• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Reason To Carry in Manassas

vrwmiller

imported post

Two city men attacked
By ELISA A. GLUSHEFSKI
eglushefski@manassasjm.com

Two Hispanic men, ages 26 and 30, were attacked in the 9700 block of Clark Place in Manassas around 11:05 p.m. Sunday, Manassas police said.

Police responded to a call of a fight in progress and found the two victims bleeding from head wounds, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, police spokesman.

The victims told police that four black men attacked them while they were sitting in the parking lot in front of their apartment building and robbed them of their wallets, one containing $1,000 and the other $2,000, Neumann said.

The victims were not able to give a more detailed description of the attackers, according to police.

Street robberies, particularly when Hispanics were being targeted, jumped dramatically in 2005 and 2006 and became a serious concern for law enforcement in Manassas and Prince William County.

In that spike, a trend emerged: That small groups of young black men were preying on Hispanic immigrants because of the perception that they carry large sums of cash.

Manassas crime statistics showed that those cases contributed to a 50 percent increase in robberies in 2005.

Lately, though, Neumann said there appears to have been a downward trend in street robberies, and that the victims and the descriptions of the robbers have been more mixed.

Anyone with information about the attack and robbery is asked to call the Manassas City Crime Solvers at 703-330-0330. Callers could earn a cash reward up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest in this case.

CPL_in_WA

imported post

AHA!!!
Police responded to a call of a fight in progress and found the two victims bleeding from head wounds, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, police spokesman.
Police arrive to find victims!!!

Definitely another reason to carry. Anywhere. Period.

vrwmiller, excellent post, thank you.

Drake

imported post

I think the real issue here is how did these young men fall into a life a crime. We should closely look at their family background and what types of media they were subjected to. Obviously these men are victims to society and likely were infected by our culture of violence. To hold these men accountable for beating these two individuals up would be a tradegy of justice. Their actions were likely a combination of bad parenting, MTV, eating McDonalds, and playing excessive levels of Grand Theft Auto. What these robbers need is a group hug. Through wishful thinking and meaningful policy, we can save the lives of so many young men who beat innocent people to a pulp. It would be horrible to have these lives wasted in some jail cell.

Ok my sarcasm is done =)

TrueBrit

imported post

DDrake wrote:
I think the real issue here is how did these young men fall into a life a crime. We should closely look at their family background and what types of media they were subjected to. Obviously these men are victims to society and likely were infected by our culture of violence. To hold these men accountable for beating these two individuals up would be a tradegy of justice. Their actions were likely a combination of bad parenting, MTV, eating McDonalds, and playing excessive levels of Grand Theft Auto. What these robbers need is a group hug. Through wishful thinking and meaningful policy, we can save the lives of so many young men who beat innocent people to a pulp. It would be horrible to have these lives wasted in some jail cell.

Ok my sarcasm is done =)

Yeah, get Obama on the case! He knows the answers!

Perchance the "downward trend" in these robberies might be expedited if a few more of these thugs received the good news at around 1300 fps?;)

TrueBrit.

vrwmiller

imported post

DDrake wrote:

Ok my sarcasm is done =)
While it may have been mostly sarcasm, you do have a jewel in there. Yes, violence is a natural part of the human psyche, so I hear and read. However, I think most of our criminals are forged when they are young. Personally, I feel that the majority of criminals are forged by a lack of parenting.

On the flip side, parents are not completely to blame. As those youngsters mature, they should also be gaining a greater sense of personal responsibility.

67GT390FB

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Two city men attacked
By ELISA A. GLUSHEFSKI
eglushefski@manassasjm.com

Two Hispanic men, ages 26 and 30, were attacked in the 9700 block of Clark Place in Manassas around 11:05 p.m. Sunday, Manassas police said.

The victims told police that four black men attacked them while they were sitting in the parking lot in front of their apartment building and robbed them of their wallets, one containing $1,000 and the other $2,000, Neumann said.

The victims were not able to give a more detailed description of the attackers, according to police.

Street robberies, particularly when Hispanics were being targeted, jumped dramatically in 2005 and 2006 and became a serious concern for law enforcement in Manassas and Prince William County.

In that spike, a trend emerged: That small groups of young black men were preying on Hispanic immigrants because of the perception that they carry large sums of cash.I would say after a 3000.00 dollar haul that the perception is true. The illegals as opposed to legitimate immigrants(i notice the paper did not make that distinction)generally don't have bank accounts and just cash their checks at the issuing bank plunk their thumbprint on it and walk out with the dough.
Manassas crime statistics showed that those cases contributed to a 50 percent increase in robberies in 2005.

Lately, though, Neumann said there appears to have been a downward trend in street robberies, and that the victims and the descriptions of the robbers have been more mixed.

Anyone with information about the attack and robbery is asked to call the Manassas City Crime Solvers at 703-330-0330. Callers could earn a cash reward up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest in this case.