• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. Wants Supreme Court to Hear Gun Ban

echo6tango

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Seriously, someone needs to investigate the DC police, these cops shooting people are out of hand. (Since, remember, only cops can have guns in DC...)

And Echo, ignore anything Hank says. 80+% of the time, it's trolling. Or at least borderline.
AbNo...I don't know you from Adam, but we may be related somehow...at least through brain waves. Every time I see yet another story of a shooting in either D.C. or Maryland, I say, "Oh my God, it must have been a cop. Everyone knows that no one else is allowed to carry guns besides cops." I crap you not, you can ask my wife...I'm sure she's more than sick of hearing me say it time and again...one day she's gonna stop watching the news with me! Heck, one day I should stop watching the freaking news! I have a couple LEO friends that are "drinking buddies" and they would tell you the same thing. They must either believe me (kidding), or just like me just enough and think I'm crazy as neither have bothered to shoot me yet :lol:...yet...

TEX1N

imported post

psmartin wrote:
Assuming that

A) SCOTUS accepts the case & rules favorably for the rights of homeowners

or

B) SCOTUS lets the current ruling stand

Doesn't this create a domino effect for New York & Chicago? If it becomes legal to keep a handgun in the home in DC, under what grounds could Chicago & New York keep up the ruse?
It does because of the individual right precedent that it would set, especially if "A" becomes true. However, it will probably not immediately invalidate any state laws, i.e. NY or Chicago, for many different reasons.

First, the 2nd Amendment is one of the few Bill of Rights that has not been incorporated to apply to the states. And because DC is a federal district, the question of if the 2A should apply to the states or not, is not before the Court in Parker. However, if we are lucky the Court may imply that they would be willing to incorporate the 2A to apply to the states through future cases.

Second, Parker is a very narrow case, focusing mainly on the issue of being able to possess a readily accessible, functioning firearm, within one's home, for the purpose of self-defense. This means that broader gun-control laws will probably not be addressed in Parker (i.e. concealed carry, open carry, transportation, purchase, etc.).

In all reality if Parker is affirmed by the Court, it will have almost no immediate impact on the vast majority of gun control laws. However, it will have a devastating long term effect on the gun control movement as a whole. And with future court cases and future legislation in light of Parker, we might be able to get a glimpse of what "Shall not be infringed" really means!

TEX1N

imported post

BTW, The Donkster and A_Deuce, welcome to OCDO! Both of yall should hang out here more often, it looks like you have some useful insight that we could all benefit from.

AbNo

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
AbNo...I don't know you from Adam, but we may be related somehow...at least through brain waves. Every time I see yet another story of a shooting in either D.C. or Maryland, I say, "Oh my God, it must have been a cop. Everyone knows that no one else is allowed to carry guns besides cops."

Eh, actually, I saw it a couple of weeks ago or so around here (I forget who posted it originally), and it was just kind of a :shock: moment. It all made sense! :lol:

Citizens + DC = No Guns

Cops + DC = Guns

Citizens - Guns + DC = No Shootings

Guns = Shootings

Therefore

Citizens + DC ≠ Shootings

Which leads us to....

Cops + DC = Shootings

I knew those math classes I took last semester would pay off! :celebrate

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
echo6tango wrote:
AbNo...I don't know you from Adam, but we may be related somehow...at least through brain waves. Every time I see yet another story of a shooting in either D.C. or Maryland, I say, "Oh my God, it must have been a cop. Everyone knows that no one else is allowed to carry guns besides cops."

Eh, actually, I saw it a couple of weeks ago or so around here (I forget who posted it originally), and it was just kind of a :shock: moment. It all made sense! :lol:

Citizens + DC = No Guns

Cops + DC = Guns

Citizens - Guns + DC = No Shootings

Guns = Shootings

Therefore

Citizens + DC ≠ Shootings

Which leads us to....

Cops + DC = Shootings

I knew those math classes I took last semester would pay off! :celebrate

I am certain that the school would cancel the course if they had any idea that is what you were learning, and how you were applying it.:lol:

Regards