• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Businesses that Ban Guns

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Looks like we will be adding this one to the DNP list

Verizon Store
Assist. Manager David M Orona
Store Manager Angela Guida
4009 Tacoma Mall Blvd
Tacoma, WA 98409
(800) 899-4249

OCing with my daughter to get her defective phone replaced. The manager and security had me leave the store. The manager showed me a copy of some policy but would not let me have a copy of it because it was "private and confidential." I already have email to corporate over the incident and will post more when I have it. According to the manager David "Weapons are not allowed in the store."

just_a_car

imported post

As I'm sure some people noticed, I took a couple month+ break from OCDO for personal reasons. I'll do my best to go back and update the Lists on the original post (OP) with all the new info within the next coming week.

Though you may not see me post much on the forum here, it doesn't mean I've stopped OC'ing or promoting OC and handing out pamphlets (did quite a bit of all of the above at my recent Hunters Education classes). If you want to catch me posting more, head on over to GunAndGame.com (they've earned their title of The Friendliest Gun Forum On The Internet).

freeafrog

imported post

Wal-Mart Colville refused entrance to a customer saying it was against policy to have a weapon in the store. No way to contact corporate to find out their policy as they no longer have Corporate email on their site.

just_a_car

imported post

As I look through the posts since I've last done a major edit, I see a LOT of people not following what I'm going to call the "rules" that I laid down in the original post of this thread (such as the previous two posters).

You can list "friendly" places and drop hearsay all you'd like, but it won't get anything on a list. I don't blackball businesses on the say-so of someone on the internet unless I trust them (that usually means I've met you in person at an OCDO meet or somesuch).

freeafrog

imported post

Whether you put it in your obsolete worthless list, others are at least warned to be prepared to deal with the situation or avoid it. As to the requirement to meet you, most of the posters on this site don't live near you or want to. Why don't YOU visit the store yourself?

wop

imported post

I work @ a WA Fred Meyer. There firearm policy is for associates, not specifically customers. I spent 1 1/2 years as Loss Prevention and another 1 1/2 years in Human Resources (same store) with them and don't know of a policy regarding OC or CC for customers. The only policy I'm aware of is for associates.

While in LP though there was a time when a customer came in with what appearred to be a semi auto pistol on his hip. Caused quite the ruckus with management. My Manager was asked to go and talk to him, which he did. The customer was asked if he had a CC permit and he said "no," and "that he didn't need one since it wasn't concealed." My manager then explained that people(only management)were concerned about it and it would probably be best to leave and and come back to shop w/o the gun.

Commodore76

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As I look through the posts since I've last done a major edit, I see a LOT of people not following what I'm going to call the "rules" that I laid down in the original post of this thread (such as the previous two posters).

You can list "friendly" places and drop hearsay all you'd like, but it won't get anything on a list. I don't blackball businesses on the say-so of someone on the internet unless I trust them (that usually means I've met you in person at an OCDO meet or somesuch).

As I re-read your "rules" I have come to realize that I did not mention on my post that it was someone making a positive comment to me that led me to mention those specific businesses here. I have been many places where nothing was said and as a result, I did not include them in my original post.For the businesses I listed, at the very least, it was an Asst Manager who made a positive comment.

Just an update, the Store Manager oflocalRadio Shackasked for some info regarding OC in Wa. Sent him to this site and to applicable RCW's regarding firearms. He was not aware that OC by civies was legal and thrilled tohear it.

He always assumed I was an off-duty LEO. Grrr...(Kidding! I know Cops are people too)

With all due respect,

Commodore

hrlysef

Banned
imported post

For the Ban List:

ShowareCenter in Kent. Look in their policy section under the Venue header, "Guests, including law enforcement personnel not working in an official capacity, are prohibited from bringing weapons into ShoWare Center. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms....", curious if any of their corporate parterships feel the same way.

Lammo

imported post

Sherwin Williams paint store, 7102 N. Division, Spokane, has a no firearms allowed sign in their front window. Curiously, it is way off to one side, not right by or onthe door. Can't tell whether this reflects local disagreement with corporate policy or is meant to be a trap for the unwary.

Ajetpilot

imported post

hrlysef wrote:
For the Ban List:

ShowareCenter in Kent. Look in their policy section under the Venue header, "Guests, including law enforcement personnel not working in an official capacity, are prohibited from bringing weapons into ShoWare Center. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms....", curious if any of their corporate parterships feel the same way.

Here is a list of things they consider to be "weapons" in addition to firearms: Weapons of any kind (i.e. pepper spray, tear gas, handcuffs, stun guns, etc.)

Then check this out, "If a guest is found inside the venue with a prohibited item, the item will be confiscated and the guest may be ejected from the facility." They plan on stealing your property.

It's their property, so I guess I won't be going to any Thunderbirds games.

Welcome, hrlysef.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

It's their property, so I guess I won't be going to any Thunderbirds games.

RCW 9.41.300 (2)
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

The city of Kent owns the building but the arena is managed and operated by Philadelphia-based SMG. SMG, formerly known as Spectacor Management Group, is a worldwide property management group headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that specializes in managing publicly owned facilities. SMG was a joint venture in general partnership form with two equal principals: The Hyatt Hotel Company and ARAMARK Corporation but was bought by American Capital in 2007. They began their operation in 1977 with management of the Louisiana Superdome and have grown to one of the largest property management corporations in the world.

KENT, WA – March 19, 2008 –The Kent City Council yesterday approved an agreement with Philadelphia-based SMG for the management of the Kent Events Center. SMG is the largest manager of arena and convention centers in the United States.
The three-year service agreement, which commences January 1, 2009, includes a fixed fee payment of $134,000 per year which will be paid for out of revenues the City expects to generate from events at the facilty.
Under the agreement, SMG will manage the day-to-day operations of the Kent Events Center including event booking, the budget, vendor selection, public relations and marketing, as well as staffing. They will also provide pre-opening services for the next ten months.

Lammo

imported post

The trouble with this is that it's not "their" property if by "their" you mean the management company. It's still public property and the management company is trying to do by policies what the City of Kent cannot do by local ordinance. I'm not going to be the one to test this but I believe "they" will be guilty of unlawful imprisonment and theft when they try to enforce this.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

try to simplify this:

Safeco Field - Publicly owned - 3rd party run - can refuse weapons*
Qwest Field - Publicly owned - 3rd party run - can refuse weapons*
Kent Event Center- Publicly owned - 3rd party run - can refuse weapons

Tacoma Dome - Publicly owned - city run - can not refuse weapons*
Cheney Stadium - Publicly owned - city run - can not refuse weapons

*However if found to be carrying can be asked to leave due to lease agreement with the current vendor but you cannot be charged with a crime as long as you have a CPL.

Lammo

imported post

I'm not trying to start a urinary olympics but where is the authority for the position that QWest, Safeco & Kent can refuse weapons? Is there a court case or an AGO?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Lammo wrote:
I'm not trying to start a urinary olympics but where is the authority for the position that QWest, Safeco & Kent can refuse weapons? Is there a court case or an AGO?
PNWSPA v Sequim, PNSPA v. CITY OF SEQUIM, 158 Wn.2d 342, 144 P.3d 276 (2006)

Cherry v. Mun. of
Metro. Seattle, 116 Wn.2d 794, 802, 808 P.2d 746 (1991).

Cherry supports the general proposition that when a municipality acts in a capacity that is comparable to that of a private party, the preemption clause does not apply.

A municipality acts in a proprietary capacity when it “acts as the proprietor of
a business enterprise for the private advantage of the [municipality]” and it may
“exercise its business powers in much the same way as a private individual or
corporation.” Hite v. Pub. Util. Dist. No. 2 of Grant County, 112 Wn.2d 456, 459,
772 P.2d 481 (1989); Branson v. Port of Seattle, 152 Wn.2d 862, 870, 101 P.3d 67
(2004). When acting in a proprietary capacity, a city may enter into any contract
“‘which is necessary to render the system efficient and beneficial to the public.’”
Hite, 112 Wn.2d at 460 (quoting Puget Sound Power & Light Co. v. Pub. Util.
Dist. No. 1, 17 Wn. App. 861, 864, 565 P.2d 1221 (1977)); see also Stover v.
Winston Bros. Co., 185 Wash. 416, 422, 55 P.2d 821 (1936). By issuing a
temporary use permit, the city was leasing its property to PNSPA and acting in its
private capacity as a property owner.

Lammo

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Lammo wrote:
PNWSPA v Sequim, PNSPA v. CITY OF SEQUIM, 158 Wn.2d 342, 144 P.3d 276 (2006)
Ah yes. I had forgotten about Sequim. Typically tortured "logic" from the Court of Final Error. Thanks!

Brown Labs

imported post

" Tri-State (1104 W Pullman Rd) - Moscow, ID"

I was in Tri State this afternoon for some pistol loads. I had my pistol semi-concealed, meaning if you looked hard enough, it was pretty obvious it was a pistol. I was talking with one of the guys at the gun counter about getting an extra magazine pouch for my Glock 22 mags. We talked about different holsters and I made mention of my SERPA, which I pointed to when we were talking. He didn't seem to make an issue; could have been due to the fact it wasn't blatently displayed, not sure. Either way, Tri State is the epicenter of all that is ammo in hunting in the Pullman / Moscow area, so I wouldn't totally discount them. Just use good judgment. They've got tons of great firearms and plenty of ammo.