• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

having a voice recorder in case of bad LEO confrontation

Bubba Ron

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I have one, and have it with me every time I OC now. I even went so far as to duct tape it to my chest when we went to the Latino festival in Town Point park last saturday. Got to get me a little microphone for it.
Hey Rev, how'd the race go? I picked up a small microphone for mine - Sony Model ECM-T6 (Tie-Tac Lavaliere Microphone) under $15.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I just received my new voice recorder its a VN-4100PC from Olympus. It was about $60 but it works wonderfully. I wanted something I could start recording when I left the house in the morning and keep running all day. I have found that by the time you start recording a conversation you have usually missed something important. I bought some rechargeable batteries and this recorder will run about 18 hours. It has a shutoff so it doesn’t record dead air, and can pick up most people clearly from inside my pants pocket. Its about 4"x1.5"x0.5" (smaller than my cell phone). The bad however is when it is in my pocket it will often pick up the sound of my jeans rubbing against the mic.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1291

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
The bad however is when it is in my pocket it will often pick up the sound of my jeans rubbing against the mic.

You read that, LEO229? If you don't want your conversation recorded while detaining someone, just have him walk a straight line a la sobriety test during questioning.

That, or shake him or rough him up during questioning.

:D

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just curious. Is there such a thing as a good LEO confrontation?

Confrontation would seem to imply something negative.

AbNo

imported post

ilbob wrote:

Well, confrontation seems to be used interchangably for "encounter", as well...

I've had exactly one good encounter. Let's hope I keep that streak... :celebrate

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

4 results for: confrontation
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
–noun
1.an act of confronting.
2.the state of being confronted.
3.a meeting of persons face to face.
4.an open conflict of opposing ideas, forces, etc.
5.a bringing together of ideas, themes, etc., for comparison.
6.Psychology. a technique used in group therapy, as in encounter groups, in which one is forced to recognize one's shortcomings and their possible consequences.

[Origin: 1625–35; confront + -ation; cf. ML confrontātiō, F, MF confrontation
thinsp.png
] Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
=============================================
con·fron·ta·tion
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˌkɒn
thinsp.png
frənˈteɪ
thinsp.png
ʃən, -frʌn-/ confront + -ation; cf. ML confrontātiō, F, MF confrontation
thinsp.png
] Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
==========================================
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source con·fron·ta·tion
premium.gif
(kŏn'frŭn-tā'shən) Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.
    1. A conflict involving armed forces: a nuclear confrontation.
    2. Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas: an age of ideological confrontation.
  2. A focused comparison: an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.
con'fron·ta'tion·al adj., con'fron·ta'tion·ist n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
===========================================

WordNet - Cite This Source confrontation
noun
1.a bold challenge
2.discord resulting from a clash of ideas or opinions
3.a hostile disagreement face-to-face
4.the act of hostile groups opposing each other; "the government was not ready for a confrontation with the unions"; "the invaders encountered stiff opposition"
5.a focussed comparison; bringing together for a careful comparison
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

==========================================

AbNo

imported post

de·no·ta·tion [dee-noh-tey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression, as distinguished from the ideas or meanings associated with it or suggested by it; the association or set of associations that a word usually elicits for most speakers of a language, as distinguished from those elicited for any individual speaker because of personal experience.

con·no·ta·tion [kon-uh-tey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
2. the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning: A possible connotation of “home” is “a place of warmth, comfort, and affection.” Compare denotation (def. 1).

xmirage2kx

imported post

Citizen wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:
The bad however is when it is in my pocket it will often pick up the sound of my jeans rubbing against the mic.

You read that, LEO229? If you don't want your conversation recorded while detaining someone, just have him walk a straight line a la sobriety test during questioning.

That, or shake him or rough him up during questioning.

The good news is that you can still hear any conversation going on, it just sounds like it is a very windy day.

Oh and dont put it in a pocket with your car keys :uhoh:, doesnt work to well there.

MamaLiberty

imported post

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]This excellent book has some detailed sections on recording confrontations with police. It's well worth the few bucks and makes an excellent gift for any new gun owner.

http://www.javelinpress.com/you_and_the_police.html
[/font]

Expanded for 2005
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]You & The Police!
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]By Boston T. Party[/font]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]$16.00[/font][/align]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Until now, the average American has lacked a simple, up-to-date summary of constitutional law regarding confrontations with the police. More and more peaceable, law-abiding folks are being caught up in the widening police dragnet of roadblocks, checkpoints, searches, intrusive questioning and civil forfeitures. Americans have long needed a clear explanation of exactly where our rights end and executive power begins, especially if you travel or carry a gun.[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] More than a legal handbook, You & The Police! explains precisely how to win police confrontations using: sample dialogue, "what-if" scenarios, and practical tips. Armed with this book, you will know just how to avoid traffic tickets, bogus searches, roadside delays, and general harassment. Probably 90% of erroneous civil forfeitures from honest folks could have been avoided had they known about this book.There is no reason for us to be bluffed or intimidated by the police any longer.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]New for 2005: Forty added pages addressing new court cases, the PATRIOT Act and the (forever) War on Terrorism, and much, much more.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]You and The Police! is a unique, timely title with excellent credentials. [/font]

MamaLiberty

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]You & The Police!
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]By Boston T. Party

Ditto,great book.
Starts at $9.50 on Amazon.com

[/font]
Sure, but why support "Amazon" - the outfit happy to sell you out to anyone who wants to pay them for your information..... instead of the author?

Javelin Press is Boston's own company! Support those who support and fight for your rights! :)

DJ TURNz

imported post

-wrote

And as far as advising someone, I'm not sure that is necessary. A LEO/citizen encounter is a public, not a private one. Do LEO's inform citizens that their dash cam or audio recording is running???? I doubt it.

I was told I was being video taped and audio recorded when I was pulled over for speeding. I wonder if, since the officer consents to his recording device, that means he consents to yours as well.

Maybe you should wear a shirt that says "conversations monitored and recorded for quality assurance"

Particle

imported post

longwatch wrote:

That isn't necessary in a forum. If you use the URL tags properly, you can hide any URL by having it display whatever text you want. This works on all of the most popular forum software.

Code:
[url=http://www.somethingreallylongandboring.com/longurl/long.omg]Check This Out[/url]

Example (Using the long and phony URL above):
Check This Out

Legba

imported post

ilbob wrote:

Perhaps... There was one occasion many years ago when my crap car broke down and I had a shotgun left on the back seat. A local sheriff deputy saw me walking in the middle of nowhere (in the middle of the night as well)and asked me about the abandoned car. He took me back and offered to give it a look. It was dead, and nothing to be done about it, but then he commented that I was illegally transporting the shotgun (I had left the action closed). I assumed he was going to run me in, but he just said to transport it with the action open in the future, then told me to grab it and throw it in the cruiser, and that he'd give me a ride home (about 15 miles).

So... what appeared to be a confrontation turned into a genuine act of kindness. You never know, although I can't really imagine this happening these days.

-ljp

expvideo

imported post

See the southcenter thread in the Washington forum. I wish I'd had one, because all three cops lied on their reports.