• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

costco policy

sccrref

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Well, in the quote of my post, it has the words "Do Not Patronize". If you click that, it is a link to the thread that I started for WASHINGTON State that has all the lists. There is not, as far as I am aware, a national list on Opencarry.org. I am simply maintaining the local state lists.
Thank you for the clarification.

sccrref

imported post

unrequited wrote:
sccrref wrote:
I was informed that they prefer customers to open carry as long as they have a permit as they want to know who has a fire arm in the store.
Interesting... I've never heard of a business or a chain taking this stance.
Not sure if this is the chain's policy or just the way they want it in this particular store. As the answer was the one I was looking for (Okay ot OC) I left it at that and went on about my shopping. Did not really notice any weird looks and did not hear anyone screaming and running from the store in fear.

phoneguy

imported post

Well to day is wen. Aug 8. I will be at Costco shopping. I will be there at about 7:30 pm
I will be armed. They will not even know about it. I have a ccw permit. I always ignore there guns rules anyway. I take my safety very seriously. I don't what to be like that lady that was attacked a few days ago by a class 3 molester. Sounds like Costco really does not care for the safety of there customers. So I will be responsible for my safety! That's why I carry and no one knows. I always carry a lot of fire power. For my protection and my family and friends. So Cosco try and find me. Am pissed just ranting. Anyway I got to go to costco see you there.

metricinch

imported post

G27 wrote:
Well let's put it this way. I have never known about Costco's gun control policy and until I am informed in person by an employee of Costco, then I will continue to carry. I have gone to Costco many times open carrying my firearm and I know employees/customers/other misc. people have seen it. Not one time has anyone said anything to me, so until someone does, I will continue to OC my firearm. Luckily in Washington state until they ask me to leave it is not tresspassing. So if they ask me to leave, I'll leave my membership card at the counter. My membership to a chain warehouse is replaceable, my life on the other hand, is not.

I was at the 4 AVE S location tonight for a bit over an hour with the GF. I OC'd the whole time. The young couple a few seats down from me at the food court were discussing it amongst themselves and seemed unsure about it, but said nothing. No one actually said anything. No one approached me and asked to conceal or to leave. I even had to re-up the membership and was talking and joking with the lady the whole time. I also asked two employees about product location and had no issues. The guy that ran my checkout had a supervisor title on him name tag, narry a peep. All good in the hood.

The best part of the shopping trip...Mexican Coke by the case. Yummy! Coke with cane sugar and not that HFCS crap.

just_a_car

imported post

metricinch wrote:
The best part of the shopping trip...Mexican Coke by the case. Yummy! Coke with cane sugar and not that HFCS crap.
Nice! Yano, Canadian Coke is the same way with the Cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup (just in case anyone didn't know the acronym;)).

I really wished they didn't have the company-wide anti-gun policy, as it seems many of the individual stores employees don't have an issue with it. I'd love to be able to take them off the DO NOT PATRONIZE list, as I really like shopping there, but they have to change the written policy first. :?

gregma

imported post

phone guy wrote:
I always ignore there guns rules anyway.
I'm sorry, but I just do not get this attitude... You expect everyone to respect your rights, but you just state that you could give a rats behind about their rights... Those of us who want respect for our rights should be the first to respect the rights of others. If someone does not want a firearm on their private property, then go somewhere else!!:cuss: There are plenty of places to spend your money.

phoneguy

imported post

gregma wrote:
phone guy wrote:
I always ignore there guns rules anyway.
I'm sorry, but I just do not get this attitude... You expect everyone to respect your rights, but you just state that you could give a rats behind about their rights... Those of us who want respect for our rights should be the first to respect the rights of others. If someone does not want a firearm on their private property, then go somewhere else!!:cuss: There are plenty of places to spend your money.
I do boy cot businesses that have a no gun policy.. But I need my meds at the pharmacy. Also there is no Sam's Club near me. There isn't a no gun sign at the entrance of the Costco I go to. So I just go in any way with my concealed fire arm.
I do not have the "balls" to open carry any where. I open carry when I am camping.
I think is it cool that you guys open carry everyplace that you want to. Its a way of telling the world its OK I am not a bad guy get used to it. But for me I concealed carry because if I need my weapon in a life or death situation the bad guy is surprised. It is my ace card up my sleeve that will give me the winning edge. I don't want this to be a debate on concealed or open carry debate. I feel they both have there purpose

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Use the gun grabbers' tools against them, write law.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm
SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
[ ...]
(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size[emphasis added];
(2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

phoneguy

imported post

Here in Washington state, we don't have legel type signage. Like Texas there signs have to be just so. In this state if you go into a shopping mall that says no guns. They can only ask you to leave. If they want to be jerks and call the police, the police will come and ask for your CCW. They will not arrest you. They will say the owner whats you to leave if you have a fire arm. So you leave.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"Use the gun grabbers' tools against them, write law."

Even if a sign is posted in our state, it is not trespass until they ask you to leave and you fail to comply. If we were to get something like this written into law, it would probably only come at the expense of our current freedom to carry concealed until asked to leave- in other words, it would come at the expense of explicitly making it illegal; to carry concealed where posted, most likely. This would be a net negative.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hmm. Sso you think that Costco posts these three feet by four feet signs at all their doors in South Carolina? The Charleston location has four customer access roll-up doors plus the shipping bays. This anti-gun signage is bigger and brighter than their advertising.

They're too chicken to lose the custom. And tresspass law is fairly consistent across jurisdictions.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Adamdude04

imported post

I have a buddy on another forum I'm a member of, who manages costco, so I sent him a quick email regarding the policy on OC at costco, figure I'd go straight to the source and get a TRUTH answer, instead of one maybe someone from corp. would beat around the bush with, tell you that you cant, just becasue they are anti gun..

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:
I have a buddy on another forum I'm a member of, who manages costco, so I sent him a quick email regarding the policy on OC at costco, figure I'd go straight to the source and get a TRUTH answer, instead of one maybe someone from corp. would beat around the bush with, tell you that you cant, just becasue they are anti gun..
Here in Salt Lake City I've OCed in 3 different Costco's INFRONT of Management. 1 of the Costco's is the New one by Valley Fair Mall in Wesy Valley City, just a few 100 yards from the Courthouse and the Police Station:celebrate

Adamdude04

imported post

My buddy got back to me and this is what he said:

I have not seen a written rule. However, we have seen a coupla guys overtly carrying and it makes us nervouse as well as members... It costs $50 a year for a membership so a single guy like you would not see the savings (return on the $50 investment) Now, if you are gonna buy a high ticket item say a plasma or such you could save twice that in that one purchase alone.. Advice.. Unless you have a reason to carry overtly dont take chance at them giving u a hard time. just conceal bro!

just_a_car

imported post

Adamdude04 wrote:

I have not seen a written rule. However, we have seen a coupla guys overtly carrying and it makes us nervouse as well as members... It costs $50 a year for a membership so a single guy like you would not see the savings (return on the $50 investment) Now, if you are gonna buy a high ticket item say a plasma or such you could save twice that in that one purchase alone.. Advice.. Unless you have a reason to carry overtly dont take chance at them giving u a hard time. just conceal bro!
Good advice if you're looking to lose your right to OC by not using it.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Adamdude04 wrote:

Good advice if you're looking to lose your right to OC by not using it.
That's WHY I OC EVERYTIME I'm @ Costco :celebrate:celebrate

Adamdude04

imported post

I open carry EVERYWHERE I go. Usualy, and I tell my buddy this, is ask the person "If I was in uniform, would you be threatend by me having my firearm exposed?" ..which is a pshycological way to not only make whoever think you're an LEO, but also protecting yourself, because it's a simple quesiton, IF I WAS IN UNIFORM..hell maybe tomorrow I'll join the police academy and get into a uniform. I ask that simple question, and they get the hint, and nothing more said or done. Works every time for myself and my buddy..then if you want to, you can teach them the OC laws for your state. It's a great way I find, to calm everyone down, and prevent any further actions

TRAKATAK

imported post

Greetings from Iraq. While I am away from home, I continue to keep up with the events in Washington on the forum here.

I was recently home for my mid-tour leave (I got to see my first son born!) and read about this Costco deal. I decided that I would write them as well. Here is what I wrote and their response.

To whom it may concern,

I was just recently made aware of a policy that exists in your stores that no firearms are to be brought onto the premises. It truly saddens me that such a policy exists. I understand it is your right as a private business to establish rules that you feel are in the best interest of your customers, however I feel that this rule has the complete opposite effect of what your company may think it has.

For those of us who chose to carry concealed, we must obtain a license issued by the state we reside in. Here in Washington State, in order to qualify for this permit you must be over the age of 21, pass a NICS background check, and have NEVER been convicted of a felony. What can you tell me about all the other customers in your store at any given time?

For those of us who chose to openly carry a firearm, most of us already have a concealed carry permit anyway, since it is required in this state when in a vehicle with a loaded firearm.We chose to openly carry for various reasons. I personally prefer to openly carry for the huge deterrent effect that a firearm has. It has been proven in many studies that criminals have confessed they would have been less likely to commit crime if they knew that an individual was armed, or even if they thought an individual MIGHT be armed. So why do you continue to ban the carrying of firearms into your stores? Do you really believe that anyone who intends to do harm cares for even one second what rules you may have in place anyway? This is why historically mass murders have occurred in “Gun Free Zones”. Those who commit these crimes know that when they go to these “Gun Free Zones” there will be nobody to shoot back at them.

As a Costco member for 5 years, I hope that one day you will change your policy and welcome my business again. In the meantime, I cannot support a company that chooses to unnecessarily place it'scustomers at risk.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Michael Spalsbury

And here was their response. A little better than the previously shown response.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Yoursuggestion has been forwarded to ourcorporate office for their review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Thank you,

Nicole
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

Just thought you guys might find that interesting. One response said "Oh well." My response says "We'll think about it." At least it's going somewhere. I encourage everyone else to write in regards to the issue as well.