• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you go somewhere you would't?

kparker

imported post

I'm sure I'm borrowing this from someone famous, I just can't remember who:

Your handgun is not to get you into situations you wouldn't get into if you didn't have it, it's to get you out of situations you couldn't get out of if you didn't have it.

lima

imported post

No!

If I wouldn't go there without a gun, I'm CERTAINLY not going there with one.

tapper95

imported post

This is one of the major points Massad Ayoob discusses in his book "In the Gravest Extreme"...

When I hear someone talking about wanting to carry a gun, my first suggestion is to read this book. When I got my CHP in Portsmouth, VA they give you an NRA gun safety pamphlet... which is funny, because you already had to prove you knew this stuff to get the permit... They would be better served bygiving copies of this book...

Back to the topic: Carrying a gun means you have a responsibility to the rest of society to keep them safe... by not getting into situations that force you to use your gun... People that feel invincible or stronger because they carry a gun either have not thought about the subject enough or they may just be sociopaths...

The weight of my gun makes me feel more prepared, but more importantly it makes meremain more alert... Condition Orange...

FogRider

imported post

The question was rephrased as "does carrying make you bolder". Well, no, bet I am pretty damn bold anyway. How does that song go, "Old enought to know better, to young to care"? I live in Aurora, CO, so there are definatly some rough areas to go to. I dont go there because, well, I dont. No reason for me to be walking through the ghetto at 2am, there is nothing there for me. Dive bars, etc.? I dont find it very responsible to carry in them. So I guess this was a long post to say the question doesnt realy apply to me.

Kevin108

imported post

The short answer is no. If it's not a good idea to go there it doesn't matter what you bring with you - a gun, a blanket, or a BBQ sandwich - you shouldn't go there!

Jason Rogers

imported post

I think you are only talking about bad parts of town.If that is the case then no I would not go some where with a gun that I would avoid if I where unarmed. However, I would go to the wilderness with a gun and not without. Going to the bad part of town because you have a gun is like looking for trouble. Going into a isolated wilderness without a gun is asking for trouble.- Jay

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As a matter of fact there are places that I would go without a sidearm that I do not go with one.

In my opinion the heaviest weight you can ever carry is two pounds of steel in a hip holster. The power to take life is an enormous responsibility, and it should never be taken up lightly.

In short, when you carry you have more of a responsibility to avoid conflict than you would otherwise. This includes deciding if it is wise to go certain places.

Regards