• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kaine backs GOP on fees for bad drivers

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/METRO/107200073/1001

RICHMOND — A bipartisan coalition led by Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and top Republicans in the General Assembly yesterday refused to bow to public pressure to repeal new fees against bad drivers that have drawn statewide criticism.

"All of us standing here have heard folks loud and clear. They have concerns," Mr. Kaine said yesterday during a press conference outside the state capitol.

"The appropriate thing for us to do now is to closely monitor the ways these fees are implemented and continue to work with our partners in the legislative and judicial branches of government to see if there might be ways that we can improve it," Mr. Kaine said.

The fees were tucked into a multibillion-dollar transportation package that Mr. Kaine, a Democrat, and the Republican-controlled General Assembly approved earlier this year. The plan has come under fire in recent weeks, with voters and some Republican lawmakers demanding Mr. Kaine call the General Assembly into special session to repeal or amend the law.

Mr. Kaine, with the support of Republican leaders, has refused to call a special session, saying the right thing to do now is watch how the new law pans out over the coming months and consider revisions when the General Assembly convenes in January.

Officials yesterday said they were trying to dispel fears and "mischaracterizations" of the law, saying it only applies to those with a "chronic record of dangerous driving" who should "pay for their reckless behavior."

"This has been a storm that I don't think anybody anticipated," said House Speaker William J. Howell, Stafford County Republican.

"Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Mr. Howell said. "As Governor Kaine has said, the dangerous behavior of unsafe drivers threatens the safety of other drivers and causes accidents that create congestion. Those drivers should be financially accountable for their actions."

Under the plan, drivers who rack up eight demerit points or more are charged annual fines, and those convicted of offenses such as reckless or drunken driving get hit with "civil remedial fees" that range from $700 to $3,000.

Opponents, including James Kadison of the National Motorists Association, say the fees will put low-income drivers into "debtors prisons." In 2004, there were 72,000 reckless-driving convictions, Mr. Kadison said.

Bryan Ault, a 28-year-old software engineer from Alexandria, has collected nearly 140,000 signatures in an online petition protesting the fees, which are expected to raise $65 million annually.

Among the major complaints are the fees apply only to Virginia residents and that some infractions are not for abusive behavior, including a first-time offense for driving over 80 mph on an interstate, which carries a $350 annual fee for three years.

"There might be another way to do it," Mr. Kaine said yesterday.

The event marked the first time a Democratic governor has accepted a Republican invitation to a press conference since the first week of former Gov. Mark Warner's administration in 2001, according to Republicans.

Now it appears the fees could become a defining campaign issue in the Nov. 6 election when all 140 seats in the General Assembly are up for grabs.

State Sen. Jeannemarie A. Devolites Davis, Fairfax County Republican, played a major hand in creating the plan. She said this week that the General Assembly should revisit the issue sooner rather than later.

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Brian J. Moran of Alexandria said yesterday his party is poised to wield the fees against their opponents, despite Mr. Kaine's agreement with Republican leaders.

"As one who is opposed to these abuser fees ever since they were considered, I would encourage my Democratic candidate to oppose them as well," Mr. Moran said.

Mr. Moran supported the transportation package but opposed the fees when they were taken up separately.

Meanwhile, Mr. Kaine, Mr. Howell and Attorney General Bob McDonnell, a Republican, signed on as plaintiffs in the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority's bond-validation suit filed last week in Arlington Circuit Court. The regional authority last week approved seven new taxes and fees expected to raise more than $300 million for regional transportation projects.

The suit asks a judge, who is appointed by the General Assembly, to "consider and affirm the constitutionality of the authority," which the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors plans to challenge.

vrwmiller

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
"Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Mr. Howell said. "As Governor Kaine has said, the dangerous behavior of unsafe drivers threatens the safety of other drivers and causes accidents that create congestion. Those drivers should be financially accountable for their actions."
Just like non-blacks in the mid 1800's didn't have to worry about their second amendment rights being stripped away from them over the next 150+ years?

I am steaming!!! :cuss:

:banghead:

vrwmiller

imported post

hlh wrote:
They better take care of it or we'll throw out the idiots. But... I'll still vote pro gun first.
I agree. I was talking to my wife after I read this article and told her that I would vote pro gun before I would vote anti-fee.

smccomas

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
hlh wrote:
They better take care of it or we'll throw out the idiots. But... I'll still vote pro gun first.
I agree. I was talking to my wife after I read this article and told her that I would vote pro gun before I would vote anti-fee.
I understand the sentiment but I believe this: if thepoliticians on both sides of theaisle wouldignore the people on these user fees then they will(inthespirit of "bi-partisanship") they would not hesitate towhittle away my second amendment rights.

Bubba Ron

imported post

smccomas wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
hlh wrote:
I understand the sentiment but I believe this: if thepoliticians on both sides of theaisle wouldignore the people on these user fees then they will (inthespirit of "bi-partisanship") not hesitate towhittle away my second amendment rights.
I gotta agree with you smccomas. We, the People, will show them the way OUT :exclaim:.

AbNo

imported post

Playing politics a moment, I really love how the Washington Times tries to put all, or at least MOST of the blame on the Republicans.

That being said, I think it's phone call time.

And letters.

And standing out with signs.

Which reminds me, I need to call the H'burg Republican office and ask them WTF they are doing.

SFDoc

imported post

I’m hoping that at least one of those elected clowns are among the first to get nailed. If and when that happens, I’ll be willing to bet that the law will change real fast.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO229 says that cops don't like this law, think it's too harsh. Perhaps that means it won't be enforced very vigorously. Of course, if any LEOs are reading this: You may be able to help out by doing what the last poster suggested and enforcing this against the members of the legislature...

cpugrud

imported post

State Sen. Jeannemarie A. Devolites Davis, Fairfax County Republican, played a major hand in creating the plan

If I'm not mistaken, Devolites Davis is an ardent opponent of the 2nd amendment. Considering the steady leftward tilt of Farifax county maybe we need to seek out and actively support a pro-gun candidate running on the democrat ticket. A few thousand ardent pro-gun folks should be able to move the election to the other side and at least get us a candidate who is supportive of gun rights and very appreciative of our support.

I can hold my nose and vote for that.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I gotta agree with you smccomas. We, the People, will show them the way OUT
Kaine is fortunate in that he's not standing reelection this year.

Sad commentary on the issue: By November, the outcry will have died down.....

My delegate (Amundson) and senator (Puller) both voted for the bill. At least Puller told us, after it passed, she held her nose and voted for it, but she did not explain what it would mean to those of us who are Virginia drivers.

I'm still incensed they didn't explain the impact of the bill until after primaries. I think an honest, ethical legislator (wait, legislator = politician, therefore honest and ethical can't apply) would have explained what it meant while s/he was touting the "accomplishment" of passing this "landmark" transportation bill.

SFDoc

imported post

After giving this matter some thought (or eating the wrong mushrooms on my pizza) I believe that the reasons this applies to VA drivers only is because our believed dictators know that most of us will not move out of the state or transfer our vehicle registration and drivers license to another state to avoid paying these fees. If this applied to out of state drivers, they would boycott VA and the state would lose tons of tourist dollars

Sadly Tess is right - come November most of the sheep will have forgotten all about it and our lords and masters know it.

AbNo

imported post

SFDoc wrote:
After giving this matter some thought (or eating the wrong mushrooms on my pizza) I believe that the reasons this applies to VA drivers only is because our believed dictators know that most of us will not move out of the state or transfer our vehicle registration and drivers license to another state to avoid paying these fees. If this applied to out of state drivers, they would boycott VA and the state would lose tons of tourist dollars

Sadly Tess is right - come November most of the sheep will have forgotten all about it and our lords and masters know it.

So, don't let them forget?

There's plenty of places to get t-shirts made to wear while voting.

AbNo

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
AbNo wrote:
So, don't let them forget?

There's plenty of places to get t-shirts made to wear while voting.
That's the ticket - we must not let this be forgotten :exclaim:

Well, I know here in the 'burg, Function4Sports makes shirts. I had some printed up for the Protest Warrior Entertainment Forum's OMGWTFBBQ last year.