• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and Nervous

lima

imported post

Good evening, friends. I'm new to OpenCarry.org as well as to the act of open carrying itself.
I live almost RIGHT between Lancaster and Philadelphia in Chester County with my husband and two cats. That's right, I'm a girl. :D I also work at a gun shop and spend my spare time talking about, living, breathing, shooting and training with firearms (mostly handguns).
Though I have carried concealed for almost two years, tonight was my very first time open carrying.

The decision came after wearing a heavy sweater to work as a cover garment. Though I work at a gun shop we are required to conceal and while I am usually cold while at work and the sweater wouldn't bother me, today I was very hot and uncomfortable and had to result to taking my sweater off and tying it around my waist, over my gun.

When I got home from work I said to my husband, "Sometimes I'm just so sick of worry about it. I want to just open carry my gun and not have to worrying about whether it's concealed."

My husband replied, "Well, then, go ahead."

I was shocked at his reply as he is a stronger advocate of concealed carry vs. open.

I asked him if he was serious and if he really wouldn't mind and he said it was my decision.

I told him I would like to at least try it, but I wanted to go over PA's laws one more time before we stepped out the front door.

I did a search on the internet and came across this site and was able to print out the brochure provided in reguards to PA's laws on open carrying (thank you very much, by the way). :D

So, I familiarized myself with the laws (again) and off we headed to the Gap Diner for dinner.

As I stepped out of the vehicle I was extremely nervous. One-hundred times more nervous than my first day of concealed carry.

I know a couple people saw while we were being seated and I was very nervous.

We actually got moved about halfway through our meal and a couple more people saw me and my Kimber Ultra CDP, complete with spare mag pouch and spare mag as we made our way to the other side of the restraunt.

Picture:
IMG_2610.jpg

As an older couple was leaving, the man stopped by our table and asked me if I was a plain clothes police officer.

I said that I was not.

He said, "Well, you must be some kind of Law Enforcement, right?"

I said, "No."

He said, "Is it a lighter?"

My husband laughed and said, "No, it's very real and perfectly legal."

I added, "It's for self defense."

He smiled and said, "In this day, you NEED it. Have a good night," and left.

I was happy that my first encounter was a good one, but I was recieving some less than plesant stares by other patrons.

I put my sweater back on for our trip to Hollywood Video.

It was a bittersweet evening, and something I'll definatly have to get used to if I continue to do it more. I decided to join here to maybe get some information, and maybe share some stories or meet some people in my area who have more experience with open carry than I do.

It's good to be here.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Awesome! Welcome to the enlightened side :) :monkey

We are happy to have you aboard and look forward to hearing about your future OC experiences.

It's been said many times on here that your first OC (in an urban/populated area) is not unlike being naked in public. Or at least the way it feels. You're SURE everyone sees you and is horrified. That fades quickly and you can get back to living your life the same as you did before, only with the added confidence legal OC affords.
Again, welcome!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day" (Thomas Jefferson).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome!

See how easy it is?

There is a thread around here somewhere titled something like "What to Say When Asked"that giveshandy replies you can read up on to get ideas. Once you realize that a lot of people are inCondition White and don't notice, you'll feel less conspicous. Practice up some handy replies to inquiries and you'll start to feelconfident.

unrequited

imported post

Lima, saw your pics in the CC thread over on defensivecarry.org, awesome that you've decided to OC a bit. I'm still back and forth depending on where I go during the day, but it's a great option to have, and one I'm happy you're excercising.

lima

imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome.

This was certainly a trial run and it gave me a lot to think about and consider. My husband and I had been talking about trying open carry for some time and have simply never gotten around to it. We wanted to start somewhere further from home so that if it had a negative impact it wouldn't follow us to our front door, we also wanted to look into places that have a history of being kind to open carriers.

It's always good to get your feet wet in a warm pool, for sure.

We will be moving to Virginia in a short while (possibly two or three months) and as we research Virginia's laws we understand that open carry is required for entering establishments that serve alcohol. We wanted to see how comfortable (or uncomfortable) this would be for us. I think we are starting to get a small taste of this.

We shall see what the future holds.

unrequited

imported post

Well as much as I'd love to say VA would be a great step up from PA, from reading both states' forums recently we're still working out the kinks. Hopefully by the time you make your way down, it'll be better. Are you perhaps moving to the Northern Virginia (NoVA - near D.C.) area?

WhiteFeather

imported post

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Chester isn't very far from where I live at all.

I'm glad to see yet another person step out of the box and enjoy the same freedoms as our founders did. I will caution that OC will draw attention and to be ready. Most of the time I have people ask me about it because they would like to. I have yet to receive a complaint. But some people in general don't want to be bothered by others. But as long as you don't mind its great!

I think of OC as another option. If I'm going into the city and I know its gonna be tight quarters and people may be rubbing up against me than I CC. But I would say a 60% 70% of the time I OC. That may come change winter and jackets and sweaters are wearable once more. But we'll see.

Again welcome!!!

TheJordTrain

imported post

Bravo, and bravo again!

Chester county isn't half bad for OC, or so I hear. I live and work next door in Delaware County and while there are rumors of things being iffy in Marcus Hook (gonna have to confirm that one this weekend................) by and large it's not bad. Most people respond just like the old man from the restaurant. In fact,

(leans chair back, puts feet up) I remember the first time I OC'd....

I was at an ATM, with gun on, on the streets of Media on a saturday night. Guy and wife walking by, wife gives me a glance. Guy says.... must be a stakeout somewhere.

So keep at it!

And as a member of the younger generation, I must humbly entreat you to have lots of beautiful children that hopefully bear strong resemblance to yourself, and teach them to carry.

Every time I see a gal with a gun on the internet, she's married, and I have pangs of fear that she's the last of her kind :what::lol:

(EDIT, later:) and may I ask which gun shop? Feel free not to give it out if it's sensitive material.

lima

imported post

TheJordTrain wrote:
(EDIT, later:) and may I ask which gun shop? Feel free not to give it out if it's sensitive material.
I would prefer not to say. I wouldn't be surprised if any gun lover in Chester County recognized me as the shop is a pretty popular one and there aren't many women who work in gun shops that I've seen, but my request would be that if you do recognize me, you say so in a private message or something similar.

I'm a socible person and enjoy meeting new people, but I'm still wary of the internet. Old fashioned I gues.. :lol:

I guess it's fair to say that I don't like confrontation and sometimes I feel that confrontation is almost inevitable if one is going to be open carrying. I guess we'll have to see how things progress.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Hi Lima,

Wanting to find out more about your adventures I tried to register at www.defensivecarry.com and it wouldn't let me. Seems I was already a member and had forgotten all about it. Doh! Thanks for sending me in the right direction and welcome to OCDO.

LoveMyCountry

lima

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Hi Lima,

Wanting to find out more about your adventures I tried to register at http://www.defensivecarry.com and it wouldn't let me. Seems I was already a member and had forgotten all about it. Doh! Thanks for sending me in the right direction and welcome to OCDO.

LoveMyCountry
Did you "get in?" :)

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

lima wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
Hi Lima,

Wanting to find out more about your adventures I tried to register at http://www.defensivecarry.com and it wouldn't let me. Seems I was already a member and had forgotten all about it. Doh! Thanks for sending me in the right direction and welcome to OCDO.

LoveMyCountry
Did you "get in?" :)

Yep. It said that my email address was already used, so I had it send me the info to see who was using my email address and wouldn't you know it, it was me. :lol:

For some reason I used the handle of "Patriot" over there, so if you see me wandering around say Hi.

LoveMyCountry

30 cal slut

imported post

hi there! see, we not all a bunch of middle-aged balding white dudes with huge beer guts.

:p:celebrate:p

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OC! Congrats on a positive first experience, and also having the guts to OC. I was very nervous the first few times as well. But as others have already said, it gets easier with time! Now to get your husband OCing....:D

urbanamish99

imported post

Interesting to here about your first O.C. experience lima. I live close to Gap, and have O.C'd extensively in Lancaster, Gap, Parkesburgh, etc. Maybe we'll run into you before you move south. I have a few friends who O.C. around here as well.