Thread: from fox news

Post imported post

Bloomie appears to like calling people insane. he called this guy insane and he called the gun giveaway organizers "sick people"

Assassins Terrorize the Willing on Streets of Chicago
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This week, on the streets of Chicago, a shadowy group of "assassins" is on the loose.[/b]

But don’t panic. They’re stalking each other not with actual weapons but with water guns — and it’s all a big game.

StreetWars, as the wet multi-city spree is called, was created by New York securities attorney Franz Aliquo — and though it has police in Chicago worried, it began there on Monday as planned, so far with no arrests.

Around 100 participants, called agents or assassins, paid about $40 for the chance to be given profiles and photographs of other players they then have to hunt down in Chicago over a three-week period.

Click here to see the full report on MyFOXChicago.com.[/b]

They set to work tracking down their victims and ultimately going in for the “kill” — a nice, healthy squirt of H2O from a plastic pistol or a water balloon. Think paintball, with water instead of paint and in cities instead of woods.

The game continues until there’s only one agent left.
    "We’ve all had the dream and desire to kind of be our own James Bond, and this was a good opportunity to try that out," Aliquo told MyFOXChicago.com.

There are rules: No shooting in bars, workplaces, buses, subways or el trains. Restaurants, stores and streets are all approved hunting grounds.

Aliquo, who calls himself the Supreme Commander of the Shadow Government, created StreetWars three years ago, in spite of what he characterized as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s efforts to shut it down.

"Mike Bloomberg, the mayor of New York, called me insane," he told MyFOXChicago.

The game has since been staged in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Vienna — and now, Chicago. Next up: London again, Toronto and Paris.

Chicago police warn that StreetWars is a risky business in this post-9/11 world, calling it “irresponsible” and saying it “infringes on the public’s safety.”

So far, however, no one has been seriously injured — one person sprained an ankle once, according to the Supreme Commander — and no one in any city has succeeded in stopping the StreetWars assassins in their tracks.

Post imported post

This a variation on an old idea. I seem to remember a movie about college kids stalking each other with paintball guns and one of them gets mixed up with some East German spy thing back in the '80s.

The Chicago PD needs to cool out and stop wetting the bed.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    You can go ahead and apply that statement to government in general. Sounds unique, interesting, or fun? It probably needs a healthy dose of regulating. Don't forget that you'll need some permits, too.

Post imported post

I sure hope that thesechildren (grown-up or not)are using water pistols which are easily distinguishable from real weapons... I can imagine many situations which could end badly if they aren't.

Post imported post

Oh my gosh! Better make sure they all have permits and mental background checks to carry those water pistols! Dihydrogen monoxide (H2O) sounds like a dangerous chemical compound to me! Maybe OSHA should regulate it.

Sounds like a heluva lot of fun! I don't see how packing brightly colored (assumed) water pistols can be dangerous in a post 9/11 era. Also, I wonder if people ever referred to the "post Pearl Harbor" era with respect to firearms, toy guns and water guns? Doubtful since i still have old toy guns from my childhood that grossly violate today's safety/visilbility standards.

Post imported post

We used to play that game on campus at Virginia Tech (the rule was you couldn't be attacked during class). But everyone had to stop using the water pistols because of the ban on guns (even the toy ones) on campus. So people had to throw hackysacks or a rolled up sock instead.

Post imported post

They used to do at ETSU campus. Rules were simple, all water guns had to be painted a funky color like see through yellow or purple with orange middle. Campus Police were notified when it started and ended and list of participants. We always had great fun. We had same rule of no popping during class itself but to or away from class was legit. Had a couple of "shootouts" in class hall. Most people found it hilarious but there was always a few "zomg, that's so wrong"

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    We used to play that game on campus at Virginia Tech (the rule was you couldn't be attacked during class). But everyone had to stop using the water pistols because of the ban on guns (even the toy ones) on campus. So people had to throw hackysacks or a rolled up sock instead.

I'm surprised the campus reps didn't call for a 10-day waiting period before purchasing socks.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    This a variation on an old idea. I seem to remember a movie about college kids stalking each other with paintball guns and one of them gets mixed up with some East German spy thing back in the '80s.

Right -- It was called "Gotcha"

DC

Post imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
    Worst. Video game. Ever. > )
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    DeadCenter wrote:
    Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembered that game....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

ccloud43

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    DeadCenter wrote:
    Wow, I thought I was the only one that remembered that game....
    If you think that is bad I have the movie on VHS tape.

Post imported post

I knew somebody around here would remember that movie.