• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first and last open carry story

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Sounds like you handled it very well Echo the only thing I wouldn't have done is tell him I had a permit from the state to carry that makes it sound as if guns are a privilege not a right.

echo6tango

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Which is why I prefer the solid stream of OC versus the fog. Have gotten in the blast pattern of fog before during a scuffle. Not fun.
It sure cleared up my sinuses pretty quick though ;)

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Sounds like you handled it very well Echo the only thing I wouldn't have done is tell him I had a permit from the state to carry that makes it sound as if guns are a privilege not a right.
Thank you. For some reason, I thought telling him that would diffuse the situation and he'd be like, "Oh, okay, I suppose it's cool then." I will not be offering information in the future. As soon as it appears that someone not educated with the law has an issue and they're willing to try and make a case out of it, I'll simply call the police...FIRST. Maybe then it can turn positive and become a joint citizen-officer education seminar.

bohdi

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Next time tell them you're protecting your dogs from Michael Vick.

hhhhaaaaahhhaaaaahhhhhhaaaahhhhhaaaa roltlmao:lol::lol::lol:

if he's found guilty they need to turn him over to his own dogs for "justice". i know he can run fast but not that fast.
THey ought to let ALL of them loose on him at an indoor stadium, you know, like the Falcons stadium. Start Vick off on the goal line, and all the dogs he had locked up at the end of the end zone. Now that would be sporting.

zoom6zoom

imported post

bohdi wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Next time tell them you're protecting your dogs from Michael Vick.

hhhhaaaaahhhaaaaahhhhhhaaaahhhhhaaaa roltlmao:lol::lol::lol:

if he's found guilty they need to turn him over to his own dogs for "justice". i know he can run fast but not that fast.
THey ought to let ALL of them loose on him at an indoor stadium, you know, like the Falcons stadium. Start Vick off on the goal line, and all the dogs he had locked up at the end of the end zone. Now that would be sporting.
Make it a Pay Per View event and you'll have all of the animal shelters in the country funded for a while...

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey E6T - Welcome to OCDO...and you're always Welcome in the Commonwealth of Virginia :celebrate.

As for Vick. Have him start at his 10 yard line and tell him to run. Keep the dogs behind him on "his" goal line. When he gets to the 40, "Release the Hounds". The crowd goes wild, betting on at what yard line the dogs'll catch him. Makes it a sporting event, then!

They actually used to do this at RFK during Redskins half-time, when the DC police would put on their K-9 show.The BG is haulin' a$$ down the field, crosses the 50 the handler releases the K-9. Now BGis getting close to scoring, but the K-9 came through to save the dayusually by the 20 yard line. The crowd made the event even more exciting, especially when the dog wins.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
I had two experiences in my neighboorhood after I started to open carry.

1.) Walking the dogs. Lady who just moved i up the street from me stops me and says: "Are you a a police officer?" I say "Do I look like a police officer?" (I have much longer hair now now that I am out of the service).

Her: "Then why are you carrying a gun?"
Me: "To protect myself."
Her: "Well, I don't think you should be able to do that."
Me: "Lucky for me, how you FEEL has no bearing on me protecting myself. Let me guess, you just moved to VA from MD."
Her "How did you know?"
Me: "Lucky guess." :banghead:

2.) Walking the dogs. Pass by neighbor unpacking his work truck.

Him: "Hey, what do you plan on doing with that gun, you planning shooting someone?"
Me: " Do you have car insurance?"
Him: "What?"
Me: " Do you have car insurance?"
Him: "Of course I do!"
Me: "So, are you planning on crashing into someone?"
Him: "No."
Me: "But, if you do, you have it, right?"
Him: "Sure."
Me: "Same with me."
Him: " Oh....."

It seems to me that your dogs are attracting the wrong kind of people. Shame really, I like almost every dog I ever met. Wish I could say the same for people.:lol:

Regards

I think it was Mark Twain who once said: "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

automan

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Wow, that's a shame.

I've learned to try to see things from other's perspective and give them the benefit of the doubt first. We all know how emotions can cloud reason. Maybe he or a close friend or relative was recently involved in a shooting?

Some people's gut reaction is to blame anything involved in a traumatic experience (like cars with a car wreck, etc.). Who knows what his deal was! But it sounds like you handled it very well.

One never knows what is going on in another person's head and stories like this certainly reveal that!

I'm glad it hasn't changed your mind about openly carrying. Hopefully your soon coming next experience will be much better! :)
To add my $.02 worth, I don't think its anybody's business whether or not you are carrying a holstered weapon. If they have a problem with it, too bad.

echo6tango

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Hey E6T - Welcome to OCDO...and you're always Welcome in the Commonwealth of Virginia :celebrate.
I appreciate it. The wife and I are in the process of planning a permanent move from MD to VA, hopefully before the end of the year. I can't freaking wait!

ChinChin

imported post

I would have asked if he was a Commonwealth legislator? When he said no. . .told him until he was and had the ability to change commonwealth law which allows me to carry the gun, he could kiss my ass and take his additude to France where they think just like him.

ParaWarthog

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
Heck, [my son] knows more about MD and VA gun laws than many people I personally know. When traveling back into MD from VA, he has never once failed to remind me when it's time to lock up my pistol before the border. One time when he and I were shopping for a new truck in Northern VA, we were driving and he spotted a sign that said something like the D.C. line was two miles ahead. He looked at me when he saw this (before me) and said it was time to turn around. He knows that simply locking up the gun will not fly in D.C. That kid is gonna be a great defender of rights one day:lol:

Sounds like this bright young guy will be part of the next generation of OCDO posters! You've done a great job educating him, and I bet he won't be yelling at a citizen for lawful activity.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have to believe, at least I hope to believe, that your antagonizer was not a native Virginian. It's embarassing to those of use who are to have something like that in our mist and then to find out, it's got roots in our soil.

As for your move to Virginia, welcome aboard when you make the trip! You sound as though you would be a good addition to our populous. Have to admit, the area around the bay in Maryland hold fond memories from my youth. In particular, Shady Side.

echo6tango

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I have to believe, at least I hope to believe, that your antagonizer was not a native Virginian. It's embarassing to those of use who are to have something like that in our mist and then to find out, it's got roots in our soil.

As for your move to Virginia, welcome aboard when you make the trip! You sound as though you would be a good addition to our populous. Have to admit, the area around the bay in Maryland hold fond memories from my youth. In particular, Shady Side.

You know, I've thought about this...and maybe, since the I-95 exit that we stopped at is probably frequented by many North-South bound driving travelers; this guy could have been from anywhere up or down the coast I suppose. Maybe he was from another state and completely ignorant of VA law. If from out of state, on vacation, and traveling with his family to or from a destination, I would not think that he'd be verbally assaulting someone (obviously) with the means for self defense. Maybe he’s from a state not covered by the U.S. Constitution (ah, maybe even Canada!). I still believe this guy was seeing how far he could push the issue and make a scene for spectators in the process. He was absolutely not a representation of Virginians…I can say that because I was born and raised in Hampton Roads.

As far as MD is concerned, I am glad you have fond memories. This is an awesome State with awesome countryside, scenic drives,great wetlands, and a super history. There are still a few places in this State that are incredibly nice and inviting…the Eastern Shore for one. Unfortunately for all those nice places, they still fall under the power of the mislead State legislatures (not all the MD legislators I must admit) mentality that an UNARMED society is a polite society. Luckily there are some great folks here fighting the good fight and not willing to leave until things (laws) get better….http://www.marylandshallissue.org for one. I just hope there are enough law abiding citizens still her (or alive) to welcome those later days. Even after my family moves to VA, I will still contribute to the cause in MD.

echo6tango

imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
echo6tango wrote:
Heck, [my son] knows more about MD and VA gun laws than many people I personally know. When traveling back into MD from VA, he has never once failed to remind me when it's time to lock up my pistol before the border. One time when he and I were shopping for a new truck in Northern VA, we were driving and he spotted a sign that said something like the D.C. line was two miles ahead. He looked at me when he saw this (before me) and said it was time to turn around. He knows that simply locking up the gun will not fly in D.C. That kid is gonna be a great defender of rights one day:lol:

Sounds like this bright young guy will be part of the next generation of OCDO posters! You've done a great job educating him, and I bet he won't be yelling at a citizen for lawful activity.
Thank you. He's also a fantastic shooter. He's on the range nearly as much as I am...since he was 6-years-old. Just this year I purchased a Ruger Mark III .22 pistol so he would have more fun one the range. It wasn't fair for dad to expect him to deal with the recoil of my 92FS all the time. The first time we took the Ruger to a local range, he put over 200 rounds through the thing and wanted more. He was accurate (a 2-inch group at 50 yards) with my M4 the first time I put him on it at an outdoor range. I would like to take credit, but I think he was born with a shooter's eye :lol:

echo6tango

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Echo6tango

Welcome and C'mon down -- Good bunch of folks down here.

DC
Thank you. In my mind, I already live in VA :D

ChinChin wrote:
I would have asked if he was a Commonwealth legislator? When he said no. . .told him until he was and had the ability to change commonwealth law which allows me to carry the gun, he could kiss my ass and take his additude to France where they think just like him.
I may have tried that, but this guy would probably have flipped out if I claimed the sky were blue and water was wet. Some people you just can't reach...

AbNo

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
So, has anyone had an experience like this, being confronted by someone that you could not logically argue with and not legally drop on the floor?

BigGlock wrote:
Idiots like this one yelling in a Wendy's could become violent. The man is obviously crazy and an OCer might want an easy way to subdue the irate man until the cops arrive. What if he continues yelling, pushes you, or even tries to hit you - maybe just acting like a tough guy seeing if you'll pull the gun out.

Yeah, see.... ("Skulker" specifically)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3476.html

And, because I don't feel like double-posting....
paramedic70002 wrote:
Pick up the phone right there and then, call 911, advise that you are armed and there is a mentally unstable man harassing you?

I don't know about leading off that you are armed, but this might be a very good idea...

Chopper Dad

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
For some reason, I thought telling him that would diffuse the situation and he'd be like, "Oh, okay, I suppose it's cool then." I will not be offering information in the future.
Hi e6t-

I'm not about to second-guess you or suggest what you should or should not have said; in a situation like that, we're invariably caught by surprise and at something of a loss for how to best handle the situation. Maybe after the 7th or 8th time... but not the first.

Nevertheless, I've often thought about what I'd say in a similar situation, or if simply asked if I was LE, and I keep coming back to therealization that I'm under no obligation to say anything whatsoever. Or, if I reallyfeel that I must respond in some way, perhaps a response along the lines of "Sir, I'm not at liberty to discuss what I do for a living". Providing information of any sort invariably provides the antagonist with additional data by which he can continue his assault. Saying less... or nothing at all... seems to me one of the better ways to avoid worsening an already unpleasant situation.

Obviously, being askedby LE if I, too, am LE presents a different scenario.

Good luck and welcome!
CD