Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive OC carry experience in Manassas restaurant

Post imported post

This post probably belongs in the "Longwatch thread" but in my opinion it was significant and positive enough to bring it to your attention.

This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas. When we arrived I was carrying concealed due to other activitiesthis morning where CC was more appropriate. As we entered the restaurant I was reminded that this place served alcohol (the bar was very evident as we walked in the door.) I had been there several times before, but always for breakfast and forgot that the ABC factor was involved. I immediately removed a light weight shirt I was wearing over a T-Shirt. The manager who seated us noticed the J frame S&W immediately but no reaction or comment.

We had a nice quiet breakfast with no issues. While chatting with the waitress, she mentioned that the manager had noticed that I was armed and wondered if I was LEO. She made it clear he had no problem with it but was curious. I told her, no....just a citizen....etc...A long conversation took place as I explained the OC laws in Va. and how it was impacted by the ABC issue. Both the waitress and manager were not aware of the OC laws and were very interested and appreciated me taking the time to discuss the laws with them.

We shook hands had a little small talk .....and the manager closed by saying..."please come back again real soon."

Hooray for some establishments in Manassas !!!!!!

There may be hope yet.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

VAspringer wrote:
    This post probably belongs in the "Longwatch thread" but in my opinion it was significant and positive enough to bring it to your attention.

This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas. When we arrived I was carrying concealed due to other activitiesthis morning where CC was more appropriate. As we entered the restaurant I was reminded that this place served alcohol (the bar was very evident as we walked in the door.) I had been there several times before, but always for breakfast and forgot that the ABC factor was involved. I immediately removed a light weight shirt I was wearing over a T-Shirt. The manager who seated us noticed the J frame S&W immediately but no reaction or comment.

We had a nice quiet breakfast with no issues. While chatting with the waitress, she mentioned that the manager had noticed that I was armed and wondered if I was LEO. She made it clear he had no problem with it but was curious. I told her, no....just a citizen....etc...A long conversation took place as I explained the OC laws in Va. and how it was impacted by the ABC issue. Both the waitress and manager were not aware of the OC laws and were very interested and appreciated me taking the time to discuss the laws with them.

We shook hands had a little small talk .....and the manager closed by saying..."please come back again real soon."

Hooray for some establishments in Manassas !!!!!!

There may be hope yet.
    I would bet that the majority of Manassas' eating establishments would have the same reaction.

Congrats and thanks for your positive discussion with them.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Wow, that's some great advertising for them, I must say!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

So here's a thought. If you go into a restaurant that has an ABC license, for breakfast, they aren't actually serving alcohol at that time of day I wouldn't think, does the prohibition still stand?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    So here's a thought. If you go into a restaurant that has an ABC license, for breakfast, they aren't actually serving alcohol at that time of day I wouldn't think, does the prohibition still stand?
    State law makes no time of day distinction.
    ---

Post imported post

I have not heard of that restaurant before, and would like to try it out. Where are they located? Thanks.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    Note the law does not distinguish whether alcohol is being served, the pivotal point is whetherthey are licensed to sell and serve alcohol. From 18.2-308 J3:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in ยง 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

If he found out you were a LEO... you would get a little extra something in your meal.... :shock:

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    If he found out you were a LEO... you would get a little extra something in your meal.... :shock:
    If I was a restaurant owner, I'd have paper placemats for the police. Instead of kiddie crayon games, I'd have 'em printed up withexcerpts of 4th Amendment court opinions.

Well, just so they don't feel too disappointed, I'd have some with kiddie crayon games for them,too.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Would you like a dash of our "special sauce" with that?:shock:

Post imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Would you like a dash of our "special sauce" with that?:shock:
    No thank you! You can give me something that was already made and wrapped please...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    No thank you! You can give me something that was already made and wrapped please...
    Oh! good idea! I overlooked wrappers. Being smaller, I would only be able to include one quotation from a 4th Amendment case.

Hey! "Collect them all!" "A new case each week!"

Post imported post

Where is that pamphle for VA gun rights that was on here? I want to print some of those out to hand to folks in situations like these

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
    Where is that pamphle for VA gun rights that was on here? I want to print some of those out to hand to folks in situations like these

Law section:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html

Post imported post

VAspringer wrote:
    This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas.
    Is this the restaraunt at the intersection of Ashton Ave and Cockrell Ln? Just down the street from Virginia Arms?

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    If I was a restaurant owner, I'd have paper placemats for the police. Instead of kiddie crayon games, I'd have 'em printed up withexcerpts of 4th Amendment court opinions.

Well, just so they don't feel too disappointed, I'd have some with kiddie crayon games for them,too.
    Good idea. You should start a donut shop and print the stuff on the donut cartons.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    VAspringer wrote:
    This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas.
    Is this the restaraunt at the intersection of Ashton Ave and Cockrell Ln? Just down the street from Virginia Arms?
    Yes.....that's the one. Great food and service as well.....plenty of parking. It would be nice to support gun friendly establishements....especially in Manassas.

Post imported post

VAspringer wrote:
    vrwmiller wrote:
    VAspringer wrote:
    Yes.....that's the one. Great food and service as well.....plenty of parking. It would be nice to support gun friendly establishements....especially in Manassas.
    Ahh, ok. I did not know they had that attitude towards OC. I had been there before a couple years ago, but was not OC'ing back then. I think, perhaps, I will visit more regularly.

Post imported post

We ate there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the food. We now have another reason to go....Does anyone want to do a gathering there?

Post imported post

Gotta visit VA Arms at the same time if we do...

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Gotta visit VA Arms at the same time if we do...
    VA Arms has a nice 1911 selection. Yum yum!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

To bad I'm not to fond of their employees.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    To bad I'm not to fond of their employees.
    What about their employees are you not fond of?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Luis aka Looey (his AR15.com handle) feels pretty strongly against OC. He took sides with the MPD when he came to VCDL meeting on that issue. More recently he was trashing Danbus and Reverend for OC in Norfolk. Pretty much he thinks OC is going to hurt his "right" to carry concealed.
    http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=...908&page=2

Another guy there, I don't know one day was trying to tell another customer that a DD214 wasn't sufficient proof of training for a CHP. A week later I tried to throw them some business with a customer looking for a case suitable for airline travel, they told him he couldn't fly with it and would have to ship it through an FFL .

Basically while its a fine shop otherwise but I am less than satisfied with their attitudes and level of service and don't expect to be shopping there anytime soon.

Post imported post

I agree, a trip to both places would be nice. VA Arms is only open until 7PM so we should visit there first and then move onto supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast