Thread: Parker vs DC

Post imported post

http://www.cato.org/new/pressrelease.php?id=108

News Release

July 16, 2007

Media Contact: (202) 789-5200

Mayor Fenty to Seek Supreme Court Review of Court Decision Striking Down D.C. Gun Ban
    Parker v. District of Columbia could be first time the Court has examined 2nd Amendment issues in nearly 70 years

WASHINGTON -- Mayor Adrian Fenty announced today that he will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit striking down on Second Amendment grounds Washington, D.C.'s firearms ban. The Supreme Court has never definitively ruled on the Second Amendment, making the constitutionality of gun ownership among the most important unresolved questions in all of constitutional law.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Courts and legal scholars are sharply divided over the meaning of that language and whether it protects an individual right to keep and bear arms or merely a "collective" right of the states to arm their own citizen militias. If the Supreme Court agrees to review this case, Parker v. District of Columbia, it will be the first time the Court has considered the meaning of the Second Amendment in nearly 70 years. In the only prior case, U.S. v. Miller (1939), the Court did not provide a definitive interpretation of the Second Amendment.

"This case is enormously important, not only to the Parker plaintiffs and other D.C. residents, but to persons nationwide who care about the Constitution and the right to bear arms," said plaintiff's co-counsel and Cato Institute senior fellow Robert Levy.

Parker was brought by six Washington, D.C. residents who wish to have guns in their homes for self protection. District laws, however, impose a total ban on the possession of functional firearms within the home. (Residents may register shotguns and rifles, but they must be kept unloaded and either disassembled or trigger-locked—and there is no exception for self-defense.)

"As a practical matter, gun laws like those in the District of Columbia are abysmal failures wherever they are in place, in the United States as well as abroad," said Roger Pilon, vice president for legal affairs at the Cato Institute. "They disarm law-abiding citizens while criminals ignore them with impunity. It is thus no accident that Washington is often called the murder capitol of the nation."

Concludes Pilon: "With Mayor Fenty's decision today, the Supreme Court will have an opportunity at last to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, or instead protects only the right of members of the militia to keep and bear arms, as gun-control advocates argue."

While the Supreme Court only accepts a small percentage of the appeals it receives each year, leading court-watchers consider the Parker case a strong candidate for Supreme Court review.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Will be watching this one. I'm not sure it's clear which way it'd go if they voted today.

Post imported post

Here is a good synopsis of how the court may vote.

http://www.hoffmang.com/archives/000716.html#000716

Post imported post

cato wrote:

"So I'm going out on a limb and saying with these odds we could see a 6-3 ruling in favor of an individual right to arms."

:what:

Wouldn't that be great!

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    WASHINGTON -- Mayor Adrian Fenty announced today that he will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit striking down on Second Amendment grounds Washington, D.C.'s firearms ban. The Supreme Court has never definitively ruled on the Second Amendment, making the constitutionality of gun ownership among the most important unresolved questions in all of constitutional law.
    :shock:What? Ahhhh!!! So now we questioning what the 2nd amendment says? It's pretty clear to me! How else can someoneunderstand: "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"? As I said before:

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    cato wrote:

"So I'm going out on a limb and saying with these odds we could see a 6-3 ruling in favor of an individual right to arms."

:what:

Wouldn't that be great!
    It wont change anything. politicians will find other ways to disarm us.

I am sure these otherwise unconstituional bastards will soon find a new love with the tenth amendment and be ALL about states rights...

State Researcher

Post imported post

This is the one thing that could make places like CA & DC recognize this right. Those of you living in free states don't realize how good you got it... I hope this ruling comes down before I move to NH. I would LOVE to be able to legally carry a loaded gun down a city street here in CA.

These are very exciting times. Let's just hope the SCOTUS judges take all their meds and do their job on this one.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.