• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dhoney75's comment from Southcenter thread

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dynamic IP that changes constantly;IP spoofing, that misdirects your actual IP or using a laptop with a wireless card that gets a new dynamic IP at nearly every login. But there are ways around even those too.

As for the Intelius info, that's all culled from public records, the USPS, etc.. Ever done an Intellius check on yourself? You'd be shocked at what's available! Traffic tickets, court dates, judgements, convictions, civil penalties, names of famaily and anyone that's live at any of your addresses, names of neighbors, every phone number you've had at each address, etc...

Mortech

imported post

By using a proxy , or even better by chaining several together . My favorite is a thing called Wardriving , just use someone elses wireless connection ....[ i]far[/i] [/i][/i]from your home . Gotta love laptops + wifi + power invertors . BTW the suppossed switch to IVP6 from IVP4 is supposed to defeat IP spoofing but hey who knows how long that'll work

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Did you guys notice that 'she' joined JUST to make that post......she only has two posts, the first one was that ignorant (IMO) statement, and the second was her 'justification'..

tsk tsk

There's a time and place for everything...

Sometimes you open carry, sometimes you conceal carry..

compmanio365

imported post

Actually, that will just be the generic location based on where IP addresses are handed out to a specific ISP and by location. A trace on my IP address at my house puts me out in NW Tacoma; I assume where Comcast has their gateway for this area. Tracing someone by their IP address will not give the exact location of where they are, despite what the movies portray. It is good for a general location, such as within a city or county, however, because the local gateway between the cable/DSL line and the fiber line to their main office or out to the Internet at large can only be so far away from you before you start getting signal degradation.....

A far more reliable way to obtain identity through IP address is to figure out what ISP it belongs to, and force the ISP to pull what customer that IP was assigned to at that time, and give you that information, including billing address. Normally it takes a court order to get that kind of information, however.....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Primer discovered that dhoney's IP is definitely from Tacoma. :monkey

Here's the Mapquest to the geo-coordinates:
Lat XXXXXXX
Long -XXXXX

Ain't the internet grand?

Bob, you're scaring me. So this can only be done by the moderators RIGHT? Boy,that reminds me not to go post to the other sides boards and to stay on your good side:D.

That's right. The moderator has access to the IP address that you post here from. Then, doing a couple of different kinds of searches on the IP addy gets you more information about the source of post (s). The specificity and quality of that info is variable. And interpretation of the info isn't always easy.

It's considered rather unethical for a mod to do personal reasons-basedresearch of a forum member's IP or hidden e-mail address, both of which the mod has access to. It's also considered unethical for mods to then make part or all of that info public. Usually mods will make up a flimsy reason for doing so, (potential spammer, possible troll, susptected infiltrator, security, etc.) to justify their actions.

All members should know that they have no rights whatsover regarding a mod going on fishing expeditions with their IP and e-mail addresses. If a mod wants to do it. No problem. Sometimes, a member will post from home and from work. Guess what? Now a mod doing a search on the IP address from work will likely be able to find out who you work for. Or maybe your e-mail addy is from your work or some other org you belong to. Even if you've designated it as non-public here, the mod can see it and do any manner of searches on it.

Does the mod have to have a good reason to start searches on your non-public info? No. Does the mod have to tell you? No.

There are no rights to privacy here. The mod just does it.

That's just the way it is. And no rules exist for any forum to even tell you that you are being investigated.

Usually, most forums don't want their mods to this. But there really is nothing to stop them from doing so, as BobCav has shown above.

Just as information, to some who might be interested, BobCav told me a couple of months ago that he was researching my posting IPs. I think the reason he gave is that he thought it relevant to the question of whether I OC'd or not.Bob had even started a thread on that very subject.

I suggested to him that their were ethical challenges in dealing with member info while being adversaries in some forum debates/discussions. I've since seen evidence to indicate he didn't take heed of my suggestion.

If I were a member on this or any other forum I'd be careful which e-mail addy and which IP addy I used on the forum. A mod can often use them against you. And, remember, no rights. Whatsoever. All you have to rely on is the judgment of the mod, the admin and the owner. And often the owner and admin don't follow what the mod(s) are doing. They're busy doing other stuff.

cato wrote:
That translates to the 5th or 6th property(depending on where the phone line connects)North of 36th Street in themiddle of the block on the East sideof South "L" Street, Tacoma, Washington, USofA!:shock:
Probably not. Depends on a few factors. And what it is that BobCav has provided coordinates for. He probably knows. But maybe not.

compmanio365

imported post

TOR + Privoxy

Best(free) way to be anonymous on the web.....using that I'd show with a different IP every time I loaded a page, and all referrers are blocked by Privoxy.....one minute I'm in Germany, next I'm in Japan....etc, etc....otherwise you are open to anyone who wants to see your information, such as browser, what site you came from, etc....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Actually, that will just be the generic location based on where IP addresses are handed out to a specific ISP and by location. A trace on my IP address at my house puts me out in NW Tacoma; I assume where Comcast has their gateway for this area. Tracing someone by their IP address will not give the exact location of where they are, despite what the movies portray. It is good for a general location, such as within a city or county, however, because the local gateway between the cable/DSL line and the fiber line to their main office or out to the Internet at large can only be so far away from you before you start getting signal degradation.....
Very true. Hard to tell from BobCav's post whether he knows that. If one is wanting to get a home or physical work location from an IP addy's geo-coordinates, they're gonna have to get REAL lucky.

Why Bob would publish geo-coordinates ofa gateway and imply they are for a specific user location, I dunno. Doesn't make much sense. Someone such asyourself will always be around who knowswhat it reallyis coordinates for.

compmanio365 wrote:
A far more reliable way to obtain identity through IP address is to figure out what ISP it belongs to, and force the ISP to pull what customer that IP was assigned to at that time, and give you that information, including billing address. Normally it takes a court order to get that kind of information, however.....

Used to be a time one could use contacts to get that info fairly casually. Not anymore. Few ISPstoday will give it up without recognizing the risk of doing so. Still, if you have the contacts, money, orboth, youmight be able to get it without a subpoena or court order.

expvideo

imported post

This is rediculous. Could a moderator please remove the locations that bobcav has posted?

No offense, but this is not the kind of place where we make people feel threatened for posting something we don't like. If you posted my geocoordinates after I said something "anti", I would be affraid for my safety. Please remove this.

Jesus Christ! That's just not cool!

besides, this thread has given dhoney75 more attention than ius needed, and I would recommend closing it. She was trolling, and we're just feeding the troll at this point.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Locations deleted. I've been playing on the net since the early 80's before there was a WWW and know full well it may or may not have been accurate, but not too many houses have gateways or nodes in them.

I have no acccess to e-mails, I can only edit or delete threads or posts and see IP's.

An incompetent script kiddy that can see you online any of a number of ways can find out your ACTUAL IP and location in a matter of moments. There is no guarantee of privacy anywhere for anything. Period.

I have too much to do that's more important as my business is taking off.

Oh, and taking the Lord's name in vain is even more not cool.

Let HankT moderate.

expvideo

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Locations deleted. I've been playing on the net since the early 80's before there was a WWW and know full well it may or may not have been accurate, but not too many houses have gateways or nodes in them.

I have no acccess to e-mails, I can only edit or delete threads or posts and see IP's.

An incompetent script kiddy that can see you online any of a number of ways can find out your ACTUAL IP and location in a matter of moments. There is no guarantee of privacy anywhere for anything. Period.

I have too much to do that's more important as my business is taking off.

Oh, and taking the Lord's name in vain is even more not cool.

Let HankT moderate.
Thank you BobCav, I appreciate it.