• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC without retention -- Irresponsible?

ParaWarthog

imported post

BTW, do you guys feel that a holster like this that leaves the ENTIRE trigger guard of a revolver exposed is dangerous? I, for one, would not carry with a holster like this. And yes, I do realize that the thumb break could potentially render the hammer useless, precluding it from firing, but imagine a snap that had a lot of use . . .

BI-5BHL.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I submit that these type holsters are for CC only!!!

I have one and would NEVER EVER OC with it. It just makes it far too easy to yank it out from behind by all.

With the thumb break... You have to get in there a little more to break the snap and then pull up. There is a push down action and then pull back. This will give the owner a quick notice that someone is there and he can have a split second longer to react.

Having the open top to me balances out the time to draw since in CC mode you have to sweep the coat or shirt out of the way.
Just for clarification, LEO... you are referring to open-top, passive retention holsters for CC only?
Ya... no other locking features except holster friction.

IMO.... this is for CC ONLY so that you can shave off a half second having to draw from under some clothing.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Personally I feel that Open Top holster would be better as a CC holster, due to the an easy "Gun Grab".

However I found that the Open Top COC Serpa holster with its retention makes me feel much better when OCing.

Do what YOU feel would help YOU out the best.

But as LEO said "Be aware of your surroundings".

I feel to tense and stressed out when I did OC with an Open Top holster, so I manufacturered a retention on the holster I did have at the time and felt a Little bit better.

Just my .45

LEO 229

imported post

I was just watching Fox Reality TV wherethis guy punched the female officer several times in the face breaking it all up and knocking her out cold!

Just prior to jumping back into his car... he pulled at the officer's gun but since it did not come out easily... left it behind.

Keeping in mind he had time to get it if he really wanted it.. It was not easy enough and not worth his time.

tattedupboy

imported post

I checked the Fobus website, and surprisingly, Fobus makes a paddleholster for my sidearm (the Hi Point C-9, the gun pictured in my avatar). I have read about the "passive retention" system used in Fobus paddle holsters. Can anyone explain what exactly passive retention is and if itmakes the holstersuitable for open carry? In the summer, my primary mode of carry is CC with a SmartCarry. However, for those days when I simply don't want to deal with the hassle of reaching inside my pants while sitting in order to draw, I want to havethis alternative available to me, provided that this so-called "passive retention system" is reliable. Any insight on it?

LEO 229

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
I checked the Fobus website, and surprisingly, Fobus makes a paddleholster for my sidearm (the Hi Point C-9, the gun pictured in my avatar). I have read about the "passive retention" system used in Fobus paddle holsters. Can anyone explain what exactly passive retention is and if itmakes the holstersuitable for open carry? In the summer, my primary mode of carry is CC with a SmartCarry. However, for those days when I simply don't want to deal with the hassle of reaching inside my pants while sitting in order to draw, I want to havethis alternative available to me, provided that this so-called "passive retention system" is reliable. Any insight on it?

"Passive Retention"

It means that a "firm jerk" is required to actually remove it from the holster.

I have a Fobus holster and it does "lock the gun in" and as I recallit does this by some catchesnear thetrigger guard. I do not useit sinceI do not like the resistance created.

It is an open top but technically has a built in "passive" security device. Someone trying to pull it out will be met with resistance unless they know to pull a little harder.

This type holster could be OK if used for OC but I would not use it myself. It is too inviting for someone to "giveit a go."

I am talking more on the types that are just leather and if you stood on your head... the gun would fall out.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
tatted....the passive restraint on a Fobus works by having a "tighter section" (for lack of a better term) in the trigger guard area that "snaps" onto the trigger guard as you holster your weapon...and likewise "unsnaps" when you draw. I enjoy mine very much and it seems very reliable...insofar as a passive restraint CAN be.
I have (just for S&Gs) rolled around on the ground, mowed my(very rough) lawn, rode a 4-wheeler and such without my weapon coming out....it won't even fall out when upside down without shaking it pretty hard.
In the end, like others have said, it comes down to personal choice......

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"Passive Retention"

It means that a "firm jerk" is required to actually remove it from the holster.
Hmmm. So if only a "firm jerk" can remove the firearm I should be ok wearing this. BUT, what about the other "firm jerk"'s out there. Won't they be able to take my gun?
Seems that nice people like BobCav will not be able to take my gun but what good does this do me???

SIGguy229

imported post

I've been mulling over this question for a while. The only time I OC with my open top Blade-Tech IWB is when I "VA tuck" when going into restaurants.

My alternative is a Eagle Industries ballistic nylon holster with a thumb break (a veteran of many deployments)

But, since I'm a big fan of the open top, I've ordered a Blackhawk SERPA holster and it should be here this week (hopefully I will get the mail before my wife does--kinda exceeded the gun budget this month)

Wooley

imported post

Where'd you get it? Serpas are cheap these days. Got one for the SIG for 30 bucks. But then again, if you're anything like me, 30 bucks exceeds the gun limit by about 28 dollars!:lol:

Be advised too thatthe Serpa is kinda bulky if you want to use it for CC, especially in the summertime,but the belt attachment hides it better than the paddle.

savery

imported post

I don't like friction holsters, because one, they scratch your gun. Two, they will either not stop someone from grabbing your gun, or when you're trying to draw the weapon, you might just get the whole thing, holster and all (at least for the paddle holsters - belt holsters are a different story.) I use a blackhawk for my glock. It's got a release lever that is right in line with your index finger. Just personal preference.

SIGguy229

imported post

I was going to use the Blackhawk strictly for OC...will have my IWB if I need to switch.

IRT gun budget--I bought TFOs for my P229; a new IWB leather holster & mag carrier for a P239/.40--that I have NOT bought yet, but use for my MK9; a spare (7-rd) mag for my MK9; grip screws for my SIGs; new carry belt (Galco Instructor); a Surefire E2D and carrier (from Blade-Tech)--all within the last 6 weeks. :shock:

Wife = :cuss:for the next gun-related item in the mail.

But I still "need" a P239 (aforementioned); AR platform; oh yeah, and a safe :banghead:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

savery wrote:
I don't like friction holsters, because one, they scratch your gun. Two, they will either not stop someone from grabbing your gun, or when you're trying to draw the weapon, you might just get the whole thing, holster and all (at least for the paddle holsters - belt holsters are a different story.) I use a blackhawk for my glock. It's got a release lever that is right in line with your index finger. Just personal preference.
What type of gun/holster did you use where it scratched the finish.

I use a fobus and SW Sigma SW9VE, never a scratch.

Lether however can do some serious damage to a firearm finish.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
savery wrote:

+1 .....leather seems to wear the finish faster from my experience.....and....as far as "getting the whole thing", it just "ain't gonna happen" with a Fobus paddle........

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
openryan wrote:
savery wrote:

+1 .....leather seems to wear the finish faster from my experience.....and....as far as "getting the whole thing", it just "ain't gonna happen" with a Fobus paddle........
Yup they'll just get the part with the gun.
:celebrate
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5224947140792220101

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
openryan wrote:
savery wrote:

He is referring to the gun owner getting the whole thing, as it may have too much retention with lose fitting clothing.

As far as the video, fobus is designed for conceal carry, and on most of the packages, and instruction booklets it states this. His first problem is that he is not wearing it as designed, neither do I or a lot of people, but I guess that is a risk people take for open top holsters with only passive retention.

And what moron would sit there and not resist that type of gun swipe? If you stand there like that you deserve to have your gun taken as anyone else would be more responsible with it than you are.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
openryan wrote:
savery wrote:

He is referring to the gun owner getting the whole thing, as it may have too much retention with lose fitting clothing.
That was what I was referring to.....
As far as the video, fobus is designed for conceal carry, and on most of the packages, and instruction booklets it states this. His first problem is that he is not wearing it as designed, neither do I or a lot of people, but I guess that is a risk people take for open top holsters with only passive retention.
+1
And what moron would sit there and not resist that type of gun swipe? If you stand there like that you deserve to have your gun taken as anyone else would be more responsible with it than you are.
Have to agree with you again openryan....I would also bet that the Serpa "could be had" in a similar manner as well....or any other "plastic" holster for that matter.....

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The damage is done man, I'll never carry with a Fobus. Sure a takeaway won't go as smooth in real life but with another holster I won't have to fight so hard to keep it.