Thread: Utah man charged after firing six shots at backyard intruder trying to light BBQ grill

Post imported post

Utah man charged after firing six shots at backyard intruder trying to light BBQ grill

The Associated Press

ROY, Utah — A man fired six shots at a backyard intruder who was trying to light a barbecue grill, police said. "Way odd," Police Chief Greg Whinham said. Michael Wilder, 66, was charged with attempted homicide after chasing Kory Scott and shooting at him.

"Nobody should wake up and find someone in their backyard doing anything, but the law's very specific that you can't use deadly force in that situation," Whinham said.

Scott was not injured in the July 11 incident. He twice tried to run away when Wilder confronted him, according to court documents.

"Stop or I'll shoot," the homeowner said, according to the documents.

Wilder fired two shots, followed by four more, police said.

A phone message left for Wilder was not immediately returned Tuesday.

———

Information from: Standard-Examiner,

http://www.standard.net

State Researcher

Post imported post

Kory Scott, secret agent. License to Grill.

:P

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    ROY, Utah — A man fired six shots at a backyard intruder who was trying to light a barbecue grill, police said. "Way odd," Police Chief Greg Whinham said. Michael Wilder, 66, was charged with attempted homicide after chasing Kory Scott and shooting at him.

"Nobody should wake up and find someone in their backyard doing anything, but the law's very specific that you can't use deadly force in that situation," Whinham said.

Scott was not injured in the July 11 incident. He twice tried to run away when Wilder confronted him, according to court documents.

"Stop or I'll shoot," the homeowner said, according to the documents.

Wilder fired two shots, followed by four more, police said.
    I don't see the problem. Wilder was just neutralizing the threat. As "many others" would have done.

What do people expect, that Scott get somekind of dman hug??What's next--cheese and wine??

:P

P.S. Six shots...all misses. Wilder better get his a**to the range. He needs neutralizing practice right away...

Post imported post

Sounds like his a"" will be getting neutralizedsoon enough. Why would you open fire on someone trying to light your grill? Just ask if he has enough for everyone, then go on a beer run.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Maybe a sneakylawyer willget him offas self-defense against attempted arson.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that in some states the common law permits shooting an arsonist who is right now about to setfire to your homeand who refused to stop. Very vague recollection.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

This doesn't make any sense.
    Typical vague newspaper story...