• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC without retention -- Irresponsible?

steveforopen

imported post

To preface... I am at work and am procrastinating, dreaming of firearms and hunting...

I got to wondering, do ya'll feel that openly carrying a firearm without at least a thumb break holster is irresponsible or reckless? Don't get me wrong, I am in the camp that it is your right to carry a firearm any way you see put and I'm not one to say that you can or can't regarding which method you choose.

However, I think if every person thought to OC with a retention holster, alot of peoples gun-grab arguments against OC wouldn't apply nearly as well.

Not to mention, Safariland dutybelt holsters like the Raptor are simply amazing and well built. The chances of someone wrestling your firearm away from you are dampened extremely, what with the release buttons and decoy-straps. :dude:

Just a workday wonderment...

Molon labe

molonlabetn

imported post

I OC using a SERPA retention holster 90% of the time, for the reasons you pointed out. However, if I am going to be spending alot of time ina vehicle, or if I will be in a more 'gun-friendly' or low exposureenvironment (gun show, visiting friends/family, around the house, etc...) I'll wear my open-top leather. It's just more comfortable.

I don't feel any less secure like this, since it does ride high enough for me to easily clamp down on the gun with my elbow, and it is easy to conceal if the situation warrants discretion.

Retention is mostly awareness and avoidance... if a BG gest close enough to you to grasp you gun, you have greater problems than just a strap or lock can solve.

LEO 229

imported post

I submit that these type holsters are for CC only!!!

I have one and would NEVER EVER OC with it. It just makes it far too easy to yank it out from behind by all.

With the thumb break... You have to get in there a little more to break the snap and then pull up. There is a push down action and then pull back. This will give the owner a quick notice that someone is there and he can have a split second longer to react.

Having the open top to me balances out the time to draw since in CC mode you have to sweep the coat or shirt out of the way.

steveforopen

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I submit that these type holsters are for CC only!!!

I have one and would NEVER EVER OC with it. It just makes it far too easy to yank it out from behind by all.

With the thumb break... You have to get in there a little more to break the snap and then pull up. There is a push down action and then pull back. This will give the owner a quick notice that someone is there and he can have a split second longer to react.

Having the open top to me balances out the time to draw since in CC mode you have to sweep the coat or shirt out of the way.
Just for clarification, LEO... you are referring to open-top, passive retention holsters for CC only?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I wouldn't deem it irresponsible.

I would say it is irresponsible of the people that would grab the gun from you. I do not care how fast you are with a serpa or whatever, I will still be faster with my fobus no retention. And yes that does leave me a little bit more prone to gun grabs, but I think if you are attentive enough, you shouldnt have a problem. If someone comes up to you with a firearm in your face off gaurd, they will get your gun if you have it ziptied to your belt....

As others have point out, my holster as well comes up high enough that I can use my elbow to get leverage on it, if I need to sign something, or bend over, or hell, if I am just tired and want an arm rest :)!

I think some people thought legitimately believe that nobody will confront them because they have a firearm, but the truth is that many people are bold enough to do this, and if you let your guard down because of the false security, and you don't have retention, by the time you notice someone pulling on it, it will be gone.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
I wouldn't deem it irresponsible.

I would say it is irresponsible of the people that would grab the gun from you. I do not care how fast you are with a serpa or whatever, I will still be faster with my fobus no retention. And yes that does leave me a little bit more prone to gun grabs, but I think if you are attentive enough, you shouldnt have a problem. If someone comes up to you with a firearm in your face off gaurd, they will get your gun if you have it ziptied to your belt....

As others have point out, my holster as well comes up high enough that I can use my elbow to get leverage on it, if I need to sign something, or bend over, or hell, if I am just tired and want an arm rest :)!

I think some people thought legitimately believe that nobody will confront them because they have a firearm, but the truth is that many people are bold enough to do this, and if you let your guard down because of the false security, and you don't have retention, by the time you notice someone pulling on it, it will be gone.
+1openryan. I OC with a fobus holster on a daily basis. Maybe when Blackhawk makes a holster for a Ruger I'll pick up one of those, but I am happy with the Fobus holster for now.

steveforopen

imported post

I also OC with a fobus holster everyday. I have trouble finding a niceholster with retention for my P99 -- doesn't seem like BlackHawk makesa CQC for it.

I just want to spur some discussion.:p

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Serpa and other holsters of the like -- definately do have their merits, such as police, or anyone with a lot of contact with people. Police who may get into an encounter with a citizen are definately better off with a retention holster, as the gun is more prone to being grabbed, or falling out during a scuffle.

I wouldn't say either one is better, although they do have certain advantages to each, they can both be used responsibly.

One advantage I can think of with a no retention holster would be if you are pinned and only had one arm to reach around, it would definately be easier to access. But if you are ocing with it, chances are they already know the firearm is there...

LEO 229

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
snip.....

Retention is mostly awareness and avoidance... if a BG gest close enough to you to grasp you gun, you have greater problems than just a strap or lock can solve.
As always... you should be aware what is around you.

What about when your standing in line at a business and there will be people behind you and walking around? You cannot avoid everyone there.

People are going to be in very close proximity to you. Are you going to be hyper aware and keep looking behind you every three seconds?

Not that people get their guns snatched that often... An open top holster with no other retention mechanism can be an inviting target to someone eyeing up your gun.

steveforopen

imported post

From an activist standpoint, I feel as though if one did suffer a gun-grab and the holster didn't have retention, it would be extremely bad for OCers everywhere. I can just see the liberal media spinning it now... "Reckless gun-toter losesgun to criminal" which in turn could lead to reactive legislation.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I had my wife try to grab my gun from my holster before I used the fobus to OC, and it was not as easy as it might seem. It was discussed in another thread awhile back, but I have not been able to find a link. Anyway, I just stood there and let her try, and it still took awhile to get it. If I would have resisted, there would be no way she could have gotten it. The holster grabs on to the gun better than one would think. And combined with me fighting, or putting my elbow over the gun, I feel confident about being able to retain my firearm. Just my 2 cents

steveforopen

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I had my wife try to grab my gun from my holster before I used the fobus to OC, and it was not as easy as it might seem. It was discussed in another thread awhile back, but I have not been able to find a link. Anyway, I just stood there and let her try, and it still took awhile to get it. If I would have resisted, there would be no way she could have gotten it. The holster grabs on to the gun better than one would think. And combined with me fighting, or putting my elbow over the gun, I feel confident about being able to retain my firearm. Just my 2 cents

Hey Dngreer, did you notice that as the more you draw with the Fobus, the less retention it has? I practice drawing weekly and I notice that my Fobus loses more and more retention the more I do it. When I first got it, you could barely get the firearm out at a straight arc, let alone from an angle. Now, I feel that i can wiggle it out no problem.

Also, aware of any way to tighten it up?

bayboy42

imported post

openryanwrote:

"I do not care how fast you are with a serpa or whatever, I will still be faster with my fobus no retention."

Kind of bold claim isn't it? Any evidence to substantiate your claim?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

steveforopen wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Hey Dngreer, did you notice that as the more you draw with the Fobus, the less retention it has? I practice drawing weekly and I notice that my Fobus loses more and more retention the more I do it. When I first got it, you could barely get the firearm out at a straight arc, let alone from an angle. Now, I feel that i can wiggle it out no problem.

Also, aware of any way to tighten it up?
I haven't had that issue. I would check to make sure the rivets holding it together to make sure they are still secure. My holster has loosened up some, but I just push the Ruger deeper into the holster, and it actually seems like a better fit after some use. The only complaint I have is the rub marks it leaves on the gun. It has rubbed off the finish in at least two places. :XMaybe I should look a little harder for a better holster...:D I still can't draw at an angle. Straight out is the only wayI candraw, unless you spend some time wiggling the gun to loosen the grip.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
openryanwrote:

"I do not care how fast you are with a serpa or whatever, I will still be faster with my fobus no retention."

Oh no! I see an old west showdown coming soon! Millions will die! The anti gun people were right!!! Run away....run away.... Ok, I'm done with my sarcasm.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
openryanwrote:

Oh no! I see an old west showdown coming soon! Millions will die! The anti gun people were right!!! Run away....run away.... Ok, I'm done with my sarcasm.

Lets get a couple airsoft pistols and have a draw??

The claim may be bold, but I steadfastly believe that if you have two people draw and fire at the same time, the person with less retention wins, assuming they can aim properly.

1st freedom

imported post

I carry a Galco, Royal Guard, It's an open top IWB. It has much better retension than you might think for an open top. I have had family members try to romove it from me from behind, It hasn't happend yet. The firearm must be lifted "straight up" for it to clear leather. For someone to "gun grab" out of that holster is highly unlikely.

The holster also has a tension adjustment. It's kinda pricey,but I've had it for a few years now and really love it.

ParaWarthog

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
From an activist standpoint, I feel as though if one did suffer a gun-grab and the holster didn't have retention, it would be extremely bad for OCers everywhere. I can just see the liberal media spinning it now... "Reckless gun-toter losesgun to criminal" which in turn could lead to reactive legislation.

This is an incredibly good point. I can DEFINITELY see the politicians having a field day with something like this.

I, for one, use a Galco Model 59 paddle holster with a thumb snap when I OC. I do not open carry without at least a minimal level of retention.