Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Meijer

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I took a friend of mine shooting yesterday, and of course, I had to buy some ammunition before we headed off to the range.

    I decided to buy my ammunition at Meijer (basically a Walmart for those that don't know). I have bought ammunition at this particular location 3 times previous in the past 2 months. One time with no firearm, the other 2 times with firearm in plain view, I was only asked for ID once, and I was given my ammunition and allowed to carry it through the store as I continued shopping.

    This time was different--I told the young man what I wanted, he took it out of the case, and told me "I will walk this upfront for you to the customer service desk." Dumbfounded, I asked him if the store had recently changed their policy, he replied "No, and that it had always been this way."

    Not wanting to cause further confrontation, I told him that I did not agree with this 'policy' and that I would finish my shopping and pick it up when I was ready.

    I went upto the customer service desk to check out and get my ammunition, the girl did not know what to do, she asked if she could even sell it (the employees should really be more aware, especially if this is their common practice!) She then asked for my ID, again... so I produced it.

    I inquired to her and her superior about the 'policy' and told them that I see their concern, but just walking the ammunition to the front counter, does not make one bit of difference in making anyone safer, the best they could do is walk it to the car. I also told them they I was a permit holder, and I stated some of the information on the "no guns = no money cards" to convey my point about being a safe individual. (I had to buy the ammo unfortunately, the range over charges and I was in a rush, but never again!)

    I also told her that if I had wanted the ammo to do harm that 1) I would not have waited for someone to get it for me or 2) I would have brought my own.

    I clearly told them that I was not angry with them, but with their policy, and that they really needed to be more consistent in applying it.

    Everyone agree with my points that by me having a license they know I am safer than any other individual walking the store... hopefully they change something.

    I will be writing a letter...



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, ,
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    It's cheaper at Walmart anyway.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Have you given us the full information? I ask because there was no stated reason for walking it to the front counter.

    The first thought that pops to my mind is a possible store policy on making sure they only sell ammo to individuals old enough. I imagine the store can lose its license as a distributor just as fast as a gun store if they sell below age.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Have you given us the full information? I ask because there was no stated reason for walking it to the front counter.

    The first thought that pops to my mind is a possible store policy on making sure they only sell ammo to individuals old enough. I imagine the store can lose its license as a distributor just as fast as a gun store if they sell below age.
    They never gave me any reason as to why they walked it up to the customer service desk. And I cannot see the reason being because of age because of a couple reasons.

    1) The initial clerk who opened the case and got my ammunition asked me for my ID before even opening the case.

    2) There was a cash register station for sporting goods no more than 5 feet away, I could literally touch the case and the register at the same time.



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    I don't understand the big deal. They made you walk to a service desk, whoo. You still got your ammo,right? They don't know the policies,and people chose to enforce them differently? This is a surprise,how? Most retails kids don't care too much about themselves,much less their jobs. Even more,places like that, even the managers don't care too much. So you can't blame the 'kid' for being put in a non-condusive environment. That being said. They didn't call the police on you. They didn't hassle you for 30 minutes saying guns are bad. You got your ammo? Whats the big deal? I say pick your battles. If everything little thing you make this huge deal out of,they are just going to think you are a hell raiser?

    A walk to the service desk is NOT a big deal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Well...,I can see openryan's opinion. They are treating US ( Gunowners) as we are Freaks and a Threat.

    How about If somebody picks up products in a store that could be potentially leathal/Fatal...BEER.

    -"Well,Sir I have to walk that to the counter cuz it's just policy" -" U got Permit for that Beer?"





  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, ,
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    I disagree. I think *every* little battle is worth fighting, otherwise where do you draw the line? How many intrusions into your business are OK before you say "enough"? Either it's legal to buy ammo or it's not. Either they can sell it without ID or they can't. If they can sell it without ID, then they don't need my ID. Period. I don't get walked to the service desk when I buy Silly Putty or duct tape, why should I for ammo? The only thing walking me to the service desk does is to treat me like a potential criminal. It singles me out as someone likely to cause trouble. Why should I be a pariah, especially when the store itself is the one doing the selling?

    It's the exact same argument used in the gun control debate. "Well, it's just a little database. You have to pick your battles." "It's just a three day wait. You have to pick your battles." "It's just a ban on assault weapons. You have to pick your battles." After awhile, all of those so-called "little" battles add up to a lost war.

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    I don't understand the big deal...
    I didn't see this being made to be a "big deal".
    It's a policy that was questioned because it seems odd/dumb and an answer was not given.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    I don't understand the big deal...
    I didn't see this being made to be a "big deal".
    It's a policy that was questioned because it seems odd/dumb and an answer was not given.
    I was not trying to create something out of nothing. I was voicing my opinion of dissaproval of any sort of consistency within the store regarding the sale of ammo. I have bought 3 times previous, and this series of events never unfolded until this particular time.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Well...,I can see openryan's opinion. They are treating US ( Gunowners) as we are Freaks and a Threat.

    How about If somebody picks up products in a store that could be potentially leathal/Fatal...BEER.

    -"Well,Sir I have to walk that to the counter cuz it's just policy" -" U got Permit for that Beer?"



    beer is lethal...more people get killed by drunk drivers than guns .

    Sorry back on topic

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    I mean that they (the Store) should be EQUALLY worried about somebody buying Beer as a Person would be buying Ammo. Both are to me Equally lethal.Anti's treat Gun owners as vilans because Guys like VA TECH.

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Well at least with beer you won't kill anyone inside the store, unless you get wasted and shoot someone....

    Once you are out of the lot its not their problem anymore... unless you are underage or drunk when you buy it!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern Illinois, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    364

    Post imported post

    Maybe that clerk who wasn't sure if they could sell you ammo couldn't. I'm from Illinois not Indiana but I buy handgun ammo at a local farm store, one time I took it to a register and couldn't buy it at that one because the clerrk wasn't old enough. In the store where I usually buy it they keep it in a locked cage because of a local ordinance, in another Illinois store of theirs its right on a shelf where you can reach it.

  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I don't think this was the case, I have bought ammunition from people that couldn't ring up my alcohol at the same time, this leads be to believe that this is not an ordinance.


  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    161

    Post imported post

    Bought 500 rnds of 22 and 150 Rounds of 9mm at Meijer yesterday, along with a shell holder for the stock of my shotgun and some fish batter mix (just came from fishing). The ammo was walked to the register. I din't ask why as I was having my own problems at the time.

    When I was picking out the batter mix, I sniffed a "New Orleans cajun" style plastic package which, unkown to me, had a hole in the plastic to see how spicy it smelled, unfortunately I squeezed the package at the same time and ended up with a nose full of cajun spices. I really wasn't in the mood for asking any questions with my nose and eyes running all down my shirt. I'm surprised they even sold me the ammo the way I looked.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    This has been many years ago and before I started carrying, but I have a good (or bad depending on how you see it) story about Meijer.

    I was working a second shift job and often stopped at Meijer on my way home to wind down. As I was looking in the sporting goods section there was a nervous character wondering around trying to get some assistance. Since he looked interesting I decided to look around so that I could see what he was doing. When the clerk arrived the guy told the employee that he needed some ammo. The employee went to get a key (since it was 11:30 at night and the regular people were not there) and quickly came back. He asked the customer what type of ammo did he need, and the response is what made me get my permit and begin to carry.

    The guy pulls out a large Glock and drops it on the counter and says "whatever fits in this"!

    Needless to say I was out of there, but I did see the guy leaving with a bag so I am assuming that they figured it out and sold him the ammo!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •