• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Governor Kaine lock out pro-gun student groups from August campus security conference?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

We need to do somthing ASAP to secure a seat for VCDL and GMU SCC.

Note below Montanans rejects gun ban plans for colleges by 100-2 margin!

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=128535&ran=8166

SNIP

Governor schedules campus security conference Aug. 13
By MATTHEW BOWERS, The Virginian-Pilot
(c) July 17, 2007 | Last updated 9:47 PM Jul. 16
Gov. Timothy M. Kaine will host a conference Aug. 13 to share information on college campus security, he said Monday.
Officials from Virginia's public and private colleges have been invited to the day long event, which spokesman Kevin Hall said was scheduled to coincide with students beginning to return to dormitories and classrooms for the first full semester since the April 16 mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

Faculty and student leaders also have been asked to attend the **invitation-only conference** at Virginia Commonwealth University's Stuart C. Siegel Center in Richmond. Kaine will make opening remarks at 9 a.m.
Let's post some comments at this link: http://www.topix.net/forum/source/hampton-roads-daily-press/T38GASC0J31A9L61T

Also, see in Montana - public comment opposes draft campus gun ban plan by 100-2. See "Campus security: Gun rights activists say firearms ban would make MSU more dangerous," The Bozeman Daily Chronicle[/i][/b], by Gail Schontzler, July 16, 2007, reprinted in part by the Associated Press at http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6797129&nav=23ii.
----------------
Action Item:

Go to http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Draft message:

SUBJECT: Please invite pro-gun groups to 13 AUG conference!

Dear Governor Kaine:

I have read that your August 13[suP]th[/suP] college campus security conference at VCU will include college administrators and student groups, but will be “by invitation only.”

I am concerned that this conference is being stacked against the human right of self-defense.

I urge you to ensure that both pro-gun citizen and college student representatives are invited.

Specifically, I ask you to invite the Virginia Citizens Defense League and GMU Students for Concealed Carry to attend this meeting.

Finally, I hope you will also open this meeting to the public, or at least provide live and taped video access tot eh proceedings.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

bayboy42

imported post

Letter tweaked a little bit and sent:

Dear Governor Kaine:

I have read that you will be holding an “invitation only” college campus security conference on August 13th at Virginia Commonwealth University to include college administrators and student groups. I am extremely concerned that this conference is being stacked against the human right of self-defense. I urge you to ensure that representatives from pro-gun citizen and college student organizations are invited. Specifically, I ask you to invite the Virginia Citizens Defense League and the George Mason University Students for Concealed Carry to attend this meeting.

Additionally, I hope you will also open this meeting to the public, or at least provide live and taped video access to the proceedings.

Sincerely,

lunghd

imported post

Personalized & sent.

Hokie94Sheepdog wrote:
Isn't VCUcampus a gun-free victim zone?

So was Virginia Tech... a fact I reminded Governor Kaine of in my letter.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lunghd wrote:
So was Virginia Tech... a fact I reminded Governor Kaine of in my letter.

The difference being, of course, VCU is gun-free by statute, which applies to everyone. The other campuses are gun-free by adminstrative fiat, which can be applied only to students, faculty, and staff, not unaffiliated citizens.

Not that it makes it different in reality, just in legislative land.

lunghd

imported post

Yup, thanks. I just caught that about the VCU campus while looking up the statutes. Still learning what day of the week, which direction and what foot one has to stand on while open carrying.

Lot of great info on this site!

AbNo

imported post

Hokie94Sheepdog wrote:
Isn't VCU campus a gun-free victim zone?

Yep! A friend of mine wanted me to go with her to see the campus, and DURING THE OFFICIAL CAMPUS TOUR, we saw....

2 Muggings
3 Bikes completely stripped for parts
2 Drug Deals
4 Prostitute

When I asked the tour guides why they had bicycle seats in their purses: "I don't want it to get stolen."

And on the way out of there, a Buick broke down in the middle of the road right in front of us.

mlands

imported post

We wouldn't have thisVirginia State sponsored politicalcrapola if Tim Kaine had not won the governors race.He wasanti-gun as Mayor of Richmond.Thisshows just how important State and Local elections really are. Now we have to hope he won'tdo too much legislative damage to our gun rights in his four years as our governor.

XD Owner

imported post

Done.

I tweaked it to say (in part) " Such a conference should include diverse points
of view, so I urge you to ensure that both pro-self defense and college student representatives are invited."

Here's hoping VCDL and GMU-SCC get invited!

mercutio545

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Hokie94Sheepdog wrote:
Isn't VCUcampus a gun-free victim zone?

Yep! A friend of mine wanted me to go with her to see the campus, and DURING THE OFFICIAL CAMPUS TOUR, we saw....

2 Muggings
2 Drug Deals
4 Prostitute

When I asked the tour guides why they had bicycle seats in their purses: "I don't want it to get stolen."

And on the way out of there, a Buick broke down in the middle of the road right in front of us.
You must have come on an off day then. I've lived on campus at VCU for 2 years now, and I've never seen any muggings. Especially in broad daylight... that seems strange. And I think that die VCU polizei would have seen at least those muggings and the prostitutes. In fact, I've never seen any prostitutes here either. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. :?

That is true about the bikes though. That's why I ride a crappy bike, so nobody will try to strip it. Those stripped bikes are ones that have been locked up for a long time though. If you just ride your bike to class, then ride it back, nobody will touch it.

Hokie94Sheepdog

imported post

Okay, okay.... so preemption has nothing to do with my 2A rights when I go through VCU or my Alma Mater?..??? I am not as confused with VT as I am with VCU. VT campusencompasses one entire location for the most part. VCU on the other hand is chopped up, it owns bits and pieces of the fan and most of the areas surrounding Monroe Park. What does the statute say?

State law should trump, no?

AbNo

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Hokie94Sheepdog wrote:
Isn't VCU campus a gun-free victim zone?

2 Muggings
2 Drug Deals
4 Prostitute

You must have come on an off day then. I've lived on campus at VCU for 2 years now, and I've never seen any muggings. Especially in broad daylight... that seems strange. And I think that die VCU polizei would have seen at least those muggings and the prostitutes. In fact, I've never seen any prostitutes here either. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. :?

That is true about the bikes though. That's why I ride a crappy bike, so nobody will try to strip it. Those stripped bikes are ones that have been locked up for a long time though. If you just ride your bike to class, then ride it back, nobody will touch it.

Well, I know you live in Richmond, but maybe I just have a better eye for it. :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's the form-letter response I got from the governor's office.....

"Thank you for your interest in Goveror's Campus Security Conference at the Virginia Commonwealth University's Siegel Center on August 13, 2007. For your information this is not a meeting of the Virginia Tech Review Panel. This is a conference bringing together campus officials to discuss security issues on Virginia's campuses.

"While it is correct that there is a specific audience from the college and university faculty staff and student leadership who have been invited to participate as registrants for the conference, there will also be stadium seating available for the general public who wish to attend and hear the same panel presentations.

"While lunch and vendor display access will be limited to the invited registrants, the event is otherwise open to the public."

Sincerely
Robert P. Crouch, Jr."

whoever he is.

Basically, shut up and color. We'll hear what we want.