Thread: My Daily CCW Rig

Post imported post

Here is the pistol and holster I CCW on a daily basis.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Cool, what rig do you OC with?

Post imported post

Rosen Premier Expressline or a Blade Tec, but the vast majority of time I'm CCWing and not OC.

Post imported post

Isn't it illegal to carry that knife concealed? That is, if you could conceal it... or is it there to make the picture a more complete composition...

Post imported post

tapper95 wrote:
    Isn't it illegal to carry that knife concealed? That is, if you could conceal it... or is it there to make the picture a more complete composition...
    Why would it be illegal to conceal it, I've got a concealed weapon permit :P:P:P

Post imported post

I was assuming you are in Virginia... I'm not sure about other states, but I believe in Virginia the so called CCW permit is actually a "Concealed Handgun Permit", specifically authorizing someone to carry a handgun.

Hopefully one of the more well versed (is there a lawyer in the house?) can shed some light on this, but I believe it does not change the laws on knife blade length... which I think is 3 inches...

There could be something that frees up permit holders to carry larger knives.... I've heard that if you have a Concealed Handgun Permit, you are exempt from the 20 round magazine limit... but again... I'm not sure...

I couldn't find specific info on it on the State Police website...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I know Florida issues Concealed Weapons Permits and allows reciprocal permit holders to conceal the same.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

tapper95 wrote:
    I was assuming you are in Virginia... I'm not sure about other states, but I believe in Virginia the so called CCW permit is actually a "Concealed Handgun Permit", specifically authorizing someone to carry a handgun.

Hopefully one of the more well versed (is there a lawyer in the house?) can shed some light on this, but I believe it does not change the laws on knife blade length... which I think is 3 inches...

There could be something that frees up permit holders to carry larger knives.... I've heard that if you have a Concealed Handgun Permit, you are exempt from the 20 round magazine limit... but again... I'm not sure...

I couldn't find specific info on it on the State Police website...
    Virginia's past permit was a concealed weapon permit - the present permit refers only to concealed handguns (CHP). The only reference to blade length in the Va. statutes has to do with carrying a knife on school property where the maximum length is 3 1/4" I believe. Unfortunitely, there is no state preemption law on knives so local municipalities have a great variety of such laws. This leaves the knife carrier (myself included) at some risk in traveling throughout the Commonwealth.

Virginia does have restrictions as to the type of blade that can be carried. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
    Examples would be: no automatic opening (except for LEs) and no double edged knives. Assisted opening are OK.

Many governmental entities view the knife as an offensive weapon as opposed to to a defensive weapon and therein lies the crux of the problem. That and the traditional "Why would anyone need a knife?"

Don't let your kids draw a picture of a knife in school either!

Yat hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

That's ridiculous - that nobody would need a knife. A knife is a basic tool, and more generally useful than a pistol (you can open a can with a 1911, but it's inelegant).

-ljp

Post imported post

Because of a variety of reasons, I choose to carry a small 2 1/2 inch blade folding knife. It is more than sufficient for 99% of the jobs I want it to do, and nobody wonders why I have a Rambo knife... I have no problems with someone carrying any knife that they want, but I prefer to keep a low profile... Plus, the only places I am not allowed to carry that knife is onto an airplane or into the courthouse... No problem with worrying about whether it is too big since 3 inches seems to be a somewhat common length that the ignorant choose to impose upon us... and I thught size didn't matter...

My Dad carries an Emerson CQC-7 with the wave assisted opening, but he also carries a very small, plain, 2 inch Buck folder that looks like it was a free gift with the purchase of luggage, or something like that... again, he's trying to maintain a low profile...

I'd prefer that my employees don't have conversations about the type of knife I flipped out to open up a box... just like the only one who knows I carry is another guy who posts here and has nicer guns than I do...

Post imported post

The only problem I've everhad was when I opened a box of computer paper at work with a switchblade. The company higher-ups were not amused. They were at least good enough to "request" that I leave it at home after that. They're technically legal to have here, but they're illegal to carry or to sell... I guess you have to have them shipped from a remote spot and leave them at home to be compliant.

-ljp