Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amusing LE (non) encounter

Post imported post

Had an amusing LE (non) encounter in the Target store in Chandler today.Droppedmy wife and baby off at the front of the store, parked the truck, andentered the store.I walk pasta neatly dressed Target Security (hardly) Guywho was heavily armed with a radio and a small can of pepper spray at best. He makes eye contact with me then looks down to my belt. He immediately looks away butcontinues to watchme out of the corner of his eye. (verysteathly fellow!)We shop for about a half hour. I had the strangest feeling that I was being watched but could not indentify by who or from where. We grabsome diapers and wipesand proceed to the checkouts. As I'm standing in line to checkout, I can see a Chandler PD cruiser parkedoutside the entrance. (I figure they must have caught a shoplifter or something) Out of the security office walks a Chandler officer. I can see the original Target Security Guy is in the room as well but he decides to remain in the room (I can only guess so as not to get caught in the crossfire?) in case of trouble. (I then realize who was watching and from where) The Chandler officer proceeds to walk over to the cashier at my register and strike up a random conversation with thecashier while I'm beingrung up. (coincidence, I'm sure...maybe they were old college roommates?) I finish paying and leave without a word from anyone. I guess I can't blame the Security guy for keeping clear, for 8 bucks an hour, I wouldn't confront anyone either. Just another normal day of OCing in AZ.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

At least they noticed. And its about as ideal an investigation as one can ask for. No interference of your person. The only thing better would have been if the 911 dispatcher had told the guard to call back if you started doing anything illegal.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Target security is a joke. The one we have here by me, the kid thinks he is the world police, he wears tactical pants, and a vest... and 2 flash lights.

Post imported post

I forgot. He also had a flashlight. (In case a group of armed men storm the building during a power outage). I'm sure he picks up a lot of chicks in that getup.

Post imported post

Citizen.....I have no complaints about the events today other than I wish people with Security related jobs would get some very basic training on the gun lawsof the state that they work in (to prevent wasting taxpayer dollars on non-events).

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
    Citizen.....I have no complaints about the events today other than I wish people with Security related jobs would get some very basic training on the gun lawsof the state that they work in (to prevent wasting taxpayer dollars on non-events).
    I agree. The whole reason many of us OC is to turn perceptions back the other direction.

Although some might argue with me, I consider that one way to short-circuit this a bit is to contact the police.

The Manassas dispatcherwho sent the police in the Tony's incident did a great job of telling the caller that his opinion and her own opinion didn't matter, OC was legal. He kept bugging her until she finally sent someone. http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/Tonys_911.mp3

Imagine how many people would get the word it was legal if when they called the police, the dispatcher patiently asked what the OC'er is doing, told the caller it was legal, "people do OC sometimes, please call back if you see anything indicating a genuine problem," etc. The police would be doing our job for us!

In fact you could knock their socks off by sending a complimentary letter appreciating their professionalism innot interfering with you. Its the last thing they would expect. Don't even ask them about not dispatching. Just let it go at the compliment.After, say, the next "observation" or the third, then suggest the police just not dispatch in the absence of reported dangerous behavior. I'll bet after a few "observations" andmaybe a secondcompliment there is an even chance they'll stop sending somebody without you specifically asking--especially if you compliment the dispatcher and ask that a copy of the letter goes in her/his personnel file, too.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I live in Scottsdale an have to say I to am amazed at the security or people who work there or any store who are ignorant about the laws..Please I walk in with my 7 yr old n wife shop etc. etc.. ..Last I remembered robbers were hiding guns and taking cash not shoping wth there familys...lol

Post imported post

Citizen wrote: ??? This is the first I've heard this 911 recording. This guy claims to have been in the Marine Corps and he is "uncomfortable" be around someone that is carrying a gun? What year did this occur? I did notice the responding officers tone change when they were told the number of persons that were carrying.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'd be freaked out too. I mean... they aren't certified as officers or agents or anything!:what:

Post imported post

Wow. 911 operator handled that one terrifically. "i'm sure the law allows them to do that but..." the "marine" should have just **** at that point.
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

echo6tango wrote:
    Citizen wrote: ??? This is the first I've heard this 911 recording. This guy claims to have been in the Marine Corps and he is "uncomfortable" be around someone that is carrying a gun? What year did this occur? I did notice the responding officers tone change when they were told the number of persons that were carrying.
    Looks like there is quite a bit available here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1658.html

Post imported post

Did the Target security guard have a logo anywhere on his uniform?

Post imported post

I don't think he had a Target logo on his uniform.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Having a "Target" logo on a security uniform would be a BAD IDEA. Get my drift!

State Researcher

Post imported post

The ones around here do, but they're not white & red, they use black on dark gray, so it's barely noticeable.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Armed4Life wrote:

If you come to my state, I can guarantee at least 1 security guard who knows the gun laws.

Progun

Post imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
    Trouble is you don't know where the goof ball come from. We are getting way to many people from Ca,Illinois and the East Coast moving into Arizona. The majority I see are wanting to change are lifestyle. Some proof of that is a Gov from New York. Bet Goldwater is rolling over in his grave

Awhile back I was reading on another forum. I guy in Phoenix wrote the Cops pulled him over in Phoenix for speeding. When they ran the plates they knew he had a CCP. The cop told him outside of the Police only criminals carry guns. He asked the cop where he was from. The Cop told him Chicago.

Getting way to many goofs moving here. Starting to look at the majority of the ones moving here as a bigger threat then the illegals. Need more t hen the Southern Borders Fenced

Post imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
    Armed4Life wrote:

If you come to my state, I can guarantee at least 1 security guard who knows the gun laws.

Progun
    ProguninTN.......I'm sure you know the gun laws of TN through your own diligence and/or interest and not via the training you received from your employer. Fair statement?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
    ProguninTN.......I'm sure you know the gun laws of TN through your own diligence and/or interest and not via the training you received from your employer. Fair statement?
    I'll vouch for that, as a guard that was trained by major firms in both AZ and CA. These companies just don't train their employees well enough. Though, I'm not sure we should expect a guard making $8.00 an hour to get a degree or anything. But, basic knowledge could be condensed into a staff memo that takes 3 minutes to read. Yet, it rarely (if ever) happens.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I have worked in security now for two years in Illinois. I have just recently joined a company doing armed ATM service, but that's beside the point. Guards are trained to report suspicious activity, whether or not they know the laws. I'm sure if he's not seen someone OCing, it would be suspicious to him. Fact is, not a whole lot of states require training for their guards. I guess that's one of the few good things to come out of Illinois. We learn at least some BASIC (read BASIC) law, at least what is applicable to our position (theft both felony and misdemeanor, self defense laws, etc.), and we're required to recertify every three years.

edit: Sorry to revive a dead topic, didn't read the last date until after I posted.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    Target security is a joke. The one we have here by me, the kid thinks he is the world police, he wears tactical pants, and a vest... and 2 flash lights.
    Mall ninja's actualy exist!? :what:

Post imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
    It could very well be the store security to blame but it could also be a store/chain policy on how to handle a MWAG entering the store. Just a thought and something to think about. It probably is the security to blame as I OC in out local Target from time to time and have not had a problem.

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Wow. 911 operator handled that one terrifically. "i'm sure the law allows them to do that but..." the "marine" should have just **** at that point.
    I guess that the Core has gone the way of the other services, " Kinder, gentler ..." This is sad as he has done a disservice to all of those who have gone before.

Post imported post

Sorry as well to revive a dead topic and if this has been commented on already, but if you listen to the Tony's 911 call recording, the caller is clearly NOT "from Virginia." His accent seems to be a New York accent, though it is not 100% clear on the recording. No wonder why he's "not comfortable with it." He should take the time to learn a bit about the customs of his new State -- it's only polite.

(Before you flame me, I am a shamelessly proud Northerner. But fair is fair.)

Post imported post

echo6tango wrote:
    I agree about a Marine being uncomfortable around firearms carriers. He says that he is a retired Marine (not "former"). I never served, but I grew up in a Marine Corps family since I was 8 years old (Step Father was flag officer 28 years in the Corps). And I have had MANY Marine friends, roommates and coworkers. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was a poser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast