• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

costco policy

Gray2Hairs

imported post

This is the message Costco sent me after being asked to not carry in costoc. Oh well.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.
In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that we don't want you. It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Susan
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

swift

imported post

That is such gobbly gook. If you get a chance, ask her how disarming the good guys makes everyone more safe. What study shows that to be true? The only known evidence we have is what happens when the good guys are disarmed & the bad guys are not. Look at Columbine, look at VT. Good guys disarmed by no gun policy, bad guy ignores no gun policy - what bad guy is going to walk into a store with bad intentions, see the no guns sign, and walk back out?

If Cosco is going to disarm it's shopping victims, then it has a responsibility to place armed guards protecting the helpless sheep within its doors, as well as in the parking lots where people are forced to leave their guns in their cars while they walk with no defense into & out of the store.

Gray2Hairs

imported post

This is my reply to Susan:

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply.I am confused however, as to how keeping honest people from posessing the means to protect themselves is making things safer.While I will certainly abide by your rules and will no longer be armed in costco, anyone who is likely to do something bad just as certainly will not abide by your rule.

Just as every single mass shooting has happened in a gun-free zone, Costco now is being added to the list of potential shooting galeries for bad guys by banning guns.

I wish you and your company luck as you guarantee that noone can be in your stores to protect themselves and others.Since you cannot guarantee your patrons safety I truely hope nothing ever happens in your stores.

Stay safe.

Ken

G27

imported post

Tacoma Mall Shooting, anyone? I bet they felt safe in their no gun zone! Honestly, how does stripping law abidding citizens create a safer enviroment? I guess if one of those automated check out lanes really pissed you off you might put a few holes in it, but that's just reckless discharge of a firearm! :lol: If Costco has a no gun policy, I'll just CC it. I think that is great compromise. That way I'm not "intimidating" their other guests, but if something were to go down. Also notice throughout her reply, she never says you'll be asked to leave or kicked out? She just says that guns aren't allowed. Rules are meant to be broken!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

G27 wrote:
Tacoma Mall Shooting, anyone? I bet they felt safe in their no gun zone! Honestly, how does stripping law abidding citizens create a safer enviroment? I guess if one of those automated check out lanes really pissed you off you might put a few holes in it, but that's just reckless discharge of a firearm! :lol: If Costco has a no gun policy, I'll just CC it. I think that is great compromise. That way I'm not "intimidating" their other guests, but if something were to go down. Also notice throughout her reply, she never says you'll be asked to leave or kicked out? She just says that guns aren't allowed. Rules are meant to be broken!
I agree with half your post. After the smile though, I have to disagree.

Rules are not meant to be broken. Costco has the right to create rules for shopping in their store, whether the rules are bad or good does not matter. It is private property, and I doubt you would welcome someone on your property if you told them guns were not allowed at your home.

I don't like their policy, I don't agree with the policy, so I will not shop there. State your position, if they still refuse to allow you to carry, shop somewhere else. If you truly believe in something, you will be willing to make sacrifices to stand for what you believe. Even if it means being inconvenienced and having to shop elsewhere.

Why give good gun carrying America a black eye by being belligerent? We all stand for something much bigger and important than our own personal egos.

That's my thoughts on this...

G27

imported post

Well let's put it this way. I have never known about Costco's gun control policy and until I am informed in person by an employee of Costco, then I will continue to carry. I have gone to Costco many times open carrying my firearm and I know employees/customers/other misc. people have seen it. Not one time has anyone said anything to me, so until someone does, I will continue to OC my firearm. Luckily in Washington state until they ask me to leave it is not tresspassing. So if they ask me to leave, I'll leave my membership card at the counter. My membership to a chain warehouse is replaceable, my life on the other hand, is not.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I never renewed my costco membership (it was up for renewal last month or so) although I have not had any bad experiences YET when I did OC.

However a new Costco is coming up about 5 min away from our house and I know that my wife WILL have go there.:X

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I never renewed my costco membership (it was up for renewal last month or so) although I have not had any bad experiences YET when I did OC.

However a new Costco is coming up about 5 min away from our house and I know that my wife WILL have go there.:X

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I watched a bunch of the videos and they are Hilarious. I was LMAO cuz they are not Anti, just turning anti's arguments into sarcasm

swift

imported post

It is interesting that we are discussing safety at Costco on the very weekend that a level 3 sex offender snuck into a womans car in a Tukwila, WA Costco parking lot while she was returning her shopping cart. Believe it or not, the Sex offender did unwittingly obey Costco's no gun policy because he "only" had a knife.

Doesn't it make you feel safe that Costco won't allow anyone to defend themself while shopping at the Costco store or walking through the Costco parking lot? Isn't the Costco no gun policy supposed to make us "feel" more safe?

See full story here:

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2_072007_NWsexoffscream.94239bd7.html

or video news story @:

http://www.nwcn.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/showVideo.php?vidId=160485
Code:

SIGguy229

imported post

Translation: "we want your money, not your guns"

Hmmm....don't remember carrying to "enhance the shopping experience"--just to protect me and mine. but I guess when the sheep go BAAA, COSTCO will herd them into their "safe" stores.

DrewGunner

imported post

swift wrote:
It is interesting that we are discussing safety at Costco on the very weekend that a level 3 sex offender snuck into a womans car in a Tukwila, WA Costco parking lot while she was returning her shopping cart. Believe it or not, the Sex offender did unwittingly obey Costco's no gun policy because he "only" had a knife.

Doesn't it make you feel safe that Costco won't allow anyone to defend themself while shopping at the Costco store or walking through the Costco parking lot? Isn't the Costco no gun policy supposed to make us "feel" more safe?

But if she was OC'ing she might have made someone feel uncomfortable...

sccrref

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As much as I hate to do it, Costco has been added to our Do Not Patronize list.

I will be watching this thread in the hopes that you get a favorable response.
I know that I am dense, but where on the board can I view the Do Not Patronize list and the Watch List. So far my feeble attempts to find them have resulted in disappointment

sccrref

imported post

Recently went to the local Sam's club in Virginia Beach and inquired as to what their policy on fire arms was. I was informed that they prefer customers to open carry as long as they have a permit as they want to know who has a fire arm in the store. I informed them that a permit was not required to open carry in VA, it was only required to CC, thank you very much for the response and I will continue to do business with your store.

just_a_car

imported post

sccrref wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
As much as I hate to do it, Costco has been added to our Do Not Patronize list.

I will be watching this thread in the hopes that you get a favorable response.
I know that I am dense, but where on the board can I view the Do Not Patronize list and the Watch List. So far my feeble attempts to find them have resulted in disappointment
Well, in the quote of my post, it has the words "Do Not Patronize". If you click that, it is a link to the thread that I started for WASHINGTON State that has all the lists. There is not, as far as I am aware, a national list on Opencarry.org. I am simply maintaining the local state lists.