• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you go somewhere you would't?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

The post about the guy who shot, the three gangbangers that came back after a first encounter prompted me to think of this question.

I am wondering what others think of this...

I am sure there are some bad areas around where most of us are, but are there any places that you would go to with a firearm, that you would not patronize or go to if you did not have a firearm.

Basically, I am saying -- if you were in a bad neighborhood/area, and you normally would not stop to get a drink, use the bathroom or whatnot without a firearm (because of high crime rate, etc...) would you do so if you had a firearm on your person. Or would you wait until you reached a 'safer' area.

This question might not make a lot of sense, I could probably articulate it better, but I hope you get the gist of it. I am curious as to the responses.

preacher

imported post

Basically, you are asking if carry makes you bolder?

I stay out of these areas, personally due to the possibility of an incident. Carry does not embolden me.

I would wait until the 'safer' area.

pkbites

imported post

This is a better question than you think it is. I definately think some people get bolder when armed. I don't think that is overall a good thing.

Off duty the answer for me is no. There are lots of places I wouldn't be caught at, dead or armed.

PaulG

imported post

Actually a very good question.

My rule is simple: if I wouldn't go there without a gun, I won't go there at all, with or without.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

These were the answers I had been hoping to get :)

Thanks preacher, this is more along the wording I was looking for!

"Basically, you are asking if carry makes you bolder?"

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Carrying does make me feel safer. I am still very much on guard, but having a good way to defend myself makes me more confident. But there are still areas you should just stay out of.

People need to use their common sense (the ones that have some) I think some people view carrying a firearm almost like changing into Superman spandex. All of a sudden, they think no one can touch them as soon as the gun goes in their holster. You can still be killed even if you are carrying.

I believe there are two different schools of thoughts on carrying a gun:

1. Those who want to try to play cops, go looking for trouble,andtry tosave the world.

2. Carry to protect yourself or those around you inthe event thattrouble finds you (I think most on this forum would fall into this category)

If you are in category #1, it would be wise to set the gun down, and go find someone to write "stupid" in permanent marker on your forehead, just so everyone knows ahead of time when you come around what the big "S" on your chest stands for.

Just my 2 cents...

molonlabetn

imported post

I'd say that just about the opposite is true...

Compared to before I carried, I am now far more aware and criticalof the situations and placesI walk into. So, chalk me up as being far less apt to walk into a questionable environment when I carry, as opposed to when I was younger, unarmed, and more oblivious...

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

PaulG wrote:

My rule is simple: if I wouldn't go there without a gun, I won't go there at all, with or without.
+1 .....being armed/unarmed has nothing to do where I go.

openryan.....I just have to ask about your avatar....is that a new holster for your "weapon":cool:

bohdi

imported post

I am not a deathwish/vigilante kind of guy. Due to that I don't go to places witha firearm than Iwould avoid in everyday lifewithout it. There probably are people that would and do, I don't think that's a wise choice and those types of people are "looking" for trouble. If you don't have a need to go there unarmed,it's highly unlikely you have a need to go there armed.

I avoid physical conflict at all costs, I see no need to bust my knuckles to prove a point when I can pencil whip someone instead.That doesn't mean that if forced I wouldn't protect myself or loved ones by any means necissary.It also doesn't mean If Icame upon an incident of excessive wrong I wouldn't try and stop it; but I wouldcall thepolice first, and if I felt the person(s) were in grave mortal danger (81 year old guy being beaten by a group of thugs) Imay step in and try to stop what's going on depending on other factors. However it is not my job nor my obligation to do so. In short, I'm not itching to draw and fire.

The places I carry are places in the state that I'm relatively familar with. I do carryfor many reasons, part defensive, part socialexperiment, part political activism. So in that sense it does make me bolder because I am doing it to see what happens, but only in what I consider relatively safe environments. We've seen over the last few weeks what can happen even in relatively safe environments, and I'm willing to accept the risk and responsibility for that.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Gun or not, you should not go any place where you feel so unfomfortable that you are constantly consumating the relationship between your finger and your trigger... if you catch my drift.

Bad "ghetto" area of town: don't go there

Dive bar that is known to have fights: don't go there

You get the idea. It's called "street smarts."

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Since I prefer to be armed, I won't usually go to places that don't allow me to be armed. DC, Chicago, and Mexico come to mind as places I wouldn't like to visit without being armed.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My thoughts on this align most closely with those of molonlabetn. Of all the bad things that could happen if you go unarmed into a dangerous place/situation, I think it would be much worse for all involved if one were to go there armed and expecting trouble. Since I've started carrying a gun I've turned into a real sissy boy. ;)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
PaulG wrote:

openryan.....I just have to ask about your avatar....is that a new holster for your "weapon":cool:
Heh, yes, my avatar is my girlfriend, I change it up every once in a while---not too hard on the eyes is it? :)

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
PaulG wrote:

Heh, yes, my avatar is my girlfriend, I change it up every once in a while---not too hard on the eyes is it? :)
NOOOoooo not hard on the eys at all......very nice in fact!.....:D

automan

imported post

preacher wrote:
Basically, you are asking if carry makes you bolder?

I stay out of these areas, personally due to the possibility of an incident. Carry does not embolden me.

I would wait until the 'safer' area.
Ditto!!! Better safe than sorry. If I have a choice, I avoid the bad areas. That's what we pay LEOs to do.