• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do Not Legally Open Carry in Mobile, AL, You Are Brandishing!

Andrewsky

imported post

This makes me sick!:cuss:

Knowing how intense you guys are about the right to bear arms (more so that on other forums), you all will appreciate this. It's debatable that it was unwise for the guy to do this, but he did nothing unlawful.
pukehead.gif

"Mobile police said they plan to arrest a man today who scared people Friday evening as he walked through a Spring Hill neighborhood with a loaded, semiautomatic AK-47-style rifle.

Officers confiscated the rifle Friday but could not take the man into custody until they had a warrant signed by both a magistrate and the man who made the complaint, Mobile police spokesman Officer Eric Gallichant said.

Gallichant said that on Monday, a magistrate signed a warrant for a charge of disorderly conduct, and officers expected to obtain the signature of one of the witnesses today. Once that is done, the man will be arrested, he said.

Gallichant said, however, that he would not release the man's name Monday because officers had not yet obtained the second signature needed to activate the warrant.

While it is not illegal to carry an assault rifle, it is against the law to use the gun to alarm people, Gallichant said.

"I think it is important that people understand that although he may not be specifically charged with carrying a weapon out in the open like that, just the act of doing so can cause public alarm, which is covered by disorderly conduct," Gallichant said.

"Carrying one around in that manner in the neighborhood, even though he did not point it at someone, is not to be taken lightly."

The man who had the gun lives on Oakwood Lane, Gallichant said.

Jeferey Quinelly, another Spring Hill resident, filed the complaint and most likely will be the person to sign the arrest warrant, Gallichant said.

Spring Hill resident Sean P. Costello said the man, who is in his early 20s, was spotted by several people about 6 p.m. Friday, walking along Oakwood and Dilston lanes.

Costello said Monday that he did not see the man, but two of his neighbors and his gardener did. He said that although no one saw the man point the rifle at anyone, people were frightened. He said the gardener, who had just started cutting the grass, was so frightened that he fled without finishing the job.

Costello said the whole incident frightened his 4-year-old daughter.

Even though the man didn't threaten anyone or point the rifle at them, such incidents can lead to violence, Costello said.

"When you've got someone walking up and down the street with a loaded assault rifle ... there is always the possibility that it can get out of hand, and people can get hurt," he said.

Larry McCoy, owner of Larry's Gun Shop in the 2700 block of Pleasant Valley Road just off Government Boulevard, said Monday that he sells a Romanian-made, AK-47-style weapon for $400.

McCoy said federal law states that a person 18 or older who is not a convicted felon can legally purchase a semiautomatic assault rifle.

Anyone who meets the federal requirements can be in and out of his shop within 10 minutes, armed with an AK-47-style weapon and bullets.

McCoy said, however, that he will not sell an assault rifle to anyone under 21 because he does not believe a teenager is mature enough to handle such a weapon. He said the Spring Hill incident disturbs him.

"It is not socially acceptable," McCoy said. "You just don't do that."

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/118466401148560.xml&coll=3&thispage=1

Andrewsky

imported post

Thank you and sorry for the re-post. Moderators please delete this.

You're right it is disorderly conduct. I'm sorry I wasn't careful with details in my rage.:cuss:

:lol:

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Andrewsky wrote:
Thank you and sorry for the re-post. Moderators please delete this.

You're right it is disorderly conduct. I'm sorry I wasn't careful with details in my rage.:cuss:

:lol:
Welcome aboard Andrewsky!

My intent wasn't to "scold" you...just point you to the conversation:D

Legba

imported post

Why do they presume that he intended to alarm anyone?

-ljp

kurtmax_0

imported post

There doesn't have to be intent to be charged with disorderly conduct. It states that:

A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior;

blah blah blah

My guess is they will make a case that he was recklessly tumultuous or recklessly threatening.

Problem is for the tumultuous one, is it says violent tumultous. Plus, to be tumultuous actually requires a specific action of inciting violence.

For the threatening, well that's a bit more viable, however it still has problems. I would find it hard to argue that someone could be "unknowingly and recklessly involved in threatening behavior". In addition, I cannot find a single case in Alabama where someone was convicted of DC for appearing threatening. If this guy gets convicted I'm going to start signing warrants for large and muscular people..... For a small nerdy person like me they are threatening ;)

Legba

imported post

It has to be intentional or reckless in Ohio (in any case fairly narrowly defined), thankfully. Self-defense is a recognized lawful and reasonable purpose (in our state constitution anyway), so you might be able to challenge the "reckless" aspect on that basis, I should think. As long as you're not drunk, threatening, and/or brandishing, it sounds like a weak case.

-ljp

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well three important legal documents would be:

Alabama Constitution Section 26:

"Right to bear arms. That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state."

Code of Alabama 13A-11-7:

"Disorderly conduct. (a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or

..."

Also would be 15-5-31:

"Search for dangerous weapon; procedure if weapon or other thing found. When a sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to this article and reasonably suspects that he is in danger of life or limb, he may search such person for a dangerous weapon. If such officer finds such a weapon or any other thing, the possession of which may constitute a crime, he may take and keep it until the completion of the questioning, at which time he shall either return it, if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person."

opencarrypalmtrees

does this law really make sense?

let me get this straight he was carrying a rifle with a sling on his back and walking in public and he was arrested for this even though he didn't even reach for his gun? this is crazy. So if I have an ugly face with pimples or i have an accident where i look hideous to the eye is that disorderly conduct? I am just testing how applicable really that law is :\

MilProGuy

"Mobile police said they plan to arrest a man today who scared people Friday evening as he walked through a Spring Hill neighborhood with a loaded, semiautomatic AK-47-style rifle.

Most likely, this same guy as a child always had to be the center of attention.

Guess he accomplished what he set out to do.

eye95

let me get this straight he was carrying a rifle with a sling on his back and walking in public and he was arrested for this even though he didn't even reach for his gun? this is crazy. So if I have an ugly face with pimples or i have an accident where i look hideous to the eye is that disorderly conduct? I am just testing how applicable really that law is :\

I don't know the outcome of this case; it is four years old. However, Jonathon Norris was recently convicted of disorderly conduct in Birmingham simply for carry. He is in the process of appealing. We had a bill in front of the AL legislature that would specifically prevent these abuses. ALOC didn't have the wherewithal to properly advocate for its passage. I don't see the situation improving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well three important legal documents would be:

Alabama Constitution Section 26:

"Right to bear arms. That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state."

The carrier has the right to keep and bear arms. Merely a reflection of 2A.

Code of Alabama 13A-11-7:

"Disorderly conduct. (a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or...

This could be a problem, first for the prosecutor, as they will have to prove either intent or recklessness. Proving intent would be difficult - who's to say what his intent was? Proving recklessness might seem easier, except for the fact that if the law doesn't specifically prohibit it, and actually allows RKBA, how could it be reckless?

Daylen

Anyone know how this one turned out? It seems very close to the predicament Mr. Norris is in and might have relevant court precedence.

Always the AK guys getting arrested...

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

kurtmax_0 made an important point in his post, that apparently went unnoticed. The officer's admit they had no authority to arrest him that night, but they unlawfully seized his property anyway. Alabama law states that if the officer seizes a weapon, at the end of the stop he "shall either return it, if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person." There is no middle ground. Either you give the gun back and leave, or you arrest and keep the gun. The officer has no grounds for seizing the weapon without arrest.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

Most likely, this same guy as a child always had to be the center of attention.

Guess he accomplished what he set out to do.

How do you figure?

With your logic everyone who open carries is some attention whore out to scare people?

Dreamer

Under the interpretation of this law by Mobile PD, people with tattoos, people in "biker clothes", African American men wearing saggy pants and Phillies caps, or anyone who looks remotely Arabic could be arrested for DC because some bed-wetting ninny "felt threatened by their appearance"...

This case sets a VERY dangerous precedent with regards to not just 2A issues, but also 1A, 4A, an 14A rights...

Dreamer

With your logic, I guess it would probably be acceptable to open carry a bazooka.

Logical Fallacy Violation.

Argumentum ad Absurdum.

Flag down...

Bazookas are "destructive devices" and as such are Class III devices, and are NOT legal to OC (or even transport) in most jurisdictions without special notification to the local LEAs by the owner.

Although I'm all for the rights of Citizens to own such devices, and to use them in appropriate circumstances if they like, I don't think any rational person could ever define a bazooka as a "self defense firearm".

Technically, a bazooka isn't really even a "firearm"--it is a rocket launching device.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Logical Fallacy Violation.

Argumentum ad Absurdum.

Flag down...

Bazookas are "destructive devices" and as such are Class III devices, and are NOT legal to OC (or even transport) in most jurisdictions without special notification to the local LEAs by the owner.

Although I'm all for the rights of Citizens to own such devices, and to use them in appropriate circumstances if they like, I don't think any rational person could ever define a bazooka as a "self defense firearm".

Technically, a bazooka isn't really even a "firearm"--it is a rocket launching device.

I knew it was illegal to carry a bazooka.

I was trying to make a point that it would be just as ridiculous to open carry a bazooka as it is to open carry an AK-47 type rifle.