• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs

reefteach

imported post

I spotted an OCer in Colorado Springs at the Flying W Ranch http://www.flyingw.com . He was appropriately dressed, including a single action .357 in a western holster. He mentioned that he had never seen a patron OC and that he did it only when working in the evening because of bears and mountain lions in the area.

I got in a little OCing at the Old Colorado City farmers market. I was carring a 5" stainless S&W 686 .357 in a black Bianchi 350 OWB w/ thumbbreak. Nobody thought twice about it. They had some great deals on some really fresh produce.

I also carried in a Subway restaurant somewhere near the Garden of the Gods. ALL of the teenage employees noticed. One couldn't stop smiling, one tried not to look, but kept glancing, and one went in back and didn't come out for a while. I didn't feel that saying anything about it was necessary. After all,I was just a guy with a gun.I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the breakroom whenI left though.

denwego

imported post

Excellent to read! I've always heard that Colorado Springs was very friendly when it comes to OCing, and it seems like that was right on the mark. Have a good time while you're down there!

bomber

That's cool. I haven't been to the Flying W ranch in ages. I need to get out there again.

urban armor

My business partner and I OC everyday all over El Paso county but primarily in Colorado Springsfor about 2 years now, and have not had one bad experience. He carries a Ruger P90 45 and I carry a Springfield XD 45, and we both have 2 extra mags visible on our belts. We carry for defense more than a statement. We have even dealt with the El Paso county Sheriff's on several occasions for other reasons than OC while armed talking with them and they don't mind. We have even had a couple of deputies say thank you for carrying. On several occasions we have been engaged in discussions by our fellow citizens some say OCing encourages good behavior some just say thank you for exercising your rights. Once you point out the obvious that criminals don't OC and you look respectable I think they are OK with it or just don't care

We OC everywhere like Walmart, Lowe's, out at restaurants. Except gov buildings, on base, etc we are always armed. The only business we have ever had a negative response was Costco. Although they have no signs up and we have OC'd in there several times and never been questioned we were told Costco's official policy is no weapons period. So I am not sure if they just don't want to pick a side and put a sign up fearing we will shop elsewhere or they just pick and choose when to enforce there policies.

But on the whole I do think OC'ing encourages good behavior. If anybody want to go on an outing or any newbies want some company just let me know.

Last edited:

ooghost1oo

I notice someone OC'ing every once and a while in random places. More often than you'd think. Obviously people involved to some level in OC public awareness. I usually wonder, in passing, if that person is on this board.

F350

If y'all think Colorado Springs is OC friendly..... ypu should come on over to the western slope. I OC every day, including on the campus of Colorado Mesa University and not had a bad LEO encounter. As urban armor said even had one thank me for carrying and even said "It good to have backup out here".

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Backup? Reminds me of that old Lone Ranger joke:

He and Tonto find themselves surrounded by hostile Indians.

The Lone Ranger says, "Well, Tonto, it looks like we're in some serious trouble this time!"

Tonto says, "What do you mean 'we,' Kemo Sabe?"

...just kidding -- glad to see at least some cops view carriers (OC or CC) as good guys.

Last edited: