• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will You Show Your ID If You Get Stopped For OCing?

Will you show an ID to an LEO if he/she stops you for OC?

• I'll volunteer it, without the LEO asking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll show it but only if he asks for it.

• I'll think about it and decide as the encounter proceeds.

• I'll give him a photocopy of it so he cannot hold my ID hostage.

• I will refuse to show him my ID unless it is specifically required by statute.

• I will not show him my CC permit if I'm OCing.

• I'll make him acknowledge that I don't have to give it to him--then I will give him the ID.

• I will not show him any ID unless he threatens me with arrest--then I will.

• I will just give him my first name.

• I'll give him my full name--but not my ID.

• Total voters

Sig229

imported post

Ive tried looking on the net, but cant find any info.

Does anyone know of you have to show your ID to LEO's upon the LEO's request in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?

Thanks!

apjonas

imported post

Sig229 wrote:

Does anyone know of you have to show your ID to LEO's upon the LEO's request in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?

Thanks!

I am not sure under what conditions you are talking about but there is no state wherein you have to produce identification solely because it is requested by a LEO.

Are you talking about while driving, OC'ing, CC'ing, during a Terry Stop? If so, provide the details for a detailed answer from this illustrious forum.

Sig229

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Sig229 wrote:

Thanks!

I am not sure under what conditions you are talking about but there is no state wherein you have to produce identification solely because it is requested by a LEO.

Are you talking about while driving, OC'ing, CC'ing, during a Terry Stop? If so, provide the details for a detailed answer from this illustrious forum.

Well, I figuired that since this topic was on "Showing a LEO your ID while OC'ing" it was pretty clear as to why I was asking.
But true, I should have clarified.

apjonas

imported post

Well, I figuired that since this topic was on "Showing a LEO your ID while OC'ing" it was pretty clear as to why I was asking.

Ok, but in a vehicle, on foot, what state, what location? Are you asking if it required or merely desirable?

I will interpret you question as you are OC'ing in a location where it unquestionably permitted, without a license, on foot, during a consensual encounter and you are clearly over the minimum age (if any) and have no indication that the LEO is a sociopath. Answer - No, of course not. Smile (optional) and continue on your way. The naked act of OC does not give rise toPC. Convenient rule of thumb - substitute " a black man in dreadlocks (BMID)" for "a person open carrying (APOC)" - in the question of choice. The answers should be the same. Example:

Old blue-haired lady seesAPOCsimply walking down the street. She is truly frightened because she has never seen APOCin her neighborhood and calls 911. If the 911 fails to screen properly (nothing wrong with APOC) and the LEO gets the truth from the old girl (simply APOC) - no reason to investigate. Since there is no PC any encounter is consensual. Being APOC is as legal as being a BMID. LEO telling APOC thathe "frightens people" is as out of line and should result in discipline as if he told the BMID that his presence did likewise. It is hard for people to get their heads around how these two situations are essentially no different. If the race angle is too "heavy" for you, substitute "a person wearing a yarmulke" or wearing tattered clothing or with spiky pink hair or (yeech) facial piercings or a "Romney 2008" t-shirt or maybe all of these.

Sig229

imported post

apjonas wrote:

Ok, but in a vehicle, on foot, what state, what location? Are you asking if it required or merely desirable?

I will interpret you question as you are OC'ing in a location where it unquestionably permitted, without a license, on foot, during a consensual encounter and you are clearly over the minimum age (if any) and have no indication that the LEO is a sociopath. Answer - No, of course not. Smile (optional) and continue on your way. The naked act of OC does not give rise toPC. Convenient rule of thumb - substitute " a black man in dreadlocks (BMID)" for "a person open carrying (APOC)" - in the question of choice. The answers should be the same. Example:

Old blue-haired lady seesAPOCsimply walking down the street. She is truly frightened because she has never seen APOCin her neighborhood and calls 911. If the 911 fails to screen properly (nothing wrong with APOC) and the LEO gets the truth from the old girl (simply APOC) - no reason to investigate. Since there is no PC any encounter is consensual. Being APOC is as legal as being a BMID. LEO telling APOC thathe "frightens people" is as out of line and should result in discipline as if he told the BMID that his presence did likewise. It is hard for people to get their heads around how these two situations are essentially no different. If the race angle is too "heavy" for you, substitute "a person wearing a yarmulke" or wearing tattered clothing or with spiky pink hair or (yeech) facial piercings or a "Romney 2008" t-shirt or maybe all of these.

I apreciate it.
Yeah I meant on foot and maybe in a department strore and such.
Im not black or arab and no pink hair, so I guess I should be fine.:lol: