• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Law Ignorance!

HOLYROLLER

imported post

Just got off the phone with Airway Heights / Spokane Police / Spokane Sherriff. All three stated that it was "not a good idea" to open carry and that if someone called on me I would be arrested. I was informed that someone calling constituted alarm and gave sufficient grounds for arrest! I have thouroughly researched the laws and know my rights, how can the police here be so ignorant of the same laws? I was even asked by the Sherriff "why would you need to carry a gun?"

It made me angry that I was told I would be arrested for not breaking the law and would end up having to fight it in court. Just wanted to vent, great site, thanks.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Unfortunately, quite a few LEO's act in this manner. What can you do? Give them training bullitens regarding OC, keep literature on your person perhaps. It sounds like they are aware of the legality of OC, but opposed to it. Someone calling the police reporting alarm, is enough to take the trip and investigate, however they should get both sides of the story before just hauling you off.

jenzenk

imported post

It has nothing to do with ignorance. It has to do with the cops not liking the fact that people can open carry. What most sheeple forget is that cops are not required to protect us. This was decided in the supreme court. The police cannot be held liable for preventing a crime, or showing up after someone has been harmed after a call was placed... bur god forbid we carry, OC or CC. Bet some students at VT or those poor souls in Ruby's were wishing they were carrying.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Happy carrying!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jenzenk wrote:
SNIP...The police cannot be held liable for preventing a crime, or showing up after someone has been harmed after a call was placed... bur god forbid we carry, OC or CC.
Which opens the door to derision against the police for picking on easy targets.

Best thing to do is check thoroughly with the other Washington state forum members on this issue. Also, you could check if there have been any court cases clarifying this point.

One thing we have learned is NEVER take a cop's word for anything to do with firearms.

jenzenk

imported post

I lived in Wa for eight years (Whidbey Island) and OC'd often. Had some contact with police and they "didn't recommend" I OC'd but didn't do anything since they couldn't.

Boils down to "we don't like it but can't stop it" mentality. Just like everywhere else. If there's no law preventing it, it'slegal.