• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

winchester evault - howto reset combo

93sr20det

imported post

i called the company today and spoke with a very friendly lady on the phone who is mailing me a manual out at no charge... i highly recommend these things

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I'm gald you are going to get a solution.

I have three safes. One safe I forgot the combination to and couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually, I found a little piece of paper with a number on it, and tried the safe...it opened. Inside was the OM with the combination printed on it. Yes, the safe's maker would have told me the combination, but I would have to pay a $20 "research fee" so I was encouragedto find it myself.

It can be a real problem remembering safe combinations, especially if you are not in your safe(s) very often. And just writing them down and hiding them somewhere -- were they found by a thief or some other person -- is not a good idea, either.

I finally figured out a way to have all 3 safe combinations at hand yet fairly secured in a coded format, but you still have to recall at least some of the numbers in each safe's combination in order to read the code.

What a hassle we all have to go through in life with so many things do do (lock everything up, hide passwords, user-ids, combinations, etc.) andall because of a relatively few damn criminals.

-- John D.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I add a phone number to my cell phone that is the combo to my lock. an example would be:

John Smith

503-984-5620

The combo being 98-45-62

If you have a 10 digit keypad type its even easier

503-555-1234 (1234 being the 4 digitcombo)

or

503-123-5000 (123 being the 3 digit combo)

You could list the number under Uncle bob, or a pets name, or what ever (But I wouldn’t suggest naming it "Gun safe combo") whatever is easy to remember for you. It also works great for spouses and children’s SS numbers (123-45-6789 turns into 123-456-7890) even pin numbers. however if you have a really bad memory and abuse ityou could end up with more "code" numbers in you phone than real numbers and forget which is which.

FogRider

imported post

You lucky guy, just happen to still have my manual handy. You do have the key, right? Otherwise you are cutting into your safe, kinda defeating the purpose.

The seup button is inside, under the screen, left side.

-Press the setup button for 2 seconds (Green LED flashes & remains on)

-Enter your 4 digit code

-Press the setup button for 2 seconds (LED will turn red & remains on)

-Enter your 4 digit code (2[suP]nd[/suP] time)

-Press setup button for 2 second (LED turns green and flashes 5 times)

NOTE: New code failed if the LED flashes 5 times RED.

Joseph E.Cline

imported post

I just purchased a Winchester eVault 400 from Bass Pro In Shreveport and It did not have an ovners manuel.

Can anyone tell me how to set the code?
never mind I just figured it out Thanks

ScottSaint

imported post

Trouble with eVault

I just bought an evault - had no problem programming my 4 digit code into the safe but for some reason now...the door will not lock shut unless I manually close the door and enter in my 4 digit code again. So...once to open and then again to close. This cant be right. Does anyone have any advice.

winchesterevault.com has been offline since i bought the safe (over a month ago)

Thanks in advance!

redheadrealtor

imported post

I just bought my Winchester evault for my new revolver and programmed my new combination and need to change it...I tried following the instructions several times and it does not allow me to change it...anyone else have this problem and can help? The company website is down and there is no phone number on any of the info I have.

TFred

imported post

I think my eVault broke tonight. Google found this thread for me, but from what the last few messages say, I'm not getting a warm fuzzy that I will be able to get this problem fixed.

I punched in the combo, and the door popped open like normal, but at the same time, I heard a short "whirr" sound.

First time I heard that. I closed the door and punched in the numbers again, but this time, the door did not open, and I heard that same short "whirr" sound again. Same results upon multiple retries.

The emergency key does still open it, thank goodness, but it seems as though some mechanical part inside has failed.

Anybody have any update on a contact for the manufacturer?

TFred

TFred

imported post

By the way... one of the easiest ways to set and remember short numeric passwords is to use the keypad of your touch tone phone to build short words. Build a short word you can remember, and use the numbers on the associated key for the combo.

For example, BIG OCER would be 24-46-23, (leaving off the last "R" to get a 6 digit combo). You can build any word to suit the format of your lock.

TFred

AbNo

imported post

TFred wrote:
First time I heard that. I closed the door and punched in the numbers again, but this time, the door did not open, and I heard that same short "whirr" sound again. Same results upon multiple retries.

The emergency key does still open it, thank goodness, but it seems as though some mechanical part inside has failed.
The electric motor that unlocks the vault is either shorted out a bit, slipped a gear, or dead.

Apparently you're not the only one, either...

http://www.amazon.com/eVault-1200-Electronic-Safe-Md/dp/B00266DY5Y

When you enter the correct combination on the keypad, a small electric motor starts spinning. This motor takes up the slack in a very thin stranded wire. The other end of this thin wire is attached to the latch mechanism. So... it winds up and literally snatches the lock open. While the latch is momentarily in this retracted position, the springs on the door hinge swing the door open before the whole motor/wire/latch assembly can rebound. Mine had failed because the wire was frayed and broken, not on the ends where you might expect a weakening due to the crimps that hold both ends in place but mine was frayed and broken right in the middle.
If you have the time, tools, and inclination, you might be able to replace the unlocking wire yourself.

If you give up on that thing, and can't get a warranty repair, would you mind if I took a crack at it, no pun intended?

I need a couple of weeks before I could look at the safe, as I need to finish making a night-vision device for my final project at BRCC, but I wouldn't mind a new project when I'm done with this. :D

Also, I'd be up Winchester's A:cuss::cuss: about this safe, since they put their name on it, but maybe that's just me.

TFred

imported post

AbNo wrote:
TFred wrote:

The electric motor that unlocks the vault is either shorted out a bit, slipped a gear, or dead.

Apparently you're not the only one, either...

http://www.amazon.com/eVault-1200-Electronic-Safe-Md/dp/B00266DY5Y

When you enter the correct combination on the keypad, a small electric motor starts spinning. This motor takes up the slack in a very thin stranded wire. The other end of this thin wire is attached to the latch mechanism. So... it winds up and literally snatches the lock open. While the latch is momentarily in this retracted position, the springs on the door hinge swing the door open before the whole motor/wire/latch assembly can rebound. Mine had failed because the wire was frayed and broken, not on the ends where you might expect a weakening due to the crimps that hold both ends in place but mine was frayed and broken right in the middle.
If you have the time, tools, and inclination, you might be able to replace the unlocking wire yourself.

If you give up on that thing, and can't get a warranty repair, would you mind if I took a crack at it, no pun intended?

I need a couple of weeks before I could look at the safe, as I need to finish making a night-vision device for my final project at BRCC, but I wouldn't mind a new project when I'm done with this. :D

Also, I'd be up Winchester's A:cuss::cuss: about this safe, since they put their name on it, but maybe that's just me.
That description sounds exactly like what has happened.

I found a phone number, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. The warranty is for a year, I've had it for about 22 months.

I'll post an update. Thanks for the offer, I won't rule it out at this point! :)

TFred