• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first couple days of CC and OC

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Well last week I carried my gun for the first time. I had been practing by wearing the gun and holster all week around the house with a few days practicing on drawing. On Friday my first day (of last week), I OC'd, on my way to a friends house to shoot, with my Glock 19 in a paddle style Fobus holster on my right hip. I stopped to pick up a different friend at his house and helped him load his guns in my car. One lady was walking a dog with her son. She sorta seemed to stop for no reason and gave me a good once over then was on her way. Nothing said, but I watched her out of the corner of my eye and noticed her walk away slower and with a much tighter hold on her son. Who was not holding her hand but was running around, previously.

After we left, we stopped at one of those old ice cream/food stands that you park and eat (I'm sure theres a name for these places but I'm too young to remember). I was in line and I noticed one lady inside had big eyes and was glued on me. She stood there for a minute than went around working on stuff, but not too far. I placed my order, waited, got my food, then ate in my car. She continued to stop and watch me every few minutes but that was it. I was surprised that no one else, especially those in line and others waiting for their orders, didn't notice it. Maybe my black Doc Martin shoes, jeans, and dark blue collar shirt made me look like an LEO? I lived here all my life and can't remember once when someone was OC'ing, so it isn't common.

The next day I went to Giant Eagle with my roomate to get some grocceries. This time I decided to CC. Same setup as before this time just had my shirt untucked and covered the G19 well. I walked around nervous it was going to show, so I yanked on my shirt plenty of times. Although it never seemed to uncover itself, no one seemed to notice. Looking in the mirror earlier it would be hard to tell unless you could see the grip in certain postures that made it more evident.

I have to say that either OC or CC, although felt weird at first, made me feel much more safe. I have neither been a "gun guy" nor been anti gun most of my life, but after Virginia Tech it scared me enough to go ahead and research the legality of carry and where one could carry (here in Ohio specifically). VT really frightened me because I could see myself in that situation as a Mechanical Engineering major at the University of Akron. Although I came to find out I can't carry there, I decided to go ahead and get a gun. First I got a S&W .22 then a few weeks ago I got the Glock. About a week after getting the .22 I enrolled into a Basic Pistol/CCW course then got my CHL. Now here I am. From being nowhere near involved with firearms and a middle of the ground guy, to now a strong Pro-gun guy.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe someone else who knows nothing about firearms or carrying could see it how easy it is to do and how much safer you are.

Bustelo5%

imported post

NAchos?????
I just oc at TAllmadge Rd Wal mart the other day that was alot of fun.
Hey Big shafe thanks for OC in our area there are not enough guys our age carrying (btw im 24) let alone people OCing.
Hey do you know other OC ers who may want to set up a get togther in our area? I live neer Kent Campus but work in Kenmore and there are not many likeminded people around here that I know of.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
NAchos?????
I just oc at TAllmadge Rd Wal mart the other day that was alot of fun.
Hey Big shafe thanks for OC in our area there are not enough guys our age carrying (btw im 24) let alone people OCing.
Hey do you know other OC ers who may want to set up a get togther in our area? I live neer Kent Campus but work in Kenmore and there are not many likeminded people around here that I know of.
Thread back from the dead!

I think the OFCC guys had planned or debating on planning a OC walk, but not sure if it ever happened.

I moved down to Columbus just recently so I'm not up in that area anymore, but only a month in I've been haggled by a lady in my apt. complex not to OC for her son's sake. I could tell arguing with her would do no good, so I acknowledged her request but will probably pay no attention to it. I really wanted to ask her if she says the same thing to police officers.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I make sure I carry outside the Apt complex where I work since people are always breaking into our cars.
How is OC in Columbus? I know its a much larger city but how friendly are people towards it?
I want to start a OC group with some college kids here in Kent/Akron University's off campus btw but I havent found enough like minded individuals.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

I haven't OC'd here at all really besides taking the trash to the dumpster. I've just been feeling things out around here and so far it looks like a lot of rich city folk that wouldn't take too kindly to it.

I would be more likely to OC if I were with a few people with a larger collective knowledge of the laws. My only fear is not knowing the laws well enough to defend myself verbally against any over-zealous LEO that and I don't have much of a lawyer fund yet.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well one of my favorite places to OC is WalMart for sure since they are really friendly to it. Giant eagle is pretty oc friendly also_Ohio has state wide preemption so I wouldnt worry about it. I love oc an I do it everywhere I can.
I think your safe carrying anywhere that dosent have any weapons control signs and if they tell you to leave if they dont have a sign,explaine to them its their right to do so and move on.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I mean if you dont want confrontation about having an open gun get a CCW its like 150 bucks and if you get it from a OPATA instructor you dont have to deal with that guys leos harassing you as much.
But honsetly taking the CCW road just isnt for me or alot of people.
If leos have a prob with me and ask me to disarm my self I will, my dads an MP/civillian leo and I respect them alot.
If you get confronted in a store what are they going to do ask you to leave or call leos and you dont have any warrents can they detain you for more than howewver many hours,and when they do they still have to give you your gun back in the condition it was in the first place.
Call up some PDs or Prosecuters and see whats up in the place that you live.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Well I've had my CHL for a few years now and is how I carry, but there are more possibilities than just a small confrontation, a few people in Ohio have already been held at gunpoint for a "man with a gun" call. Small town OC is much different than big city OC. Still feeling things out.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Yeah your defintly right,idk how comfortable I would be OC in Cinci or innercity cleveland but at least people have been doing walks there and that helps out alot.