• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amusing LE (non) encounter

Armed4Life

imported post

Had an amusing LE (non) encounter in the Target store in Chandler today.Droppedmy wife and baby off at the front of the store, parked the truck, andentered the store.I walk pasta neatly dressed Target Security (hardly) Guy:lol:who was heavily armed with a radio and a small can of pepper spray at best. :uhoh:He makes eye contact with me then looks down to my belt. He immediately looks away butcontinues to watchme out of the corner of his eye. (verysteathly fellow!)We shop for about a half hour. I had the strangest feeling that I was being watched but could not indentify by who or from where. We grabsome diapers and wipesand proceed to the checkouts. As I'm standing in line to checkout, I can see a Chandler PD cruiser parkedoutside the entrance. (I figure they must have caught a shoplifter or something) Out of the security office walks a Chandler officer. I can see the original Target Security Guy is in the room as well but he decides to remain in the room (I can only guess so as not to get caught in the crossfire?) in case of trouble.:banghead: (I then realize who was watching and from where) The Chandler officer proceeds to walk over to the cashier at my register and strike up a random conversation with thecashier while I'm beingrung up. (coincidence, I'm sure...maybe they were old college roommates?) I finish paying and leave without a word from anyone. I guess I can't blame the Security guy for keeping clear, for 8 bucks an hour, I wouldn't confront anyone either. Just another normal day of OCing in AZ.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At least they noticed. And its about as ideal an investigation as one can ask for. No interference of your person. The only thing better would have been if the 911 dispatcher had told the guard to call back if you started doing anything illegal.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Target security is a joke. The one we have here by me, the kid thinks he is the world police, he wears tactical pants, and a vest... and 2 flash lights.

Armed4Life

imported post

I forgot. He also had a flashlight. (In case a group of armed men storm the building during a power outage). I'm sure he picks up a lot of chicks in that getup.

Armed4Life

imported post

Citizen.....I have no complaints about the events today other than I wish people with Security related jobs would get some very basic training on the gun lawsof the state that they work in (to prevent wasting taxpayer dollars on non-events).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
Citizen.....I have no complaints about the events today other than I wish people with Security related jobs would get some very basic training on the gun lawsof the state that they work in (to prevent wasting taxpayer dollars on non-events).

I agree. The whole reason many of us OC is to turn perceptions back the other direction.

Although some might argue with me, I consider that one way to short-circuit this a bit is to contact the police.

The Manassas dispatcherwho sent the police in the Tony's incident did a great job of telling the caller that his opinion and her own opinion didn't matter, OC was legal. He kept bugging her until she finally sent someone. http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/Tonys_911.mp3

Imagine how many people would get the word it was legal if when they called the police, the dispatcher patiently asked what the OC'er is doing, told the caller it was legal, "people do OC sometimes, please call back if you see anything indicating a genuine problem," etc. The police would be doing our job for us!

In fact you could knock their socks off by sending a complimentary letter appreciating their professionalism innot interfering with you. Its the last thing they would expect. Don't even ask them about not dispatching. Just let it go at the compliment.After, say, the next "observation" or the third, then suggest the police just not dispatch in the absence of reported dangerous behavior. I'll bet after a few "observations" andmaybe a secondcompliment there is an even chance they'll stop sending somebody without you specifically asking--especially if you compliment the dispatcher and ask that a copy of the letter goes in her/his personnel file, too.

Ghost

imported post

I live in Scottsdale an have to say I to am amazed at the security or people who work there or any store who are ignorant about the laws..Please I walk in with my 7 yr old n wife shop etc. etc.. ..Last I remembered robbers were hiding guns and taking cash not shoping wth there familys...lol

echo6tango

imported post

Citizen wrote:
??? This is the first I've heard this 911 recording. This guy claims to have been in the Marine Corps and he is "uncomfortable" be around someone that is carrying a gun? What year did this occur? I did notice the responding officers tone change when they were told the number of persons that were carrying.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

echo6tango wrote:
Citizen wrote:
??? This is the first I've heard this 911 recording. This guy claims to have been in the Marine Corps and he is "uncomfortable" be around someone that is carrying a gun? What year did this occur? I did notice the responding officers tone change when they were told the number of persons that were carrying.
Looks like there is quite a bit available here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1658.html

ProguninTN

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:

If you come to my state, I can guarantee at least 1 security guard who knows the gun laws. ;)

Progun

lostone1413

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
Trouble is you don't know where the goof ball come from. We are getting way to many people from Ca,Illinois and the East Coast moving into Arizona. The majority I see are wanting to change are lifestyle. Some proof of that is a Gov from New York. Bet Goldwater is rolling over in his grave

Awhile back I was reading on another forum. I guy in Phoenix wrote the Cops pulled him over in Phoenix for speeding. When they ran the plates they knew he had a CCP. The cop told him outside of the Police only criminals carry guns. He asked the cop where he was from. The Cop told him Chicago.

Getting way to many goofs moving here. Starting to look at the majority of the ones moving here as a bigger threat then the illegals. Need more t hen the Southern Borders Fenced

Armed4Life

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:

If you come to my state, I can guarantee at least 1 security guard who knows the gun laws. ;)

Progun
ProguninTN.......I'm sure you know the gun laws of TN through your own diligence and/or interest and not via the training you received from your employer. Fair statement?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
ProguninTN.......I'm sure you know the gun laws of TN through your own diligence and/or interest and not via the training you received from your employer. Fair statement?
I'll vouch for that, as a guard that was trained by major firms in both AZ and CA. These companies just don't train their employees well enough. Though, I'm not sure we should expect a guard making $8.00 an hour to get a degree or anything. But, basic knowledge could be condensed into a staff memo that takes 3 minutes to read. Yet, it rarely (if ever) happens.

LaneAtomic

imported post

I have worked in security now for two years in Illinois. I have just recently joined a company doing armed ATM service, but that's beside the point. Guards are trained to report suspicious activity, whether or not they know the laws. I'm sure if he's not seen someone OCing, it would be suspicious to him. Fact is, not a whole lot of states require training for their guards. I guess that's one of the few good things to come out of Illinois. We learn at least some BASIC (read BASIC) law, at least what is applicable to our position (theft both felony and misdemeanor, self defense laws, etc.), and we're required to recertify every three years.

edit: Sorry to revive a dead topic, didn't read the last date until after I posted.