• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive OC carry experience in Manassas restaurant

VAspringer

imported post

This post probably belongs in the "Longwatch thread" but in my opinion it was significant and positive enough to bring it to your attention.

This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas. When we arrived I was carrying concealed due to other activitiesthis morning where CC was more appropriate. As we entered the restaurant I was reminded that this place served alcohol (the bar was very evident as we walked in the door.) I had been there several times before, but always for breakfast and forgot that the ABC factor was involved. I immediately removed a light weight shirt I was wearing over a T-Shirt. The manager who seated us noticed the J frame S&W immediately but no reaction or comment.

We had a nice quiet breakfast with no issues. While chatting with the waitress, she mentioned that the manager had noticed that I was armed and wondered if I was LEO. She made it clear he had no problem with it but was curious. I told her, no....just a citizen....etc...A long conversation took place as I explained the OC laws in Va. and how it was impacted by the ABC issue. Both the waitress and manager were not aware of the OC laws and were very interested and appreciated me taking the time to discuss the laws with them.

We shook hands had a little small talk .....and the manager closed by saying..."please come back again real soon."

Hooray for some establishments in Manassas !!!!!!;)

There may be hope yet. :lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

VAspringer wrote:
This post probably belongs in the "Longwatch thread" but in my opinion it was significant and positive enough to bring it to your attention.

This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas. When we arrived I was carrying concealed due to other activitiesthis morning where CC was more appropriate. As we entered the restaurant I was reminded that this place served alcohol (the bar was very evident as we walked in the door.) I had been there several times before, but always for breakfast and forgot that the ABC factor was involved. I immediately removed a light weight shirt I was wearing over a T-Shirt. The manager who seated us noticed the J frame S&W immediately but no reaction or comment.

We had a nice quiet breakfast with no issues. While chatting with the waitress, she mentioned that the manager had noticed that I was armed and wondered if I was LEO. She made it clear he had no problem with it but was curious. I told her, no....just a citizen....etc...A long conversation took place as I explained the OC laws in Va. and how it was impacted by the ABC issue. Both the waitress and manager were not aware of the OC laws and were very interested and appreciated me taking the time to discuss the laws with them.

We shook hands had a little small talk .....and the manager closed by saying..."please come back again real soon."

Hooray for some establishments in Manassas !!!!!!;)

There may be hope yet. :lol:

I would bet that the majority of Manassas' eating establishments would have the same reaction.

Congrats and thanks for your positive discussion with them.

paramedic70002

imported post

So here's a thought. If you go into a restaurant that has an ABC license, for breakfast, they aren't actually serving alcohol at that time of day I wouldn't think, does the prohibition still stand?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
So here's a thought. If you go into a restaurant that has an ABC license, for breakfast, they aren't actually serving alcohol at that time of day I wouldn't think, does the prohibition still stand?
State law makes no time of day distinction.

rebfan

imported post

I have not heard of that restaurant before, and would like to try it out. Where are they located? Thanks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:

Note the law does not distinguish whether alcohol is being served, the pivotal point is whetherthey are licensed to sell and serve alcohol. From 18.2-308 J3:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

LEO 229

imported post

If he found out you were a LEO... you would get a little extra something in your meal.... :shock:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If he found out you were a LEO... you would get a little extra something in your meal.... :shock:

If I was a restaurant owner, I'd have paper placemats for the police. Instead of kiddie crayon games, I'd have 'em printed up withexcerpts of 4th Amendment court opinions. :)

Well, just so they don't feel too disappointed, I'd have some with kiddie crayon games for them,too. :)

LEO 229

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Would you like a dash of our "special sauce" with that?:shock:
No thank you! You can give me something that was already made and wrapped please... ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
No thank you! You can give me something that was already made and wrapped please... ;)
Oh! good idea! I overlooked wrappers. Being smaller, I would only be able to include one quotation from a 4th Amendment case.

Hey! "Collect them all!" "A new case each week!" :)

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Where is that pamphle for VA gun rights that was on here? I want to print some of those out to hand to folks in situations like these :)

vrwmiller

imported post

VAspringer wrote:
This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas.
Is this the restaraunt at the intersection of Ashton Ave and Cockrell Ln? Just down the street from Virginia Arms?

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

If I was a restaurant owner, I'd have paper placemats for the police. Instead of kiddie crayon games, I'd have 'em printed up withexcerpts of 4th Amendment court opinions. :)

Well, just so they don't feel too disappointed, I'd have some with kiddie crayon games for them,too. :)
Good idea. You should start a donut shop and print the stuff on the donut cartons.

VAspringer

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
VAspringer wrote:
This morning my wife and I had a late breakfast at The Family Restaurant in Manassas.
Is this the restaraunt at the intersection of Ashton Ave and Cockrell Ln? Just down the street from Virginia Arms?
Yes.....that's the one. Great food and service as well.....plenty of parking. It would be nice to support gun friendly establishements....especially in Manassas.

vrwmiller

imported post

VAspringer wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
VAspringer wrote:
Yes.....that's the one. Great food and service as well.....plenty of parking. It would be nice to support gun friendly establishements....especially in Manassas.
Ahh, ok. I did not know they had that attitude towards OC. I had been there before a couple years ago, but was not OC'ing back then. I think, perhaps, I will visit more regularly.

rebfan

imported post

We ate there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the food. We now have another reason to go....Does anyone want to do a gathering there?