• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open or Concealed carrying in state/national parks

nick

imported post

Does anyone know if its legal to carry open or concealed in state parks in maine? i'v seen thats its illegal, but i also saw it was legal to carry concealed, but couldnt use for hunting? can anyone help? thanks

ptmmatssc

imported post

Kind of sketchy. The DOC has this stated on there web site .
1. The possession and/or use of firearms or weapons is prohibited in all areas between May 1 and September 30, except where hunting is allowed during this period. Firearms or weapons may be transported across the Restricted Zone of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, between May 1 and September 30, provided they are securely and completely enclosed in a cover, fastened in a case, or dismantled in at least two pieces in such a manner that they cannot be fired unless the separate pieces are joined together.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/parkrules.html

But if you follow the statutes that they use to make these rules , you'll find they have been repealed etc .

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/12/title12sec1803.html

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/12/title12sec1883.html
http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/12/title12sec1885.html

There is conflict with state law vs DOC rules etc and the best bet is to call DOC themselves and then the state AG as to what is /isn't allowed for weapons carry in state parks .

Personally , I carry (concealed) within the state park areas .

nick

imported post

Thank you for your help, Im still not really sure with those sites if it is legal to carry concealed in parks. You said you did? Im thinking about baxter state park, around mt. katahdin area. Im planning on climbing the mt. this summer and will probably be CC'd.

ptmmatssc

imported post

Other Illegal Areas: Firearms or crossbows may not be carried on game preserves. Firearms must be in a case or stored in the trunk of a car when transported through Baxter State Park.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/hunting_trapping/hunt_traplaws.htm#firearmlaws

Baxter is the only state park I know of with this rule . Maybe because it is also a game preserve (which you cannot carry a firearm , regardless of permit) . I don't go to baxter . But there are so many "state parks" in maine and that one seems to be the exception to the rule .

And from Baxters own site .

22. FIREARMS, HUNTING, AND TRAPPING: Hunting and trapping are prohibited within the Park. Use or possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, sling shot, or air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise inaccessible to use. Bows may be transported through the Park if unstrung or enclosed in a case. This rule does not apply north of Trout Brook and Wadleigh Brook in T6 R9; in T6 R10; or in T2 R9 and in T2 R10 north of the West Branch of the Penobscot River, east to the thread of Abol Stream and west to the thread of the West Branch of the Penobscot River. Hunting with dogs is prohibited as defined in BSP Rule #4. General laws of the State pertaining to hunting and trapping apply in those areas, except that moose hunting and baiting any animals for hunting purposes are prohibited.

jay75009

imported post

anyone know about grafton notch in newry? i dont have my cc but have run into hostle black bears there MANY MANY MANY times...........i want to OC........i might just call the game warden there and ask, up that way there pretty honest and laid back........but if anyone here knows that would be great :-D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ptmmatssc wrote:
Other Illegal Areas: Firearms or crossbows may not be carried on game preserves. Firearms must be in a case or stored in the trunk of a car when transported through Baxter State Park.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/hunting_trapping/hunt_traplaws.htm#firearmlaws

Baxter is the only state park I know of with this rule . Maybe because it is also a game preserve (which you cannot carry a firearm , regardless of permit) . I don't go to baxter . But there are so many "state parks" in maine and that one seems to be the exception to the rule .

And from Baxters own site .

22. FIREARMS, HUNTING, AND TRAPPING: Hunting and trapping are prohibited within the Park. Use or possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, sling shot, or air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise inaccessible to use. Bows may be transported through the Park if unstrung or enclosed in a case. This rule does not apply north of Trout Brook and Wadleigh Brook in T6 R9; in T6 R10; or in T2 R9 and in T2 R10 north of the West Branch of the Penobscot River, east to the thread of Abol Stream and west to the thread of the West Branch of the Penobscot River. Hunting with dogs is prohibited as defined in BSP Rule #4. General laws of the State pertaining to hunting and trapping apply in those areas, except that moose hunting and baiting any animals for hunting purposes are prohibited.
I thought you had total state preemption. How does this "exception" fit in with statute?

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

I called the Department of fisheries and wildlife and spoke to a game warden........after september 31st you can CC or OC in state parks. untill march 31'st. between march 31'st and september 31st it is illegal.

jay75009

imported post

i did not. i think though its because of all the hikers and campers in the parks march 31st to sept. 31st . people usualy dont frequent them in the winter