• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Police Should Handle "Gunman" Calls

nickerj1

imported post

Here's how it went down:

After laying siege to a house for five hours, police gave a final warning before storming the house where a gunman had been reported inside.
A police dog rushed upstairs and, finding a woman in bed, proceeded to sink its teeth into her arms.
But as armed officers surrounded a terrified Sonia Pellow, they realised two things. First, she wasn't a gunman.
Second, she was deaf and had been sleeping throughout the entire stand-off.
Yesterday Miss Pellow, 36, was still too afraid to return to her home in Hayle, Cornwall, after the ordeal, which followed a hoax call to police that a gunman was inside.
"I don't know what happened - I was asleep but then this dog was all over me," she said. "I got bitten on both of my arms. I was terrified."
Her father Esmond, 67, added: "Sonia is hard of hearing and is also very difficult to wake up once she is asleep. It looks like she was attacked by a crocodile, not a dog."
Miss Pellow was arrested on suspicion of unlawfully possessing a firearm but released without charge.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said the matter would be investigated if she made a complaint.
He added: "Police negotiators had been at the scene trying to make contact with anyone inside the house for several hours."

Source:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23405223-details/Deaf+woman+slept+through+five-hour+gun+siege/article.do

This is classic, just classic. I laughed for at least 5 minutes.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Well did they ever find out who made the hoax call? At least if she could not get any money from the police department, I am betting she could sue the caller.

Tomahawk

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
Miss Pellow was arrested on suspicion of unlawfully possessing a firearm but released without charge.

Disgusting. I see the British police also follow the practice of "Well, we have to charge 'em with something to justify all the bad things we've done here."

Everyone responsible for this from the cops up to the politicians should be punished for this. And the hoax caller whould be fed to the dogs.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:

I see the British police also follow the practice of "Well, we have to charge 'em with something to justify all the bad things we've done here."
I've noticed that same pattern of behavior, too! I think it might be the same for bad cops all over.