its way out of business anyway...

The ironic part is that I had OCed in the same place a week before, and had no problems or reactions. Also OCed in another mall before then w/o any issues too.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JSK333 wrote:
LEOs and mall security came and verified I wasn't doing anything illegal. Mall security said I could come back but without gun (after forcing me to sign a banned-for-life sheet that they said could be overturned if I talked to the manager, which I did).

Mall never did change its mind.
How did they force you to sign the sheet?

JSK333

imported post

kparker wrote:
If you look at the sheet, I'm sure you'll see a very shaky X
LEOs said "just do it, we'll have your information anyway." Unfortunately, back then my SSN was on my driver's license, which they took to copy my info down. So the Mall has that too. And I haven't been able to get the sheet back.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JSK333 wrote:
kparker wrote:
If you look at the sheet, I'm sure you'll see a very shaky X
LEOs said "just do it, we'll have your information anyway." Unfortunately, back then my SSN was on my driver's license, which they took to copy my info down. So the Mall has that too. And I haven't been able to get the sheet back.

Ah, I see.

Sounds like a good example of what apjonas meant when he said: TheLEO is not your friend.

JSK333

imported post

Perhaps. I really haven't had any bad run-ins with them.

The only reason I can think of that would allow them to demand it is because of trespassing laws; so they would be able to report me to police if I came back w/o the manager's permission. But that doesn't justify keeping my SSN. Not sure how to proceed there apart from a lawyer...

Legba

imported post

You don't ever have to sign anything. In any case, read the fine print first.

-ljp