• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC and/or Oc in the State of Colorado ???

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Here is short and brief E-mail to Colorado Department of Public Service and a response back to me.

What do you Guys and Girls think ???

Give alots of feed-back wether good or bad.

[align=right]

|

|

|
Inbox

Dear Pether,

Our statute regarding reciprocity was changed recently. In order for your Utah concealed gun permit to be valid in Colorado, you must be a resident of Utah.

Please see my answers to your questions below, in red.

Hope this was helpful, and have a safe trip!

Susan Kitchen
Agent in Charge
Colorado Bureau of Investigation
(303) 239-4235

----- Forwarded by James Spoden/CCIC/CBI/CDPS on 07/23/2007 02:44 PM -----

"The Constitution of the United States and Declaration of Independence" <uswedeg37@hotmail.com>
07/23/2007 02:28 PM
[/align]

To: <james.spoden@cdps.state.co.us>
cc:
Subject: CC and/or Oc in the State of Colorado ???

To whom it May Concern,

My name is Pether and I have some Q's concerning my Wife's and my trip to Colorado in about a month.

We are going to http://www.balloonclassic.com/

This will our first trip to this wonderful State.

Being CHP holders from Utah we are a State that has reciprocity with Colorado.
http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp

# 1 Q would be...Does the State of Colorado allow OC ( Open Carry ) and if so where would be restricted Area's ( ie Cities, etc )? Please refer to the Colorado statutes located on our web site at: http://www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw.

# 2...although recommened, but does the State require to ID CHP when approached by an LEO? CRS 18-12-204 requires that you produce your concealed handgun permit, along with a valid photo identification, upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

# 3 ...We would like to have a Peaceable Journey and be able to relax while travelling

#4...In the State of Utah we can travel around as CHP holder with our Pistol/Revolver Loaded, meaning a round in the Chamber at all times, Is this the same thing in Colorado ? Colorado law does not address the issue.

#5...A Person can open carry legally unless posted otherwise. Not true: see 18,12-105 and 18-12-105.5, for example. However, persons have been and continue to be prosecuted for "disorderly conduct".

How can this be,if it is a RIGHT by the Colorado AND U.S Constituiton? See my response below...
Right to Bear Arms
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

A Person can open carry legally unless posted otherwise. I disagree: see my answer to #6. However, persons have been and continue to be prosecuted for "disorderly conduct" if the "victim" was "alarmed" at seeing the firearm.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colorado Constitution Article II Sec 13
Right to Bear Arms
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms...,shall be called in question;"

So..If it then shall not be in Question How can a Person be Charged with Disorderly Conduct and possibly Prosecuted ??? I'm not an attorney. As a police officer, I see no relation between a person's right to bear arms (given) and his guilt or innocence for Disorderly Conduct (depending on his conduct). I suggest that you ask this question of your attorney.

Making something Legal something Illegal ???

Best Regards,

Pether

denwego

imported post

Funny how they completely gave you the run-around on the question you asked regarding open carry... but to answer it for you, OC is legal everywhere concealed carry is legal except locations which are clearly marked as being prohibited (i.e., a sign that says "NO FIREARMS" or such). The only strange exception to this rule is Denver, which has special permission to enforce its no open carry ordinance unless you have a special Denver-issued OC permit (which is never issued to normal law-abiding folks). Even here in Boulder, OC is sometimes frowned upon by local LEOs, but they know it's legal, and I've never had a problem in the years I've been carrying here. Down in Colorado Springs where you'll be for your visit is probably the most OC-friendly big city in the Mountain Time zone, so you'll have a fine time!

Mainsail

imported post

#4...In the State of Utah we can travel around as CHP holder with our Pistol/Revolver Loaded, meaning a round in the Chamber at all times, Is this the same thing in Colorado ? Colorado law does not address the issue.

I'm curious, why would you even ask this question?